PDA

View Full Version : Delta/Rockwell 46-522 Lathe??? Info please

Paul Raymond
06-17-2012, 2:01 PM
Can anyone tell me about this lathe? What is a Reeves drive? I think this model has that, some sort of transmission I suppose. Thanks!

PR

mickey cassiba
06-17-2012, 4:22 PM
Paul, a Reeves drive is a variable speed drive that utilizes two pair of adjustable sheaves. Opening or closing the sheaves increases or decreases the effective length of the belt which gives you the adjustable speed. They can be problematic at times, and Delta's history with the system has not been stellar. If you are considering purchasing this lathe be forewarned, many parts will not be available through 'normal' sources. My service manual shows the last update in '97. I do have a copy of the exploded art and parts list, that I'll scan for you if you need it. The model number is not listed directly, as in a lot of Delta/Rockwell crossovers. PM me if you want a copy.

Kyle Iwamoto
06-17-2012, 4:35 PM
Did you know this site has a Turner's Forum? Post this there, you'll get much better exposure. Are you contemplating buying it? There are a couple things about a Reeves Drive lathe. Mickey already addressed the main problem. The second problem is the relatively fast "slow" speed. That can cause problems if you're trying to rough an out of balance blank. Spindle turning is okay, since most times the blanks are balanced.

Getting the old iron would depend on if you like old iron, and can deal with the problems. And of course price.... If you want to turn bowls and out of balance blanks, I'd pass and check for an electronicaly variable speed lathe.

Paul Raymond
06-17-2012, 6:34 PM
thanks guys, i do like old tools and fixing something up sounds like fun. thats what i did with my jointer and i love it, however, i don't want to argue with a finicky system either. the machine looks good and solid in the pict's, and the guy is asking 375 for it. sounds like a good deal. we'll see...thanks,
pr