PDA

View Full Version : Crazy bird

John Coloccia
06-17-2012, 8:28 AM
Some crazy bird with a death wish keeps attacking my sliding glass door leading out onto the deck. I have several theories:

1) it's profoundly stupid and thinks the reflection in the glass is another bird
2) it sees the doggy num nums and wants to get some for itself
3) it wants to come inside where it's nice and cool
4) it's trying to commit "suicide by fed up home owner"

#4 is becoming a very, very real possibility.

Myk Rian
06-17-2012, 8:39 AM
It's attacking the bird it sees.
Put a cutout or picture of a hawk on the door.

mickey cassiba
06-17-2012, 10:38 AM
I agree with Myk, halfway. The bird is likely attacking it's own image. Hereabouts, though, when the song birds see a hawk, they mob it. The hawk picture could result in mass suicide attempts a la Hitchcock's 'The Birds'. Instead, I would try a moving ornament such as a windchime or 'wind spinner. My two cents, and worth every bit...

Steve Schlumpf
06-17-2012, 10:56 AM
Maybe it's filming a new Windex commercial? Good luck!

John Coloccia
06-17-2012, 11:05 AM
I agree with Myk, halfway. The bird is likely attacking it's own image. Hereabouts, though, when the song birds see a hawk, they mob it. The hawk picture could result in mass suicide attempts a la Hitchcock's 'The Birds'....

Ha ha ha....that would be awesome.

WTB: large picture of a hawk

Robert LaPlaca
06-17-2012, 11:47 AM
Some crazy bird with a death wish keeps attacking my sliding glass door leading out onto the deck. I have several theories:

1) it's profoundly stupid and thinks the reflection in the glass is another bird
2) it sees the doggy num nums and wants to get some for itself
3) it wants to come inside where it's nice and cool
4) it's trying to commit "suicide by fed up home owner"

#4 is becoming a very, very real possibility.

Hey how about that, now I know the whereabouts of the crazy bird that used to torment our front door..

Ernie Miller
06-17-2012, 3:09 PM
Your bird must have relatives here in Eastern North Carolina. They've been beating themselves senseless on my sliding glass door and bathroom window for three years now. The good news is they give up after two or three months and leave in search of friendlier glass - only to return again next year.

Kevin Bourque
06-17-2012, 4:36 PM
Open up the door....problem solved.

Jim Underwood
06-17-2012, 4:44 PM
We've had a robin attacking the bird in the car mirror for a couple of springs. They finally give up at some point...

Jim Matthews
06-17-2012, 7:10 PM
A wee problem to be solved by mechanical engineering...

String a trampoline across the window?

Myk Rian
06-17-2012, 7:56 PM
You'll see sparrows attacking a crow, but not a hawk. They know a hawk will get them.
My sister had a Robin banging her window for 3 days, until we put a hawk cutout on the window

Ken Fitzgerald
06-17-2012, 10:00 PM
The bird is attacking it's own reflection. I had an elderly aunt who fed hummingbirds. The males are territorial. She actually had some of the males destroy the outside side view mirrors on her car. She replaced the mirrors and made "gloves" to put over them. She would come home and cover the mirrors before going in the house.

Gary Harmond
06-18-2012, 9:37 AM
THe "gloves" don't always work. We had a Female cardinal attacking the car mirros and windows of all the vehicles in our driveway for about a month. We covered the mirros and she would just tear at the coverings and then start attacking again. My wife watched one day where the bird dive bombed the mirror so many times it fell stunned to the ground. Another time she watched a male cardinal try to stop the female.

ray hampton
06-18-2012, 8:53 PM
buy a snake toy and tie it to the windows or what ever

Steven Green
06-19-2012, 1:58 AM
When we lived up on Squam Lake one of the neighbors ducks smacked our window just after dark one evening. After the shock wore off and I figured we weren't recieving incoming I went out, found the foolish bird and walked/herded her over to the appropriate pond. I vote for stupid but that's just me

Curt Harms
06-19-2012, 8:12 AM
Ha ha ha....that would be awesome.

WTB: large picture of a hawk

Let me check with SWMBO. She bought a couple stick-on sorta transparent images that look sorta like a frosted-glass hawk from the outside but are translucent from the inside. We used to have birds - doves mostly - hit the door and one or two would manage to break their necks every year. She put up two of these things and haven't had one bird hit the glass since.

Edit: That didn't take long. The web site is windowalert.com. They seem to have gotten 'kinder and gentler' though. Snowflakes, butterflies and hummingbirds instead of hawks.