PDA

View Full Version : Completed Pie Safe

Michael Pfau
04-04-2005, 7:05 PM
I finally completed my wifes Pie Safe! The plan came from Norm Abram. Made out of quartersawn white oak, maple drawer sides, and dovetailed. I used dyes, and shellac, with wipe on poly as the finish coat, then a few coats of furniture wax. Our house is all southwest decor, so the southwest tins were added. Now I have to share with all of you what went into this piece. I started it in early November. I was cutting slots with the biscut jointer on day, and not having my piece clamped down like an idiot, the piece spun out, and caught my middle and index finger. Took the tips off of both! I lost a quarter inch of middle finger, and just the side of the other. My wife knows how much work, (and blood) went into this piece. I am very happy how it came out. I will start a dining room table and 4 chairs to match next month. Thanks for looking!

Bruce Foley
04-04-2005, 7:11 PM
Michael-
I love it. It looks like great craftsmanship in spite of the price in blood. Did you also punch the metal? Where did you get your QS Oak (locally??) Nice to see someone else from the Big Sky. Good work.

Bruce Foley

Steve Ash
04-04-2005, 7:14 PM
SAWeeet! Very nice job.:cool:

Michael Pfau
04-04-2005, 7:17 PM
I got the tins from Country Accent on PA. And yes Intermountain Hardwoods here in Missoula, I believe they have a dealer in Bozeman.

Bruce Foley
04-04-2005, 7:30 PM
Thanks. Yes they have one in Bozeman. I'll check out Country Accent, although my rebuild is waaaaay faaaaar down the hunnydo list! Thanks again. I also sent you a PM.

Bruce Foley

Martin Shupe
04-04-2005, 7:30 PM
Very nicely done, Michael. A pie safe is on my long list of projects.

Sure wish I could live in Missoula!

Steve Beadle
04-04-2005, 7:40 PM
Glad to see the finished project! It's a much larger design than the ones I have been making, but one that I would like to build also. Good job! Were the tins already punched, or did you punch them yourself from a Country Accents design? I'm not sure if I recall seeing a Southwest-type design with some of those big sagauro (sp?) cactus incorporated. That might have fit your motif as well, I think.
I look forward to seeing the table and chairs!
Another Montana boy

Richard Wolf
04-04-2005, 8:05 PM
Nice job on the pie safe. Sorry to hear about the fingers.

Richard

Jim Becker
04-04-2005, 8:07 PM
Very nice, Michael!! It's really kewel how just changing the design in the tin can make the piece fit in even better as a design element in an existing space. Wonderful.

And I guess you'll always know just "how much of yourself" you put into this project... ;) ('hope you healed well)

Corey Hallagan
04-04-2005, 8:16 PM
Really nice work!

Corey

Bob Atchison
04-04-2005, 8:23 PM
Very nice!

Lou Morrissette
04-04-2005, 8:35 PM
Michael,

Very nice work. I've always liked the look of punched tin on oak. Very country looking. Sorry about the paw.

Lou

Tony Falotico
04-04-2005, 8:35 PM
Very nice work Michael

Jerry Olexa
04-04-2005, 8:39 PM
Nice job. Hope you've healed OK..

Alan Turner
04-04-2005, 8:42 PM
Nice work. My friend says that everyone should give a finger to the trade, but with this thought I do not agree.

Ray Bersch
04-04-2005, 8:53 PM
Bravo!! Hoot, hoot, BRAVO!!

Keith Christopher
04-05-2005, 12:24 AM
BEAUTY ! I LOVE IT ! I have been wanting to build one of these myself. But I never seem able to build my own furniture....hrm. cobblers son and all. Wonderful work a pleasure to look at.

Mark Singer
04-05-2005, 12:28 AM
You better add locks...I just love pie, and you know what else....great work....thats what I like ...Beautiful!

Ken Fitzgerald
04-05-2005, 12:45 AM
Excellent work Michael!

Dan Forman
04-05-2005, 1:04 AM
Michael---Having never heard of a pie safe, I had a hard time envisioning what one might look like. Well, now I know, though I never would have imagined anything like this. You do such beautiful work, and it fits right in with the rest of the decor.

Dan

Pete Harbin
04-05-2005, 1:11 AM
Really nice Michael! Your decor looks like it belongs down here in New Mexico.

Sorry to hear about your fingers. You definately "gave of yourself" for this piece.

Pete

Arnie Grammon
04-05-2005, 7:26 AM
Very nice........my wife loves the SW style.

Tell your LOYL I'll take a slice of apple pie to go!

Watch those biscuit joiners......my brother-in-law bought one and ran out to the shop and promptly put an extra groove in his hand because of not clamping.

He lost some use to the hand, and more importantly, lost interest in woodworking :( .

Arnie

Greg Narozniak
04-05-2005, 11:57 AM
Very Nice!!! One of those has been on my "To Do Project" list for quite some time.

Jeff Sudmeier
04-05-2005, 12:59 PM
Very nice that looks great! You have done a great job, hopefully the finished product is worth the blood, sweat and tears :)

David Fried
04-05-2005, 1:11 PM
I like it!

Usually Pie Safes don't do much for me. All the ones I have seen, up to now, were done in Pine with little cutesy touches to make it more country-ish. I really like the way it looks with the color of the Oak and the clean lines.

Great job.

Doug Cowan
04-05-2005, 4:40 PM
Looks great, nicely done! Sorry to hear about your digits. When I was just starting out I had a biscuit jointer do the same thing. I was lucky and didn't have any permanent damage, just scared the &^%$ out of me. It was a lesson I've never forgotten. Hopefully by posting your experience here you have saved somebody else from learning that lesson the hard way.

p.s. As a native of Billings, and a graduate of Moo U, it is nice to see some postings from the Big Sky Country. I miss everything about Montana except for Bozeman winters.

Todd Burch
04-05-2005, 9:13 PM
OUCH!!

The pie safe looks great. That's a timeless style. You did a good job.

OK, now do this. Pull the case away from the wall, get a sharpie, and trace your hand on the back, and date it.

Michael Pfau
04-05-2005, 11:20 PM
Good Idea!

John Renzetti
04-06-2005, 5:42 AM
Hi Mike, Great work. Sorry to hear about the accident. Hope you've healed up well.
take care,
John

Kelly C. Hanna
04-06-2005, 8:26 AM
Looks great!! I like old pie safes.

Bart Leetch
04-06-2005, 8:37 AM
Great lookin pie safe. :)

The big question where is the pie. Now I gotta tell ya I like pie safes but I like pie even better. :eek: :D

I'm very sorry to hear about your fingers I know how it feels I had a close brush with a saw blade a couple of years ago just took enough off to leave scar tissue & not change the shape of the finger scared the bejeebers out of me.

Dave Tinley
04-06-2005, 6:37 PM
Good looking work !!!
How did you attach the dust frames to the sides? Was that with the biscuits?
Also, what finish did you use?
Thanks for sharing the pics.
Dave