PDA

View Full Version : Lie-Lielsen Customer service

Eric John
06-16-2012, 5:20 PM
Just had to write about this, maybe not a big deal to some but to me it is.

I do not usually lend out tools, however I let go of my shoulder plane for a little while. You guessed it, I got it back broken, the mouth adjusting screw snapped off. Guess he didnt realize to loosen top screw first and THEN adjust the mouth, second hint should have been, " gee should it be this hard to ... uh-oh".
Well I took it on the chin, and told him forget it Ill take care of it.
I called Lie nielsen on Monday to tell them i needed to order a new adjustment screw, I could not find parts on their website, and asked the lady if she would just charge my card for the part and shipping. She didnt miss a beat nad just told me she would get it out that day "NO CHARGE"! are you kiddin? I've had the plane for ,I think 6-7 yrs (which probably mean 8-10). She told me it didnt matter. I thanked her very much for her generosity.
Unfortunately, I was too shocked to remember her name, so I could tell the owner how wonderfully I was treated !

I've rarely if evre experienced that kind of Customer service, they didnt break the screw, and it didnt break from any fault of mfg., it was the bonehead I lent it too, and my fault for loaning it in the first place.
I dont get to spend money often on tools, but when i can get something from Lie nielsen , Ill never again think twice.

Regards
Eric

Bill Houghton
06-16-2012, 5:36 PM
Nice to hear.

I've noticed that a few of the old-line manufacturers have figured out that, to stay competitive, they need to be responsive that way too. I picked up a Jorgensen deep reach pipe clamp* at a yard sale. It came with the "foot" (the end without the screw) bent out of shape, but I figured that, for $1, I could find some use for the screw-fitted jaw. Lo and behold, when I contacted Adjustable Clamp, they sent me a replacement foot, no charge. And Irwin, whose tools I would not otherwise buy, has sent me replacement pads for quick-grip clamps (the plastic-jawed trigger-adjust things; marginally useful as gluing clamps**, very useful to hold stuff still), no charge. In neither case did they ask for proof that I'm the original owner, which is a good thing, since I'm not. In fact, with Adjustable Clamp - whom I wound up contacting by phone - I was straightforward that I'd acquired it used.

Still, places like Lee Valley and Lie-Nielsen are hard to beat for customer service.

*http://www.adjustableclamp.com/clampfixturefor34blackpipe.aspx
**Although they're dynamite, with the old, soft-face pads on the jaws, for gluing up bench plane totes: the soft pads and the flex in the jaws combine for straight-line force through the s-shaped tote.

Tony Shea
06-16-2012, 5:45 PM
I've had similar dealings with them.

I bought a used LN #5 jack plane for a very good price as it had been to hard use as a wooden boat builder. I almost didn't buy it because of the condition it was in but paid very little for it so I didn't really sweat it. Once I got it home I found the sole to be very out of flat, the toe and heel were worn a lot compared to the mouth area. I brought it to their shop in Warren and asked if they would regrind the sole and tune it up a bit, all the while expecting to pay for the service. The guy was very surprised at how out of flat it was. He said he'd take it in to the shop right away and he would ship it out to me asap. I told him that he will need my credit card info. And he said don't worry about it, this is the service we provide and it will not cost you anything. Shipping will also be on us. Are you kidding me? This plane is in this condition not because of them but because of the lack of care by the original owner.

I got the plane delivered in just over a week and the thing looked brand new. All new parts, a freshly ground sole, and a brand new blade/breaker. I was shocked at how nice this thing was, all for a $50 bill.

Kenneth Speed
06-16-2012, 6:03 PM
Me three or whatever. I had a LN plane tote that I couldn't tighten unless I changed the long threaded rod. I called them asking if they had a shorter rod and they sent me a new tote free. I have about ten LN tools due, in part, to the way they stand behind their products.

Ken

Joel Goodman
06-16-2012, 8:16 PM
If only other companies would realize that this level of customer service is good business. For the price of an adjustment screw they've got a loyal customer for life. PS I'm one too as they have treated me right!

Joe Bailey
06-16-2012, 9:39 PM
Very likely it was Jessica - whom I consider to be one of that organization's greatest assets.

ray hampton
06-16-2012, 9:44 PM
If this were me, I would be sure to sent them a greeting card at CHRISTMAS

Brian Cameron
06-16-2012, 10:55 PM
Joe:
I just had the best customer service I have had in many a year from LN...Kirsten Lie-Nielsen...the service values start at the top

Jim Neeley
06-17-2012, 4:37 AM
Kirsten is awesome, indeed!!

Rick Fisher
06-17-2012, 4:56 AM
I love these threads ..

Companies like Lie Nielsen and Lee Valley deserve to be praised when they do this stuff, they are an example to other retailers..

Shawn Stennett
06-17-2012, 12:44 PM
It goes a long way to prove the point when people start mentioning names. People are what makes great customer service possible and a company that gives them the freedom and responsibility to take care of the customer. Another fan here and one for Kirsten.

Mike Henderson
06-17-2012, 12:54 PM
I don't remember any names, but every time I've contacted LN, they've been wonderful to deal with.

Mike

Dale Cruea
06-17-2012, 2:18 PM
I have never contacted LN. Maybe I should. I have a fairly new #5 that I can not keep the iron sharp.
It sharpens up very nicely but the edge chips after a few strokes.
Nice thread. Good to know there are these kinds of companies out there selling us tools.

David Weaver
06-17-2012, 2:38 PM
Dale, if the final angle is more than 31 or 32 degrees, you might have a bum. They will do you right about the iron, all you have to do is call them and let them know you'd like to exchange it.

I'm not even going to say some of the things they've done for me when I was looking to pay them for things to used planes I've bought. They are top shelf for sure.

Maurice Ungaro
06-17-2012, 2:55 PM
CAn't attest to LN CS, but LV is also top notch! Another firm I've used with regularity is Dillon Precision, out in Arizona. When they mean lifetime warranty, they are not kidding either!

Joel Goodman
06-17-2012, 3:51 PM
+1 on Dillon, even though it's not woodworking!

Maurice Ungaro
06-17-2012, 5:15 PM
Yeah, Joel....I forgot to mention they're not woodworking :)...but still a damn fine company!