PDA

View Full Version : Tools for a youngster

Jill Tardiff
06-17-2012, 3:31 PM
Hi All,

My nephew is turning 10 and is very interested in learning carpentry/woodworking. His mom's general contractor is a great guy and build him a workbench and is going to help him with his first project. I wanted to get him a few well-made tools, a good hammer and the contractor suggested a bevel square and an adjustable T-square as well.

Two quick questions:

1. Any specific types of bevel / T-square? I want this stuff to last, My husband still has the tools his father gave him 40 years ago... Any particular brands I should look for?

2. Any other basic tools come to mind? No saws or power tools, though....:rolleyes:

Much appreciated,

JT

Dale Cruea
06-17-2012, 3:50 PM
Buying tools without the basic knowledge of the tool can be tricky in my opinion.
I purchased some tools for my 9 year old grandson a while back.
My suggestion would be to take him with you and let him select some basic tools that will fit him at this time in his life.
A hammer will be small and not much good for pounding large nails but he will not be able to handle a larger hammer for a few years yet.
A screw driver that has a handle he feels good with. A good square would be fine however for a 10 year old boy one from Lowe's will do for now.
Along with learning how to use a tool he needs to learn how to care for a tool.
I would not buy a young person just starting in woodworking an expensive tool until they have learned to take proper care of the tool.
Most tools from Home Depot and Lowe's are OK for the to start with.
I try to buy tools as my grandson is learning to use them.
Hammer, both types of screw drivers, a file, a square of some sort, possibly a small hand drill and a small hand saw.

Jon Toebbe
06-17-2012, 4:34 PM
You can build a lot of nice things held together with nails. I'd recommend something fairly small -- maybe an 8 oz claw hammer? A wooden handle can be easily repaired/replaced is damaged and customized with some sandpaper and patience. A few nail sets and a putty knife would be handy, too.

My kids are fascinated with an old eggbeater-style hand drill I picked up for five bucks at a flea market. Here, buying new is a bad idea. Old, used but not abused hand drills were in every handyman's tool box in the early 20th century. The neanderthal forum will have a lot more to say on that subject. A couple of screwdrivers and some drill bits (don't forget a countersink!), and he's ready to glue and screw together just about anything.

Opinions may differ, and of course mom has the final say, but ten is probably old enough to responsibly handle chisels and hand saws (with supervision/instruction as needed). Inexpensive japanese pull saws are readily available and work extremely well. They are *very* sharp -- but it's better to nick yourself with a hand saw and learn respect for sharp things than to be either fearful or careless around powered saws. The Marples chisels sold in a set of four at the Home Depot aren't bad, given their price, but I'd recommend getting one or two good chisels than four adequate ones. Search the neanderthal forum for recommendations and while you're there, search for "Scary Sharp" -- an easy and inexpensive way to get/keep the chisels sharp enough to be safe in use. A dull chisel is both useless and dangerous. Another great tool for young hands is a block plane. I was fascinated with them in woodshop in middle school, and they are extremely helpful in trimming and fitting parts together. An inexpensive vintage model (Stanley, Millers Falls, etc.) is definitely the way to go here. Again: consult the neanderthals. They'll be glad to point you in the right direction.

Layout tools are essential. A combination square (get a 6" model in a better brand rather than a disposable 12") is an immensely useful tool to have. I use a wooden marking gauge constantly (several, actually), and inexpensive beech models work just as well as the fancy rosewood/brass models. A small measuring tape is very convenient, but can be rather coarse for woodworking -- especially if abused.

Kyle Iwamoto
06-17-2012, 4:42 PM
I'd go Craftsman, since they have a waranty, you can get the square replaced WHEN he drops it and it goes out of square. Depending on the clerk at the register, they give you a new hammer if you break the handle, a new screwdriver after you bend it prying a timing chain sprocket loose.

For a saw, I'd say a miterbox/back saw combo. At 10, I could not cut a square edge.

Good luck and support his interest. This world is running out of craftsmen.

Pat Turner
06-18-2012, 2:12 AM
I'd go Craftsman, since they have a waranty, you can get the square replaced WHEN he drops it and it goes out of square. Depending on the clerk at the register, they give you a new hammer if you break the handle, a new screwdriver after you bend it prying a timing chain sprocket loose.

For a saw, I'd say a miterbox/back saw combo. At 10, I could not cut a square edge.

Good luck and support his interest. This world is running out of craftsmen.

