PDA

View Full Version : 200 Years Ago Today

Rod Sheridan
06-18-2012, 8:00 AM
We were at war.

Fortunately we've been good friends and neighbours since.

In Canada there are events to mark this anniversary, anything happening in the US in this regard?

Regards, Rod.

John Coloccia
06-18-2012, 8:09 AM
Well, we did get "The Start Spangled Banner" out of it, so in that sense I guess we commemorate it everyday, but other than that we don't do anything in the States. Honestly, I wonder how many people would even know what the War of 1812 is. I wonder how many people even know that Canada was essentially part of the British empire until the end of the 1800s, and that it was only 20 or 30 years ago that the final legal ties were broken with the UK. As a sovereign country, Canada is even younger than the US.

Rod Sheridan
06-18-2012, 8:58 AM
Yes John, we're a very young country.

And of course the War of 1812 was a war between the United States, and Britain.

It's the second war Britain fought here.................Regards, Rod.

Kevin Bourque
06-18-2012, 10:11 AM
I was born in America, but my dad's family is Canadian. If this war thing heats up again I'm not sure which side to support.

Rod Sheridan
06-18-2012, 10:41 AM
I was born in America, but my dad's family is Canadian. If this war thing heats up again I'm not sure which side to support.

LOL............I suggest neither...................You come to my place for a visit and a Canadian beer, I'll come to your place for a visit..........End of hostilities, too bad the rest of the world isn't run by wood workers........Rod.

Michael Weber
06-18-2012, 11:06 AM
Thanks to PBS I recently learned that the young US invaded Canada twice during the war and were handed their hats both times by the Canadian militia. Something I don't remember being covered in American history.:rolleyes: huh, wonder what else they left out?

Ben Hatcher
06-18-2012, 11:28 AM
....too bad the rest of the world isn't run by wood workers........Rod.
Ya, then the arguments would just be over who's got the best safety practices and if PVC DC lines are an explosion hazard. Arguments would be resolved by saying "fine, you do it your way" and that would be the end of that.

Rod Sheridan
06-18-2012, 12:13 PM
Thanks to PBS I recently learned that the young US invaded Canada twice during the war and were handed their hats both times by the Canadian militia. Something I don't remember being covered in American history.:rolleyes: huh, wonder what else they left out?

In my experiences it's been the burning of the president's mansion that's least known.........Rod.

P.S. We didn't do it, it was the British forces. Also the American forces were succesful, York was taken and burned on one of your excursions north of the border........Rod.

Belinda Barfield
06-18-2012, 1:41 PM
One of my ancestors fought in the war, so I have to stick wtih the US side. :D

I don't recall a lot of time being spent on this war waaaay back when I was exposed to American Hitory. Thanks for pointing out that today is the anniversary.

Andrew Pitonyak
06-18-2012, 4:12 PM
War with Canada? Have you not seen the movie "Canadian Bacon"? Had numerous very funny parts. The US President (Alan Alda) needed to rile up the people so he painted Canada as the bad guy. There was a group that took it to heart and decided to make an excursion into Canada and do the absolute worst crime that they could think of that might happen in Canada.....

Come to think of it, I suppose that we could argue if "Canadian Bacon" is really bacon. It would require lots ot taste testing....

Ken Fitzgerald
06-18-2012, 4:34 PM
200 years ago there might have been reasons for fighting a war.

Today? I would find it difficult to go to war with any country that gave us a classic comedy like "Strange Brew"........ That is on my short list of all time movie greats!

Chuck Wintle
06-18-2012, 6:00 PM
War with Canada? Have you not seen the movie "Canadian Bacon"? Had numerous very funny parts. The US President (Alan Alda) needed to rile up the people so he painted Canada as the bad guy. There was a group that took it to heart and decided to make an excursion into Canada and do the absolute worst crime that they could think of that might happen in Canada.....

Come to think of it, I suppose that we could argue if "Canadian Bacon" is really bacon. It would require lots ot taste testing....

it was a war with the British..Canada did not come into existence until 1867 and even then we were very close to Britain. Sometimes I wish we had chosen the American path of total independence....as it is now we technically are still connected to Britain with our Governor-General

Paul McGaha
06-18-2012, 6:05 PM

Today? I would find it difficult to go to war with any country that gave us a classic comedy like "Strange Brew"........ That is on my short list of all time movie greats!

