PDA

View Full Version : Well, that was close.....

Kevin W Johnson
06-17-2012, 6:19 PM
I've always known about the possiblities, and followed my own self-imposed rule about not leaving the clothes dryer running unattended. My wife was actually in front of the dryer when the breaker tripped, and when I heard the commotion, I headed that way. When I got there I could see a glowing from underneath the dryer, and a burning smell. Disassembly revealed a wire that worked it's way off of one of the thermal cutoffs and contacted the front inside of the dryer. The burning smell was from the small lint accumulation in the dryer that put itself out. It's not terminal for the dryer, I replaced the crimp terminal, made sure the other 3 were tight, and put a zip tie on the wires to prevent future issues.

Thought I'd post this for anyone that does, or might be tempted to leave the dryer running unattended.

Steve Schlumpf
06-17-2012, 6:26 PM
WOW!!! Now that is scarey!! Glad you were there when it happened and repaired the connection! You are right... that was way too close!

Steven Green
06-19-2012, 2:01 AM
Glad it turned out ok. Now I'm gonna be sitting in front of the dryer all the time though.

Rod Sheridan
06-19-2012, 9:27 AM
I always leave my dryer unattended, however I do clean it out twice a year when I replace the smoke detector batteries.

I have a gas dryer and they are direct fired, no heat exchanger so the open flame is in the base of the cabinet.

Glad it worked out for you..................Rod.

Pat Barry
06-19-2012, 7:56 PM
Theres always the clothesline. Good luck.