PDA

View Full Version : QR Code interpreter

Mike Null
06-18-2012, 8:09 AM
I am bidding a job for 500 Cermarked SS pieces each with a different QR code. Does any one know of a Corel add-in/macro or other software which will let me import these like text or as text and then convert to QR.

I am trying to avoid doing each of these individually. I have a QR reader and generator on my cell phone.

Ross Moshinsky
06-18-2012, 8:18 AM
http://strokescribe.com/en/create-barcode-coreldraw-vba.html

Mike Null
06-18-2012, 9:07 AM
Ross

Thank you. I'll take a hard look at that.

AL Ursich
06-18-2012, 11:11 AM
That site is a Great Find !!!! Thanks, AL

matthew knott
06-18-2012, 3:45 PM
We do quite a few qr codes, luckily for us our laser can import them directly from a spread sheet so its just as case of sticking them in and pressing the go button, (no cermark either). One thing we have found that they are hard to read on stainless due to the reflection even on brushed, we engrave a light white box first them engrave the qr code on top, not sure how you can do this with a co2 and cermark but i would make sure the customer is happy with a sample before you run all 500, i was using a iphone to read them and before the white box they where a nightmare to get a read.

Richard Rumancik
06-18-2012, 5:00 PM
I agree with Matthew's comment - I had a Cermark job for QR codes and it did not go well - customer liked the first one, then they found that different phones behaved differently. (Some could read it, some could not.) I tried to improve this by sandblasting the surface before Cermark but I don't know that it was a 100% solution. (As well I was worried about affecting corrosion resistance by sandblasting.) In the end they went with a different solution; I got paid for some of my work but it was still a disappointment, with all the R&D that I did.

Mike Null
06-18-2012, 5:28 PM
I have made samples and discovered the same thing. As long as there is adequate light on the plate is reads just fine but without the light the contrast isn't adequate to allow the code to be read. (my plates are mill finish)

In my experiment, which was really to see how far away I could scan the code, I laid the plate on a table and there was plenty of light thus plenty of contrast; but when I stood the plate in an upright position (the way it will be installed) the ceiling light did not prove to be adequate.

In my research I read someplace that the contrast between the mark and the substrate must be at least 45%.

There is a solution in this outdoor application and that is to use a flashlight if the scanner won't pick up the code.

Plastic will work just fine but the customer doesn't want to use it.

Matthew, I could read your code with my Blackberry.

matthew knott
06-18-2012, 6:10 PM
If you can photograph it then you can read it, the contrast is dependent on whatever is being reflected by the shiny section left on the stainless, the last job we did was a redo someone else had done with cermark, that's why i know you need to be a bit careful, i found lasering horizontal lines on the background and then engraving the qr code in vertical lines made a big difference, it polarises the reflected light. None of this really helps you, sandblasting would help, brushing doesn't. Can you layer cermark, maybe a white square, then black on top? I have no idea! Be lots of work, maybe you cold find someone to do if for you, out of interest how long does a qr code take you to do and what size is it?
Cheers

Mike Null
06-18-2012, 10:26 PM
Matthew

Those options aren't available--sandblasting is but I refuse to do it.

The QR codes I tested were 3/4" square and took 43 seconds each using Cermark. Tomorrow I will run them at 2" square and see what the difference is in scanning at about 4 feet which is the target.