Take off, eh.

PHM

Kevin Bourque
06-18-2012, 6:24 PM
Maybe our 2 countries could join forces and invade Mexico. We could do it at night when they are all asleep.

Chuck Wintle
06-18-2012, 6:26 PM
Maybe our 2 countries could join forces and invade Mexico. We could do it at night when they are all asleep.

i think they have successfully invaded us!

James Baker SD
06-18-2012, 6:34 PM
it was a war with the British..Canada did not come into existence until 1867 and even then we were very close to Britain. Sometimes I wish we had chosen the American path of total independence....as it is now we technically are still connected to Britain with our Governor-General

But I got to collect those lovely King George Canadian postage stamps as a kid.

Brian Kent
06-18-2012, 6:39 PM
I would never invade Canada. I honor the Lee Valley peace treaty.

Rod Sheridan
06-18-2012, 8:30 PM

LOL..........Well actually you were at war with Britain Ken, we just happened to be their colony.........Rod.

Jerry Hillenburg
06-18-2012, 9:55 PM
I am proud to be an American born and bred in Indiana - but I get a warm comfortable peaceful feeling when I see a flag with the Maple Leaf.

harry hood
06-18-2012, 11:58 PM
i think they have successfully invaded us!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Territorial_evolution_of_Mexico

Van Huskey
06-19-2012, 1:02 AM
The last time we were at war was in 1999, or so says the South Park movie... :D

Glenn Clabo
06-19-2012, 8:14 AM
The USS Constitution earned her nickname "Old Ironsides" during this war. She is parked just down the street from us and these next few weeks are going to be a celebration of her. There 90 x 45 foot flags unfurled as a reminder of the 200 years of peace between the nations that fought during the War of 1812.

John Coloccia
06-19-2012, 8:20 AM
I say we go for it, just to be on the safe side. Maybe I'll end up with a Lee Valley near me.

On second thought, I think the last thing I need is a Lee Valley near me. Stand down.

Rod Sheridan
06-19-2012, 9:24 AM
I say we go for it, just to be on the safe side. Maybe I'll end up with a Lee Valley near me.

On second thought, I think the last thing I need is a Lee Valley near me. Stand down.

I can vouch for that, I live 10 minutes from one Lee Valley store, and there's one 10 minutes from my work, my chequeing account hasn't recovered!

regards, Rod.

Belinda Barfield
06-19-2012, 10:29 AM
my chequeing account hasn't recovered!

regards, Rod.

Before we can join forces and invade we're going to have to do something about the language barrier. You can't pay a member of the American military with a "cheque". :rolleyes::D

Moses Yoder
06-19-2012, 11:05 AM
I am hoping we don't go to war with Canada, as that would probably mean the end of the Lee Valley annual plumb bob. I was hoping to collect a dozen or so and build a cabinet for them.

Rod Sheridan
06-19-2012, 11:58 AM
Before we can join forces and invade we're going to have to do something about the language barrier. You can't pay a member of the American military with a "cheque". :rolleyes::D

Wait till they find out our $1 coin (we have a $1 and $2 coin instead of paper money) is called a Loonie.......They probably will go for the cheque........LOL

harry hood
06-19-2012, 12:22 PM
The thing that struck me after reading a few books about it was how much and how widespread the opposition was to even the most minimal defensive military. This is an excellent book that focuses mainly on naval battles: http://www.amazon.com/Perilous-Fight-Americas-Intrepid-1812-1815/dp/0307454959/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1340122751&sr=8-1&keywords=9780307454959

Jim Rimmer
06-19-2012, 1:25 PM
Wait till they find out our $1 coin (we have a $1 and $2 coin instead of paper money) is called a Loonie.......They probably will go for the cheque........LOL

I used to travel to Canada a lot and remember the Loonie and the Toonie. :D

Larry Klaaren
06-19-2012, 1:44 PM
I guess all those people who think the war is over haven't seen the Black Hawks play the Canucks.