PDA

View Full Version : Big shallow walnut bowl

Kathy Marshall
06-17-2012, 2:56 AM
Another beautiful chunk of wood from John Kent. This one started out at 12" x 3", well maybe just a hair over 12". I had to get the chisel out and shave down a few high spots so it would clear the ways. The blank was very round, I only needed to turn off a tiny bit to get it true as you can see here.
Here it is with the outside finish turned and mounted in the chuck for hollowing. I think there might be almost 1/8" of clearance from the ways :eek:.

I thought about turning an ogee shape on this one, but when I was roughing it out I saw a big, shallow bowl so that's what I went with. I'm calling it 11 3/4" by about 2 1/2" (I didn't measure) and it has a coat of antique oil. Thanks for another great piece of wood John!

Thanks for looking!
As always comments and critiques are welcome.

John Keeton
06-17-2012, 5:10 AM
Another nice bowl, Kathy! So, how do you like turning walnut? Probably not as nice as mesquite, but it is one of my favorites - particularly Claro.

John Kent
06-17-2012, 7:40 AM
I like the way you take a average blank and turn it into something special!
I do love that walnut. Kathy, another great job, which lately seems to be more and more the norm for you.

Allan Ferguson
06-17-2012, 9:46 AM
That is a very pretty piece of walnut turned into a fine bowl.

Bernie Weishapl
06-17-2012, 9:47 AM
Really nice bowl Kathy. Walnut looks good. Gotta love turning walnut.

Steve Schlumpf
06-17-2012, 10:17 AM
Very pretty bowl! I like the open form and the slightly slanted rim! You do nice work!

Bob Bergstrom
06-17-2012, 2:30 PM
Looks like it could hold a lot of yummy stuff, but it may be too nice to cover it up. Great job turning. I always enjoy seeing your pieces.

Mike Golka
06-17-2012, 3:59 PM
Another niece piece Kathy, very well done.

Kathy Marshall
06-17-2012, 5:26 PM
Thanks guys!

Another nice bowl, Kathy! So, how do you like turning walnut? Probably not as nice as mesquite, but it is one of my favorites - particularly Claro.
John, this blank was green so it turned pretty nice and walnut can have such nice color to it.

I like the way you take a average blank and turn it into something special!
I do love that walnut. Kathy, another great job, which lately seems to be more and more the norm for you.
John, I wouldn't call this an average blank. I knew as soon as I turned the wax off that this one would have some beautiful color to it. The pics may not show it well, but it's got streaks of green and purple mixed in with the brown. It may all age to varying shades of brown, but it will still be a beautiful piece of wood!

Looks like it could hold a lot of yummy stuff, but it may be too nice to cover it up. Great job turning. I always enjoy seeing your pieces.
Bob, it would sure hold a lot of M&M's!

Gary Herrmann
06-17-2012, 5:47 PM
Very nice placement of the grain. I really like it when you get that X pattern of the grain.

paul vechart
06-17-2012, 7:31 PM
Very nice bowl Kathy...was it green wood and turned in one session.

Eric Holmquist
06-17-2012, 7:47 PM
Great job on the bowl and exploring the limits of your lathe! I always seem to end up much smaller when I start at the limits of my lathe, I do better when I start well within its limits.

Prashun Patel
06-17-2012, 8:36 PM
Beautiful. The walnut I've turned sadly loses that green and purple variation within weeks. Good luck keeping that form flat. All my green turned shallow bowls end up cupping around the pith..

Thomas Canfield
06-17-2012, 9:35 PM
That is a nice job using all your capacity. I could not see the mount and was curious what you used to mount the rough blank, remount, and then finishing the bottom. I am presently working on my demo for SWAT in August on "Bowl Turning for Beginners" and looking at alternate methods that others are using to mention, especially when you are fully utilizing your lathe swing.

Greg Ketell
06-17-2012, 10:45 PM
That is a beautiful piece of wood and I think you chose the perfect form to let it stand out. Another great turning, Kathy!

Baxter Smith
06-17-2012, 11:16 PM
Beautiful wood is often at its best without distracting details. I would say this one fits the bill perfectly. Very pretty Kathy.

Kathy Marshall
06-17-2012, 11:32 PM
Thanks for the additional comments guys!

Very nice bowl Kathy...was it green wood and turned in one session.
Paul, yes it was turned green to finish.

That is a nice job using all your capacity. I could not see the mount and was curious what you used to mount the rough blank, remount, and then finishing the bottom. I am presently working on my demo for SWAT in August on "Bowl Turning for Beginners" and looking at alternate methods that others are using to mention, especially when you are fully utilizing your lathe swing.
Thomas, I almost always start between centers. I turn a tenon and then turn the outside to finish, then I reverse it using a chuck (usually using 50mm jaws) and turn the inside to finish. I then use a jam chuck with some double sided tape with support from the tailstock to turn off the tenon and finish the bottom. The double sided tape gives enough hold so I can turn the bottom to just a tiny nub, then sand the bottom, then with very light cuts at a slower speed, I can turn off the nub and complete the sanding. The double sided tape will usually leave some adhesive behind, but a little acetone on a paper towel will take it right off.

Thomas Canfield
06-18-2012, 9:22 PM
Thomas, I almost always start between centers. I turn a tenon and then turn the outside to finish, then I reverse it using a chuck (usually using 50mm jaws) and turn the inside to finish. I then use a jam chuck with some double sided tape with support from the tailstock to turn off the tenon and finish the bottom. The double sided tape gives enough hold so I can turn the bottom to just a tiny nub, then sand the bottom, then with very light cuts at a slower speed, I can turn off the nub and complete the sanding. The double sided tape will usually leave some adhesive behind, but a little acetone on a paper towel will take it right off.[/QUOTE]

Thanks Kathy. The use of double stick tape is a new trick for me. I just use some cheap rubber shelf liner with the jam chuck to turn tenon down to a small spindle and cut it with flush cut saw and hand sand the remaining nub. You must get a pretty good fit between the jam and bottom to have contact area for the tape since there is little give to the tape. The tape does give the ability to hold bowl to turn off the nub. Nice new technique to try.