PDA

View Full Version : Today was a good day . . .

Jessica Pierce-LaRose
06-16-2012, 8:14 PM
Today, I shot a lot of edges, did a few more dados, and a lot of little rabbets. This is the result so far:

I got a piece of 1/2" sapele plywood very cheap from the lumberyard, and had them square it up there. I was more than thrilled to find that my planning payed off and the back dropped right in with just the slightest of trimming needed on one corner of the cabinet to make it lay perfectly flush.

The upper left pocket is sized to fit my main saws and my bench planes. The next pocket down on the left will get some thin dividers before everything is glued up and be little cubbies for my fillester plane and such. The bottom two pockets will have three side hung drawers each.

The upper right pocket seemed a little more useful when the cabinet was in it's planning stage, now I'm realizing at 11 or so inches deep, it's a little awkward being as narrow as it is. Part of me is tempted to fill at least part of it with drawers, but for now it will have things hung inside on the available surfaces.

Now I need to start making some doors. I've also been debating a second, interior door over one of the two upper pockets, but I'll see how things fit for a while.

This thing is heavier than I really realized it might be - I'm realizing now I should have gone with the pine not the poplar. Perhaps wall hung is not the best answer.

I liked the way I managed to make the sort of off-center laminate from the cheap plywood offcut kind of work, and the way the poplar sort of wraps around the interior of the case. Not perfectly, but it looks decent with the lumber I had available, and the fact that there's no way I could resaw a 12" board!

All in all, this is really just supposed to be a utilitarian project, and a learning experience for new types of joinery and larger casework. Really my first project of this type. I've learned a lot, and probably let a few things slide I wouldn't in a "real" project. Some of what look like gaps are pencil lines. Some of them are actual gaps. Nothing to write home about, but a little disappointing, too.

Peter Pedisich
06-16-2012, 8:31 PM
Very nice so far! Great workspace as well, wish I had your organizational skills.