PDA

View Full Version : Lathe- Delta 46-522 questions/advice

Paul Raymond
06-17-2012, 6:52 PM
Hi- originally posted this in the general section. There is a Delta 46-522 lathe in my area for sale. It looks solid, discribed as "excellent" condition. This would be my first lathe and I would like to turn bowls as well as spindles, etc. Any advice out there? Thanks.

PR

Kyle Iwamoto
06-18-2012, 9:28 PM
Bump. No one? I thought he'd have quite a few comments by now.....

Paul Raymond
06-19-2012, 6:31 AM
yeah, me too!:)

Dick Strauss
06-19-2012, 11:34 AM
I found the listing in your area...these lathes were common in schools. It uses a reeves drive for speed changes (as evidenced by the speed change handle). It looks to be in decent shape and will have some heft to it. The low speeds may not be the best for bowls since it is a spindle oriented lathe (slower=better for bowls that start off out of balance). The slow speed is probably in the 600 rpm range. Check to make sure you can get the faceplate, drive center, live centers, etc off the machine. Also make sure that they are snug when they are installed on the machine. Make sure that the reeves drive is functioning because they can be a pain to repair/find parts for if they are frozen. Also, be aware that if it is a three phase machine (plug uses four blades instead of three), you'll need to buy a VFD to run it on a home service. If the unit has no plug on the end of the cord, keep in mind that three wires in a metal flex conduit may be three phase (they may be using the conduit as the ground). If the machine is 3-phase, it is also a good reason to bargain with the buyer to get the price down if they don't know about how inexpensive VFDs are now. If the machine has three conductors going through a contact block/switch it is three three phase.

If necessary, a VFD (Variable Frequency Drive) can be had for about $100 and will allow you to change speeds electronically as well as mechanically (through the reeves drive).

go over to vintagemachinery.org and search for the Delta 46-525 for parts lists and pics of restored machines. The model 46-525 and 46-412, 46-541 variable speed look to be similar but later.

Take care,
Dick

Paul Raymond
06-20-2012, 8:31 PM
Thanks for the information...I have already decided against mostly due to the limitations of what I an do with it. It would nice to have If my resources and shop were as big as my wish list!

Paul