PDA

View Full Version : “Tomorrow Is The Day”

Boyd Gathwright
04-04-2005, 8:50 PM
“Tomorrow Is The Day”

.... We start mowing for the first time this season. Today it was in the 60's and the weatherman says It will be in the 70's tomorrow. The grass is already growing and with the temps on the rise things will be jumping. Bought 15 gallons of “OFF ROAD DIESEL” fuel to top off my larger fuel tank at $28.50. Every time I go to town now I pick up 15 or so gallons. Word is that the cost of gas is going to roundly $4.00+ per gallon, $100.00 or so per barrel of oil. It seems that CHINA can't get enough gas and that is helping to run the price. So, I have a new mower, which I am itching to try out, and a new TWO wheeled WEEDEATER that is supposed to save my back and do a GOOD job.

.... What will YOU be doing with your grass tomorrow:eek: :p ;) ?

Boyd

Jim Becker
04-04-2005, 8:54 PM
“.... What will YOU be doing with your grass tomorrow?

Nada. Not for another month at least! Too wet, too, from all the recent rain...I really need to get the corn gluten meal on it, but it's way to wet to do it without leaving major ruts. I think there is a lake just below the surface... ;)

Roger Myers
04-04-2005, 9:04 PM
I'll be hoping the last of the snow disapears:)

Ron Jones near Indy
04-04-2005, 9:15 PM
I plan to fire up the John Deere tomorrow afternoon for the first time this year. Will give me about 80 minutes to relax in fresh air and under blue sky. Rain is to return Wednesday afternoon. Since it no longer takes 2.5 to 3 hours to cut the grass, I find the job relaxing. :confused:
Regular unleaded was up to $2.39 today. This may be the lowest price of the mowing season. :eek:

Jonathan Szczepanski
04-04-2005, 9:37 PM
I won't be cutting the grass until this weekend the earliest. It is just too wet. I just got my automower tuned up this passed weekend, but with part of the lawn torn up and the boundry wire broken, I'll need to use my back-up gas mower when the lawn does dry out.

Scott Donley
04-04-2005, 10:16 PM
Just finished mowing for the 4th time this year. Some times I hate this weather in Seattle!:)))

John Hart
04-04-2005, 10:39 PM
I was going to mow the grass on saturday but didn't feel like shoveling the snow to get to it.

David Fried
04-05-2005, 9:35 PM
My lawn is so small (How small is it?) that I have a push mower!
I hope I don't have to use it for a few more weeks but I'll lube it up and sharpen the blades in preparation.

Kurt Aebi
04-06-2005, 10:51 AM
I'm with Roger on this one!

Gotta wait until all the snow melts and the grass turns green again!

Roger - still snow on the West side of the Connecticut River too!

Karl Laustrup
04-06-2005, 5:44 PM
...I really need to get the corn gluten meal on it, but it's way to wet to do it without leaving major ruts.

Mr. B,
To the best of my knowledge I have no clue what corn gluten meal is. Or maybe I do, just call it something else. So what is it and what's it do, pray tell?

Jim Becker
04-06-2005, 5:58 PM
To the best of my knowledge I have no clue what corn gluten meal is. Or maybe I do, just call it something else. So what is it and what's it do, pray tell?

It's a natural product that serves as both weed control (prevents germination of seeds) as well as a fertilizer. It's also sold for animal feed. We use it on our lawn and it's time to apply. Unfortunately, when I stopped at Agway today after lunch with a coworker, their truck still had not arrived with the big spring shipment...rats! I was hoping to put the spreader on the back of the Kubota this weekend and get it down BEFORE the weeds start growing!

We do not use any chemicals on our property with the exception of a product that gets applied directly to a poison ivy vine--by the drop--to kill it...Dr. SWMBO is very alergic to it.

Glenn Hodges
04-06-2005, 6:16 PM
It was 90 degrees in my woodturning shop today, been mowing grass on my 2 acre yard for bout 2 weeks.

Michael McDuffie
04-06-2005, 6:25 PM
I've mowed my 700 square foot lawn three times so far this year.

I do NOT miss mowing the 9 acres we had at the "farm", it was so swampy most of the year it could take up to 30 hours to mow with my Kubota 4WD and a 48" brush cutter.

Michael

Karl Laustrup
04-07-2005, 8:57 AM
Thanks for the info, Jim. I will have to look into that here at our local CO-OPS.

Would I be correct that it comes in bags? What size? Average price? And I would guess it works pretty good in keeping weeds down and fertilizing also.

I just spent over a hundred on weed and feed for my lawn. I like a nice lawn and want to keep the dandelions out is the reason. Of course if gas keeps going up I may opt for a couple of sheep. Just have to paint them JD colors. ;) :D

Then I wouldn't need fertilizer either. :cool: :D

Whoa! this is sounding better and better all the time. :)

Jim Becker
04-07-2005, 10:28 AM
Bags, Karl. I don't remember the cost but it's reasonable. Just don't get it on your lovely's flower and veggie beds if seeds go in there!

Now...it's not as dramatically effective as the chemical stuff at first (but it also will not burn your lawn if you accidently drop too much in one place...), but over a couple seasons, it does a good job. And it's not poisonous to your animals, both domestic and "just visiting"...

Bart Leetch
04-07-2005, 11:57 AM
The landscaper has been cutting our grass for a little over a month here at the apartment complexes that we manage . Can you say mild winter? :D
The snow we had came down at night & just as daylight came along it warmed up & rained & that is just what we prayed for. We have what seems like miles of side walk even with a snow blower. We don't like the gas price hike either, but at least we don't have to drive to work. I do have to drive to Spokane the end of this month about 364.99 each way according to map quest.