PDA

View Full Version : A highchair for our newest grandson

John Gregory
06-18-2012, 11:13 AM
Our youngest daughter had her first child on May 8. So my wife and I wanted to make a high chair for baby Craig.
The back of the highchair is Intarsia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intarsia) The high chair is made from hard maple with 6 coats of lacquer. We modified the original plan but making it 3” taller. The original plan’s intarsia was of a puppy rather than a teddy bear, my wife modified the plan to look like a teddy bear. The wood used in the intarsia is aspen, walnut, anigre, sapele and Spanish cedar. My wife and I build everything from rough lumber. She made the cushion too.

Thanks for looking,

Patrick McCarthy
06-18-2012, 11:32 AM
John and Mrs., Very, very nice! I have four adult daughters and in the next few years I think I will be making several of these. Very nice indeed. Where did you source the plans and hardware?
Thank you for posting, Patrick

Ken Fitzgerald
06-18-2012, 11:55 AM
Well......Grandpa and Grandma made an instant family heirloom of incredible beauty! That is gorgeous!

John Gregory
06-18-2012, 11:57 AM
The plans from a book we have, I will have to check on that. They do sell the plan here (http://www.woodworkersjournal.com/Main/Store/IntarsiaBacked_High_Chair_348.aspx) The hardware for the tray is from Rockler. We bought the safety strap stuff from a sewing store. We make the tray too, Rockler makes a tray, but when we got it, the quality sucked. So we made our own.

Stew Hagerty
06-18-2012, 12:14 PM
I'm a Grandpa myself and there is nothing more satisfying than creating something they the little one will use, play with, and/or otherwise enjoy. I made a rocking chair for my granddaughter for Christmas last year, and I had never enjoyed making anything as much as I did that horse. The chair is beautiful, the intarsia is impecable. Well done Grandpa, and Grandma too.

Don Jarvie
06-18-2012, 2:05 PM
That's really nice, great job.

Mike Hollis
12-06-2012, 6:15 AM
I am sure that will be treasured and passed to future generations.

Very nice work.

Sam Layton
12-06-2012, 12:04 PM
John, you and your wife are a team. You both do outstanding work. I can see your new granddaughter using that high chair for her new baby. The intarsia teddy bear really sets it off.

Outstanding work, Sam

Carl Babel
12-06-2012, 1:39 PM
That looks fantastic! The only problem that I can see is that the bear is so cute, the little one will keep trying to turn around to see it!

Mike McCann
12-06-2012, 2:13 PM
wow great team work that high chair looks great