PDA

View Full Version : Porcelain tile

greg lindsey
06-18-2012, 11:54 AM
Anyone ever tried cutting porcelain tile with a laser, I have a customer who needs about 15 pcs of it, the cheap .99c stuff from the Depot. He wants to cut a diamond shape out of the middle. I wasn't sure if it would cut, possilbly scoring it, so maybe he could break it out. Any thoughts?
Quick replies appreciated.

Greg

Paul Phillips
06-18-2012, 1:32 PM
Greg, I don't think you could cut it with a laser, but I set tile for a couple of years and I think you could try cutting through the back with a tile saw (so the radius of your blade won't be visible), would take an expert touch though. Another way might be to get a jig saw blade made for cutting tile, you would have to drill a pilot hole first, probably a slow and problematic way to do it but it is possible, set the tile on some sacrifice material like styrofoam sheet to minimize breaking force. Ideal way would be to find someone local with a water jet, (usually granite counter top places have them) that could cut it for you.
Hope this helps,
Paul

Martin Boekers
06-18-2012, 2:54 PM
Do some seaching and check local flooring shops for an existing product.

Here is a web page that has something similar (granted it's in the UK) but it does show
a similar product exists.

www.tilehq.co.uk/products/Harlequin-cream-cut-out-diamond-wall-tile.html (http://www.tilehq.co.uk/products/Harlequin-cream-cut-out-diamond-wall-tile.html)

Amy Shelton
06-18-2012, 9:48 PM
Hi Greg... my husband has installed tile for many years, and Paul is right-- cutting the diamond shape from the back side of the tile, using a water saw, will work. Some of the newer saws have a plunge feature which can help. Ceramic is generally easier to cut than porcelain. It's an easy thing to do if it's someone who is used to cutting out holes for plumbing in tile.

Like Martin said, there are tiles that have a diamond shape already cut out. American Olean Carriage House is one that comes to mind right off; we have a few of those in our showroom.