As the parrent of a large 10 yo:
Harbor freight has a neat japanese Dovetail like saw. Don't buy it without a vise or clamp
Like someone else said, kids love egg beater drills.
A 1/4" nutdriver (or 5/16 or #2 robertson) is better for screws than a "screw driver" true for me and my 10 and 6 yo. Of course buy matching screws.
If they will take care of it,a nice 12oz vaughn hammer will last a lifetime and is a fine tool for light work.
Large NN pliers to hold nails when starting.
Harbor freight makes a nice cheap set of pliers and screwdrivers that probally will get lost as they are used arround the house.
Sanding block and 80 grit paper allows for custom shaping on small items.
My son gets a lot of use out of a voltmeter for checking batteries. He has laid claim to one of my Fluke 87s.
A jig saw is a good first power tool. Pretty hard to sever a finger with it. Drills are fairly safe, but cheap cordless drills are often short lived (not allways- A friend bought one from Sams with the Kawosaki brand. Its lasted 4 years and dozens plus of charges). Drills are hand arroudn the house, Jig Saws for building stuff.
Get him used to wearing good safety glasses (not goggles)- find a pair that fits his head. expect to pay $7-12. Good brands are crews and A/O safety. Once he starts using power tools these are important.
Both my kids and I were fasinated with hack saws. Something about being able to cut metal.
Speed square is not only a square but can be used to draw parallel lines, Also probally the most durable square. An aluminum SS will last a lifetime.

Probally more important is material. Get some kid sized material ripped up. 1/2" plywood can be ripped into board sized pieces.

I'm buying or building my kids a miter box ASAP. Great idea.

Steven Triggs
06-18-2012, 3:03 AM
I was using a 16 ounce hammer when I was 10. It always wore my arm out pretty quickly, but it seemed like the "kid size" hammers were useless.

My parents allowed me to use a power drill. I also was allowed to use a small benchtop bandsaw and a jigsaw. It was a few years later (probably around 13 or 14) when I was allowed to use the circular saw (which I promptly mounted upside down on a sheet of plywood to make a table saw).

Bottom line is that this is going to vary a great deal based on the kid. The more responsibility and care he shows, the more "dangerous" of the tools he can be allowed to use. Also of great importance is proper supervision at first (until he "proves" himself) and proper instruction on safe and proper use of the tools.

Also, it is probably a good idea to require that he only use the more dangerous stuff (even after direct supervision is no longer required) when a driving age adult is home just in case an injury needing medical attention does occur.

Jon Toebbe
06-18-2012, 11:25 AM
Here's a good thread on a similar topic: Neander Kids Tools (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?76340-Neander-Kids-tools).

A good recommendation from that thread was getting him a Razor Saw (http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/page.aspx?c=&p=55600&cat=1,42884). Very inexpensive, but very good quality. The general purpose saw and the aluminum miter box would be very handy, and is a "real" tool. Steer clear of the "kids first tool sets" that you'll find.

Rich Engelhardt
06-18-2012, 3:31 PM
The multifunction tools, like the Fein and it's clones are super handy and super safe.
Unlike other power tools/saws, you really have to work hard at it to cause any injury.
The blade design and short stroke make cutting skin next to impossible.
A simple slip of the tool isn't anywhere near enough to cause any injury.

Mike Heidrick
06-18-2012, 8:45 PM
Startw ith tools then get quality after he sticks with it

Hand saw or jigsaw
12V or corded drill
Kreg jig (with drill bit, kreg screws, clamp) and a kreg DVD or two
some pine or other wood from a box store
12' Tape measure
Tool box
sand paper
block plane
chisel or two
set of screwdrivers
woodglue
pencils and paper

You could build a ton with that - from a birdhouse to a table to skys the limit

Jill Tardiff
06-18-2012, 11:14 PM
Guys,

This is exactly what I was looking for -- can't thank you enough. And yes, I definitely wanted to avoid the kid's tool set gear. And he's a good size 10 year old.

And in all honesty, I never wandered by the Neanderthal's part of the forum ;) - so now I know.

I think the nice thing is that if I start with some basic, solid tools I can periodically add to his set as the need arises and his skills improve.

He's been glued to his mom's contractor for years, he will be thrilled.

Thanks again for the detailed input!

JT

Tom Walz
06-19-2012, 11:19 AM
I bought some kids tool sets and reviewed them on our blog before Christmas last year. www.carbideprocessors.com (http://www.carbideprocessors.com)

Most were junk. A couple I thought were dangerous. (A crooked hammer with the head pinned on.)

I cruised the specials at Home Depot. I went with full size tools because that is what I used as a kid.

Don't forget plenty of nails and scrap lumber.

Tom

Prashun Patel
06-19-2012, 11:45 AM
Personally, as nice a guy as the contractor is, I wouldn't stock any tools for a 10-yr old unless there's a permanent mentor in place like Dad or Mom.

A better 'tool' for a 10-yr old might be some kind of erector set or kit that can be completed with few tools that mom can help with.

Jill Tardiff
06-19-2012, 12:09 PM
Personally, as nice a guy as the contractor is, I wouldn't stock any tools for a 10-yr old unless there's a permanent mentor in place like Dad or Mom.

A better 'tool' for a 10-yr old might be some kind of erector set or kit that can be completed with few tools that mom can help with.

With all due respect, not every kid has a dad. The contractor lives two doors down and while Mom can supervise, she knows nothing about the process. As I noted the contractor friend has offered to directly mentor the boy -- note one of his first suggestions was for a bevel T to teach him "the right way".

Their entire house is filled with his erector set creations. He expressed an interest in building something "real". None of the adults who know the child in question think this was an outlandish approach.

