PDA

View Full Version : Utilizing my bandsaw?

Greg Urwiller
06-16-2012, 11:51 AM
I picked up a Grizzly G1073 16" BS last year. Bad thing is, I don't really use it! But, I read a thread on another site about tuning one up so I went at it this morning. I'd gone over it when I got it, but the few times I'd used it before, it burned more than it cut. Same after working on it today. I don't know what kind of blade it's got on it but I think it's time for a new one. I've also got a Ridgid and and I figured to keep a 1/4" blade on it for smaller pieces and curves. At this time I don't figure on doing much, if any, resawing. That may change of course if I get it cutting good. But right now I thought I'd stick with a 1/2" blade on this one. Does this seem like a reasonable use of the two bandsaws? Don't know what kind of blade yet to get, but thought this would utilize both bandsaws until I figure out how much usage each one will get. Thanks. Greg

Myk Rian
06-16-2012, 12:02 PM
Did you buy it new?
Stock blades aren't know to be worth a hoot. You could put a 3/4" on it for re-sawing.

Matt Mackinnon
06-16-2012, 12:05 PM
I have two bandsaws. I think it's one of the better investments that I have made. Mine are both made by King (as I live up in Canada) but pretty much the same as the Grizzly GO513 line. I think of it like owning multiple routers, or drills. You can change the bit's but it's just much more handy to have it setup and ready to go without fussing when you need it.

I have one of the Laguna Resaw King blades setup on the one bandsaw. Even though it doesn't get a whole load of use, it cuts perfectly now that it is setup. The other I use for everything else. (pen blanks, bandsaw boxes, etc..)

As for you saw burning. Check the blade. make sure that you didn't put it in upside down. I would not trust any blade that shipped with a bandsaw. I have yet to find one that isn't just junk. Back off all the roller bearings and make sure that you adjust the blade tension. I got rid off the side roller bearings and replaced mine with phenolic blocks. I found that the rollers made a worse cut, were too loud, and a pain to adjust correctly to support the blade without taking out the teeth at the front of the blade.

don't try and cut arcs with a new blade at first. It is likely a fast way to ruin a good blade if you have not setup the machine right.

Greg Urwiller
06-16-2012, 12:14 PM
No, I bought it used. An old duffer had it, he and a friend were going to rebuilt an old wagon so he bought the BS to use. Didn't look like it had hardly been used. Anyway, it had the 1/2" blade on it and had a 3/4" blade with it, still in the wrap. Don't have any idea what brand.

Upside down? C'mon, I'm not that dumb! Uh, be right back, I think I left some lights on that don't need to be!! Thanks. Greg

Myk Rian
06-16-2012, 12:17 PM
Upside down? C'mon, I'm not that dumb! Uh, be right back, I think I left some lights on that don't need to be!! Thanks. Greg
LOL. Yep. Check that.

Greg Urwiller
06-16-2012, 1:43 PM
Whew, I guess I shut them off after all! No use in wasting electricity I always say. Greg

Van Huskey
06-16-2012, 3:22 PM
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?149862-Lets-talk-bandsaw-blades!&highlight=lets+talk+bandsaw

The above is some of my ramblings on BS blades.

I am a big fan of multiple bandsaws but to decide what blades are best to be the ones you normally keep on two saws you have to determine what makes up the bulk of the cuts you will be making. So what kind of work do you plan on doing with your bandsaws?

Randall Clark
06-16-2012, 3:48 PM
The only time my bandsaw burned the wood inexplicably was when I had my blade on upside down. I was embarrassed, but I was more happy that I figured it out--wouldn't have to buy a new tool . . . wait . . . what?

Greg Urwiller
06-16-2012, 6:25 PM
That's the thing, I haven't really used either one much yet. I had gotten the Ridgid from my son, who wasn't using it, and had just cleaned and tuned it up. Then the Griz came up for sale, lightly used at a great price, so I bought it figuring I could put it to use. A year ago I added on to the garage for a workshop and have been working on it mainly. Just got my cabinets/bench top done and....oh my God! I might have to actually build something now!! Scarey! Anyway, I knew the BS wasn't up to snuff, so I decided to retune it after reading the other thread I mentioned. No go, so I'm going to have to try something else which I'll do by starting with a new blade. Figured a 1/2" would be a good way to start. So, I really don't have any definite plans yet on how I'll use the BS. I've got a couple old projects to finish which won't need the BS. It sucks to have ADD, but, that just means I always seem to have a project to work on! LOL! Oh, and no, the blade was on right. Maybe it will cut better if I turn it upside down. Greg

Van Huskey
06-16-2012, 10:26 PM
Hmmm. If you don't plan resawing (resizing or veneer) or ripping I might consider a 3/8" blade on the Grizzly and a 1/8" blade with a Carter Stabilizer on the Rigid. I usually think of a two BS setup as one with a 1/4" blade and one with a resaw blade but without the resaw needs I would suggest the above which is what I use on my smaller two saws of my 3 saw setup. For more specifics on which blades my above link should help cover that but would suggest a bi-metal blade for the 3/8" for long wear and better long term economy.

I would mention that if you haven't done much resawing in the past that you get a Woodslicer type resaw blade (cheap and I list a couple of cheaper places, with different blade names, for the same bladestock in the link above) and play around with some resawing of veneer, it often opens up a new world of possibilities to people who haven't tried it. Be aware the Woodslicer et al are NOT for cutting contours (curves) thay have little if any set and will not cut curves well.

I think your issues will stop once you have a new QUALITY blade with the correct specs for the types of cuts you are making on the saw.