PDA

View Full Version : Well did I do it right?

John Shuk
04-04-2005, 8:01 PM
I picked up some QS cherry yesterday at a ww'ing show as it came off the Wood-mizer(drool). I got 4 boards 50"x8 1/2"x1" and 1 board 36"x8 1/2"x1". Not a huge haul but very nice all heartwood with a real nice pink cast to it. $20 for all of it(gloat). Well to store it I have a wooden firewood rack that I put a piece of OSB across the bottom to block the ground moisture from the first piece. I then put stickers about 16" apart and stacked them up. The stickers are a mix of poplar strips and strips of 3/4 plywood. Each level has only one type of wood for consistancy. On top I put more stickers and a piece of plywood wider than the boards to cover from the elements. I put a 2x6 along the length with three flat patio blocks for weight. I made a frewsh cut across each end and sealed them all with anchorseal as well. I know it isn't a major haul but I want to start air drying my own wood and I am starting with this. Does anyone see where I might be asking for trouble here? The spot gets some sun but has some trees overhead to filter it. Any feedback would be helpful. Thanks.
John

Scott Banbury
04-04-2005, 8:54 PM
Sounds good except I recommend getting at least 5" of free air under your stack maybe put the whole thing on top of two 4x4s running the length of the stack.

John Shuk
04-05-2005, 3:42 PM
Thanks Scott. I'll try that.

Rob Russell
04-05-2005, 5:27 PM
The only other thing is that you want to make sure the base of the stack is flat. If it isn't you'll be drying your boards into a noodle shape.

John Shuk
04-05-2005, 6:57 PM
Good point Rob. I think I'm ok in that respect but I will take a second look. The frame it is on is made of 2 2x4s running parralell so there is clearance from the ground but I put the osb in as the bottom piece in the stack as a "sacrificial" offering to the ground moisture gods.