Prashun Patel
06-19-2012, 12:52 PM
I'm sorry, Jill. I didn't mean to imply anything offensive. Reading my post back, I can see it can be interpretted like I'm trying to be superior. I'm sorry; I didn't mean that and I didn't mean to step over the line.

I guess what I'm trying to say is the obvious: just be sure he's got safety supervision during those times he may wish to work in the absence of the mentor.

Sorry, again.
I'm a parent too, and I appreciate what yr doing.
- p

Cary Falk
06-19-2012, 1:01 PM
I started out using my dad's hand saw, hammer, screw driver, and brace and bit. I don't know what age I was but I carried a hammer around for as long as I can remember. I agree that most of the tools at Home Depot, Lowes, and Harbor Freight would be fine. A ten year old is probably not going to take the best care of things. I eventually moved up to power tools, but I did the most harm to myself with hand tools( but I still survived). The same is still true today. :eek:

David Posey
06-19-2012, 2:58 PM
If you go with anything neander (saws, planes, chisels, etc.) you need decent workholding for it to be safe. If they are edge tools he also needs a way to sharpen them, or else they are not safe. I think chisels and a block or jack plane are a good place to start. I understand the contractor is helping him build a workbench, so workholding is something to keep in mind. A good bench with a good vise and holdfasts is incredibly useful no matter what kind of woodworking you do.

daniel lane
06-19-2012, 3:51 PM
I starg\ted ous using my dad's hand saw, hammer, screw driver, and brace and bit. I don't know what age I was but I carried a hammer around for as long as I can remember. I agree that most of the tools at Home Depot, Lowes, and Harbor Freight would be fine. A ten year old is probably not going to take the best care of things. I eventually moved up to power tools, but I did the most harm to myself with hand tools( but I still survived). The same is still true today. :eek:

I was 15 when I got the scar on my right thumb that I refer to as "don't push on a screwdriver", and 13 when I got a similar one on my left that I refer to as "don't push on a wrench". I definitely hurt myself with hand tools more than power tools, but there's something scary about power tools that leads to a greater respect for the tool. (I also have "don't be the sucker in engineering lab" on my left hand, where I was bumped when measuring broken, elongated metal after an Instron test and jammed an equivalent 1/8" chisel into it, so they aren't all self-caused!)

As the father of two young children, I greatly appreciate what you're doing, Jill, and don't mean anything negative by the above. In all three cases, the scars left appear to be coincidental, none of the injuries required anything more than some bactine and a band-aid. ("Coincidental" since I have injured myself in similar manners many, many times, but these three injuries left scars.)

Regarding tools, I tend to agree that the HD/Lowe's options are probably sufficient. I still use screwdrivers and pliers that I was given almost 30 years ago, albeit more for home projects than woodworking, so don't discount getting decent ones there! As far as chisels go, I am probably in the minority on this - I actively recommend such tools because I think once the kid reaches an age where they can reason and be taught safety, they should have controlled access to sharp things to develop good skills. Cub scouts are trained and can use a pocket knife with supervision by age 8 - by age 10, they are allowed to use bow saws. Boy Scouts, the youngest of which can be 10, can use an axe with training! Withholding sharp tools from a 10 year old sounds like helicopter parenting to me, and I hope I never do it with my own kids. Regarding the "sharp" part, Lie-Nielsen Toolworks has a warning - "Sharp chisels are dangerous and should be handled with care. Dull chisels are even more dangerous and should be sharpened." I believe this firmly, and believe that if a kid is old enough to use an edged tool, it should be properly sharp to do the job, not dull enough to limit cut injuries but significantly increase the risk of stab injuries. Forgive me, I'll step off my soapbox now! :o

Best of luck with your nephew, and good on you for supporting him! I'll throw out there as well that if you become a contributor to the site, you can enter the freestuff drawing I have going currently for a set of chisels. Assuming you are okay with gifting them to him, of course!

daniel

Carl Babel
06-21-2012, 4:48 AM
In addition to a decent set of tools, I suggest that you give your nephew a set of starter projects.

The first one that I would recommend would be a bench hook. Here are some nice instructions on how to build and use them:
- http://www.popularwoodworking.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/10//Bench-Hook.pdf
- http://www.finewoodworking.com/Workshop/WorkshopPDF.aspx?id=24112

For project number 2, I suggest a bench block. He should use the bench hook as much as possible while building the bench block:
- http://www.popularwoodworking.com/woodworking-blogs/editors-blog/get-a-grip-and-save-your-back

For project number 3, I recommend a tool tote (build with both the bench hook and the bench block). I really like this one:
- http://www.handymanclub.com/diy-projects/articletype/articleview/articleid/5358/tool-toting-sawhorse

Don Orr
06-22-2012, 12:51 PM
Wow-tons of great suggestions and I agree with most of them. One thing I would add is a toolbox to keep things organized and together. And you can't go wrong with books and viedos either. Sounds like one lucky kid to me. I hope his interest continues to grow.