PDA

View Full Version : Gloat & an acquistion

Al Lupone
04-04-2005, 8:25 PM
On one of the forums someone had posted a few weeks ago that Lowes was clearancing the 60 gal CH compressors. Went there to check them out: again. The twin cyl, cast iron 60 gal, 10.5 cfm @ 90psi was missing the flywheel, belt & filter & had a sign on it for $398. The 3 cylinder, cast iron 60 gal, 13.5 cfm @ 90 psi with a 100% duty cycle & a 7500 hour rating was marked down to $564. Talked to the manager & he said if I took both, he would only charge me $500!. Got my friend over there & we loaded them both on the truck. Got home & called CH to order the original parts for the smaller one. Came to $88 with shipping. Put them on & yesterday sold it for $300. So my cost for the big one was only $288!

Second acquisition, I can't gloat about as it came from the ill health of a fellow woodworker. He had just set up a new shop in Jan. with the Delta 50-761 2 hp dust collector. He has congestive heart failure & his Doctor told him no more woodworking. Ended up paying $400 for a unit that had never been plugged in.

Richard Wolf
04-04-2005, 8:32 PM
Nice gloat on the compressor. Nice acquistion on the dust collector. I'm glad that you refained from the gloat.

Richard

Ray Bersch
04-04-2005, 9:03 PM
Al,
Last week I had an e-mail from Jim, the former owner of the dust collector, and he had just that day got out of the hospital - again, but he was feeling ok. Seems, though he is not getting better. Hope to hear from him soon.

The DC was too big for me and I am glad you took the trip to Maine to pick it up.

Ray

Dennis McDonaugh
04-04-2005, 9:38 PM
Good deal on the compressor Al. I'd like to run into a good deal on a large compressor like that. Hope your friend gets better soon too.

David LaRue
04-05-2005, 12:58 AM
Al,

Is that an old car hiding behind the compressor? If so what is it?

Dave

John Miliunas
04-05-2005, 7:53 AM
Al,

Is that an old car hiding behind the compressor? If so what is it?

Dave

David, you sure that's not a fairing for a motorcycle? Look like one without the windshield.:)

Al, awesome find on the compressor(s). One of these years I'd like to replace my oil-less unit, which is about loud enough to scare all the cows within a 1/2 mile radius around us! Bummer about your friend, but at least, the DC is being put to the use it was intended for.:cool:

Al Lupone
04-05-2005, 9:52 AM
Ray, I wish Jim all the best. Had never met him before but he & his wife are a wonderful couple. We had planned on heading up to Augusta to visit my brother, but he was down in my area visiting my father who had recently had an Aortic heart valve replacement. So, after leaving Jim we made it a point to stop in Portland Oldport for a seafood dinner.

John, you have sharp eyes. That is my old Honda Sabre with the fairing windshield removed. Between outfitting my garage as a shop & it costing $500 a pop to fill the gas tank on my boat, it may be time to clean the bike up & sell it.:)

Have a great day everyone.
Al