PDA

View Full Version : White Oak Vase -SJPT

Roger Chandler
06-17-2012, 10:17 PM
This is a vase from the Stonewall Jackson Prayer Tree. I was commissioned back in March to do this turning......the lady wanted one like another I had done before......only the first one cracked :eek: at the base, but I managed to stabilize it. I put this one through the DNA soak, and after a couple of days pulled it out and wrapped it and put it inside a paper bag and weighed it about twice a week.............after 8 weeks it stopped losing weight, so I had an evening free today since it was Father's Day, and I thought some shop time was in order for my rest and relaxation :rolleyes::rolleyes:.

This one is 7.25 inches tall and 4.25 wide............has two coats of shellac to pop the grain and 7 coats of WTF on it...........it will look better tomorrow after this cures some.

Comments always welcome!

Roger Chandler
06-17-2012, 11:47 PM
This is fresh off the lathe...by about 10 minutes!

charlie knighton
06-18-2012, 2:44 AM
Roger, are you going to bring some of that Stonewall Oak to fisherville?????????

Roger Chandler
06-18-2012, 5:45 AM
Roger, are you going to bring some of that Stonewall Oak to fisherville?????????

Had not considered that, Charlie...........I guess I might could bring a piece or two to the instant gallery, provided I can find time to turn something and find some of the wood that has not cracked so bad that a decent project could be made.

I suppose you are speaking of finished projects, and not just wood itself?

charlie knighton
06-18-2012, 9:35 AM
yes, i was hoping to see some in the instant gallery

Tim Rinehart
06-18-2012, 9:51 AM
Roger, very nice piece. You're fortunate to have the opportunity to work with this historic wood and I'm always interested to hear what all your group has been doing with it.

I am at bit curious about the cracking at the base, and am wondering if perhaps too much meat is being left at the base, resulting in differential drying stress.

This base, if turned from green as with the SJPT, I would suggest you hollow out the base to maintain the same thickness of material as the rest of the piece. This could translate to a very pleasing little rounded section at the bottom to convey the shape of the rest of the vessel. Just a thought.

Roger Chandler
06-18-2012, 10:31 AM
Roger, very nice piece. You're fortunate to have the opportunity to work with this historic wood and I'm always interested to hear what all your group has been doing with it.

I am at bit curious about the cracking at the base, and am wondering if perhaps too much meat is being left at the base, resulting in differential drying stress.

This base, if turned from green as with the SJPT, I would suggest you hollow out the base to maintain the same thickness of material as the rest of the piece. This could translate to a very pleasing little rounded section at the bottom to convey the shape of the rest of the vessel. Just a thought.

Thanks Tim,

It doesn't show up on the pics, but the base is a little concave.........the cracks were there in the tenon that I turned off this when I roughed it out back a couple months ago. This wood is just really unpredictable except for the fact all of us who have had any dealings with this tree know it will crack if you just think about it!

A good bit of the wood will have to be cut down into smaller blanks for small items eventually. We still have some of the giant trunk on this tree and some of it is big enough for some bowls and platters, but the limb sections, even though some of them were bigger than a lot of tree trunks one sees, are just prone to cracking..........no doubt a lot of wind shake, etc also from centuries of this tree facing every storm mother nature threw at it for over 300 years...........it is what it is ........but still worth trying to make the best of it because of its historic nature. :)

Rick Markham
06-18-2012, 6:27 PM
This is super nice piece Roger. I really love the history (and character) of this wood. I'm sure every piece of it is going to be unique in how it behaves. I'm not surprised you guys see some cracking in the branch wood, oaks are pretty notorious for dropping branches (some still live, seemingly stable limbs) 300+ years of wind and storms are no help I'm sure. Every piece that y'all get from it is priceless in it own way IMHO, this one is certainly no exception!

You waste no time... hot off the lathe, straight to photographing, then show and tell time :D

Roger Chandler
06-18-2012, 7:10 PM
This is super nice piece Roger. I really love the history (and character) of this wood. I'm sure every piece of it is going to be unique in how it behaves. I'm not surprised you guys see some cracking in the branch wood, oaks are pretty notorious for dropping branches (some still live, seemingly stable limbs) 300+ years of wind and storms are no help I'm sure. Every piece that y'all get from it is priceless in it own way IMHO, this one is certainly no exception!

You waste no time... hot off the lathe, straight to photographing, then show and tell time :D

Thanks Rick...........one thing..........when this wood is gone its gone, so we are trying to get all we can from it......want to leave behind keepsakes that remind folks of the history.

Steve Schlumpf
06-18-2012, 7:41 PM
Turned out real nice Roger! Your customer will love it!

Kathy Marshall
06-18-2012, 9:40 PM
Very nice Roger! That wood's got some nice character to it!

Roger Chandler
06-18-2012, 9:42 PM
Thanks Steve..........and thanks Kathy........much appreciated!

Steve Vaughan
06-18-2012, 10:24 PM
Such a great story that will add value to the piece! Nice job on that, looks great!

Bernie Weishapl
06-18-2012, 10:27 PM
Roger that is a beauty. Customer will love it for sure.

Roger Chandler
06-19-2012, 7:04 AM
Such a great story that will add value to the piece! Nice job on that, looks great!

Thanks Steve!

Roger Chandler
06-19-2012, 7:05 AM
Roger that is a beauty. Customer will love it for sure.

Appreciate it Bernie............the finish does look better today than in the pics I took right off the lathe.