PDA

View Full Version : Miller's Falls 61A???

steven c newman
06-17-2012, 3:50 PM
In a box marked "25 cents each" found a "little" screwdriver. Marked as a M-F 61A, pat. date MAR 30 1926. looked like a few teeth marks on the dark red handle. No rust ( no fun in that) and it does work!:eek: A picture of the $.25 tool?234728all closed up. That saw set and jointer were also in that box. And for the opened up shot234729The two block planes were $3 each. I tried a shot of the barrel area234730Not the greatest. Translation, from the top: MILLER'S FALLS Co. GREENFIELD MASS. MADE IN USA No. 61A PATENTED MAR 30 1926 Upside down triangle with Miller's falls Tools, and and date.

It does have a forward....L......Reverse marked as " R.....O....L" and there is a collar to let the "Yankee' part out, or lock it back home. Another collar will pull back to change bits. This one came with just one...:mad:.

Not a bad day......:D

John Gornall
06-20-2012, 11:26 AM
I have a MF 61A just like that which I inheirited from my Dad. I used it when I was a kid and it worked fine but since it came into my possession in recent years I've never been able to get it to work. Taken it apart, every piece, cleaned and oiled but when reassembled it just won't slide. Anyone have a reference on servicing one of these drivers, thanks.

steven c newman
06-20-2012, 1:05 PM
Where the slide goes in, there is a "locking collar". Make sure you rotate it to unlock the slider. You can either lock it all the way out, or all the way in. In the "unlock' position, slider should move.

John Gornall
06-21-2012, 1:10 AM
I'm familiar with the locking collar. It's the mechanism itself - if I wiggle it I can get it to go in and out but roughly and continuous jamming. I'll have to try taking it apart again.

steven c newman
06-21-2012, 1:34 PM
Mine had a lot of shaving-looking black junk coming from the inside of the cylinder. Your's may have a chunk of shaving stuck inside. Maybe a LIGHT coat of grease before you close it back up? I gave mine a shot of WD40, for now, seems to help get the junk loose and out.