PDA

View Full Version : New Grizzly G0555LX

John Coloccia
06-18-2012, 7:01 AM
Anyone know anything about these? I was about to buy their G0555P...there was a good deal going on, but I got home and poof, it was gone. Now there's this.

What I really want is a decent, used 14", but they're incredibly hard to find in my area. I just went to see a G0555 in North Stonington, CT that the guy swore up and down was in great shape, hardly ever used, etc. I was even willing to pay $375 for it. After a 1 hour drive to pick it up, the thing is a rust bucket. The top was solid rust. It was stored in a barn for a year. The guy wouldn't budge on price. "It is what it is...I spray it down with oil before I use it." I gave a hearty laugh and left him with his rust bucket. Unbelievable.

I'm waiting to hear back on another one that's an hour away...if that falls through, I may be looking at new. I do need to get to the point where my big saw is setup for resaw/straightline, and everything else is on a different saw. I'm spending way too much time changing blades and setup everyday.

Ryan Wood
06-18-2012, 7:23 AM
I have heard a little about the go555lx. It sounds like it is a upgrade on the go555 for a lower price. If I were you I would wait and keep looking on craigslist for a used band saw because I spent almost nine months looking for a used band saw and i finaly found a realy nice delta 28 203 on craigslist 5 minuets from my house for 300 and its a great saw.

John Coloccia
06-18-2012, 7:36 AM
I wish I could. I need to do something this week, though...I'm just wasting way too much time in my shop changing blades, or getting poor performance because I didn't change blades. For example, thinking about what I have to do today, I have to change blades a minimum of 4 times to get it done. If I spend just10 minutes per change, that's 40 minutes just changing blades. I can't afford that anymore.

Bill White
06-18-2012, 9:58 AM
I've just finished setting up my 0555LX. The cast iron wheels are a real plus although it increases spin-down time. Fit and finish is quite good, all parts were as they should have been, the cast alum. trunion could have been a part made from cast iron, but all-in-all I'm well pleased with the saw. I will use 1/4', 3/8", and 1/2" blades.
I did not add the riser (yet).
I recomend the saw as a value in the 14" class.
Bill

John Coloccia
06-18-2012, 10:01 AM
You know, I actually have a line on a Jet JWBS 14CS used for $400. I think it's a bit much, but it's from my local new/used tool place (they're actually very well respected in the area...I know people that work there). I know they have to make a little profit. Anyone have any opinions on this saw?

Jon Toebbe
06-18-2012, 10:58 AM
I did not add the riser (yet).
It looks like a really nice saw -- especially for the introductory price. Please post a review once you put it through its paces. I know I'm not the only one looking seriously at ordering one in the near future. According to the Grizzly website, riser kits aren't available (http://www.grizzly.com/products/Riser-Block-Kit-for-G0555LX/T25555) yet. Did you order one? What did Grizzly say about delivery dates? Thanks!

Bill White
06-18-2012, 11:44 AM
Didn't know that the 0555LX would need a different riser from the one used on the 0555.
I added blades from a local industrial BS blade supplier.
The saw shows no sign of drift. I spent quite a bit of time setting thrust and side bearings as well as setting tracking. The saw comes with well crowned rubber wheels.
I have not done any resawing as yet, but regular tasks have been well met.
Bill

Van Huskey
06-18-2012, 1:48 PM
You know, I actually have a line on a Jet JWBS 14CS used for $400. I think it's a bit much, but it's from my local new/used tool place (they're actually very well respected in the area...I know people that work there). I know they have to make a little profit. Anyone have any opinions on this saw?

The closed stand had the 1hp motor and it has block guides which I prefer for a second saw since they do better with narrow blades than the low end bearing guides. Not a horrible price from a dealer if the saw is in great shape. I don't remember then making a blue closed stand version so it is probably white, I am not much of a fan of the blue saws, the white ones tend to be better built, Jet being a Asian importer from its origins just like Grizzly the quality has gotten better over time.

I have yet to see a 555LX but at the current pricing it has to be a best buy in 14" cast clone saws. Cast wheels are just a bullet point if you are using the saw as a second saw since you will never notice the cast wheels in use for thin material (on a 14" saw you may never notice them period but thats another story). The thing I like about the LX is their inclusion of a rack and pinion guide bar from the Shop Fox brand, the guide bar dropping is one of my pet peeves about 14" cast saws which this prevents.

Honestly, between the two I think I would get the Grizzly as the Jet is a little overpriced, but that assumes the Grizzly can get to you in your time frame.

John Coloccia
06-18-2012, 1:55 PM
The closed stand had the 1hp motor and it has block guides which I prefer for a second saw since they do better with narrow blades than the low end bearing guides. Not a horrible price from a dealer if the saw is in great shape. I don't remember then making a blue closed stand version so it is probably white, I am not much of a fan of the blue saws, the white ones tend to be better built, Jet being a Asian importer from its origins just like Grizzly the quality has gotten better over time.

I have yet to see a 555LX but at the current pricing it has to be a best buy in 14" cast clone saws. Cast wheels are just a bullet point if you are using the saw as a second saw since you will never notice the cast wheels in use for thin material (on a 14" saw you may never notice them period but thats another story). The thing I like about the LX is their inclusion of a rack and pinion guide bar from the Shop Fox brand, the guide bar dropping is one of my pet peeves about 14" cast saws which this prevents.

Honestly, between the two I think I would get the Grizzly as the Jet is a little overpriced, but that assumes the Grizzly can get to you in your time frame.

Well, the Jet was blue and it was old...missing the alignment pin (no biggie)...chewed up power cord (no biggie)...wheels were OK....bottom wheel was tracking a 1/4" blade halfway off the tire. I would have given him $300 cash for it...he did come down to $375, but I can get a better saw for $375. The value just wasn't there. I know he needs to make a profit, but for $400 it needs to be newer and in great shape.