PDA

View Full Version : New Handle

Glenn Hodges
04-04-2005, 6:19 PM
I like heavy handles for my gouges, so I drilled a hole in the other end of this piece of persimmon and pored in melted lead from tire weights. This is a P&N gouge that fits a 12mm hole I drilled and glued with epoxy. I sure like the way it feels.

Steve Inniss
04-04-2005, 8:54 PM
Glenn,
I bet it feels great. Do you have a lead pot(or whatever) for melting lead for jigs etc., or did you use a propane torch? -Thanks Steve

Glenn Hodges
04-04-2005, 9:11 PM
Steve, I used a fish cooker for heat, and a small cast iron pot that was designed to melt lead. I also have a cast iron dipper for poring melted lead....I make my own lead weights for fishing. I think you could use an old cast iron frying pan. Yes, it feels good when you hold it for turning. If you like the heavier weight handles you might want to try it.

Don Henthorn Smithville, TX
04-04-2005, 9:56 PM
That is a neat idea. I have just discovered - after more than half a century - that heavier tool provide smoother turning. I may try that for several of my tools.

Ernie Nyvall
04-04-2005, 10:09 PM
That is a good idea and I just happen to have an old smelting pot. I think I'd like a heavier handle.

Ernie

John Hart
04-04-2005, 10:46 PM
Nice tip Glenn. You just sold me too!