PDA

View Full Version : A little Rainbow Poplar form

Kathy Marshall
06-16-2012, 1:34 AM
This is another little quickie from John Kent's goodie box.

It's Rainbow Poplar, about 4" x 5" with just a heavy coat of Antique oil so far (it was sucking it up like a sponge).
I wanted to try something a little different (for me) for the form. I'm pretty happy with it, but the pics don't show it to best advantage, I should have gotten some straight on profile shots.
I think the flared rim could have been a little bit smaller and possibly the neck just a bit shorter. In hindsight, I could have made the opening just a tad smaller, but I wanted to be sure I had enough room to get the cutter through the neck and still be able to angle it around to turn the inside shoulder.
In any case, the wood is pretty cool with different colors depending running through it (doesn't show up well in the pics).

Thanks for looking!
As always comments and critiques are welcome.

charlie knighton
06-16-2012, 2:31 AM
very nice Kathy, keep experimenting with your forms, funny how one starts one place and ends up somewhere else

Norm Zax
06-16-2012, 6:27 AM
Another great Swirler.

John Keeton
06-16-2012, 6:32 AM
Kathy, I am not sure I would change anything with this one. The form works very well, and the poplar adds some nice color to it. Poplar is pretty common here, and notorious for moving badly while drying - particularly flat lumber. Was this piece dry?

Roger Chandler
06-16-2012, 6:33 AM
very nice form, Kathy. This is a classic shape and not the easiest to do. The hits keep on coming with you!

Bill Hensley
06-16-2012, 6:42 AM
Kathy don't fret over this one, it's very nice as is. I like the shape and if it were mine I suspect I couldn't resist doing some transparent coloring to it.

Tim Rinehart
06-16-2012, 8:22 AM
very nice form, Kathy. This is a classic shape and not the easiest to do. The hits keep on coming with you!
+1 on what Roger said!

Jim Adkins
06-16-2012, 8:26 AM
Nice one Kathy, would not change much, if anything about this one. Very nice form and the finish will add to it in time.

Allan Ferguson
06-16-2012, 8:57 AM
Good form and the subtle colors are a nice plus.

Alan Trout
06-16-2012, 8:58 AM
Kathy,

That is a sweet form!

Alan

Bernie Weishapl
06-16-2012, 10:05 AM
Kathy I like this form. Classic and the wood is very nice.

Steve Schlumpf
06-16-2012, 5:42 PM
Wow - very nice form and the only thing I can think of to describe the color/grain is 'soft'! Very cool little vase! Looking forward to seeing what you turn next!!

Faust M. Ruggiero
06-16-2012, 7:14 PM
Kathy,
I like this one a lot. The shape is classic and I love your poplar. Poplar in eastern PA is yellowish white with green heartwood. It had no grain of any particular interest and is almost always used as a sub wood or painted trims. Your poplar sweet.
faust

Eric Holmquist
06-16-2012, 8:12 PM
I rather like the rim / neck along with the rest of it. I would not change anything, it all works well with this piece.

Baxter Smith
06-16-2012, 10:28 PM
Nice piece Kathy! Its fun to watch some poplar logs get sawn!
I used poplar for the subfloor in my house, kitchen cabinets, and wainscoating in my basement. All the great colors didn't last. Probably a good thing!:)

Scott Hackler
06-16-2012, 11:49 PM
A very nice and warm piece. I wouldn't change a thing either.

Jeremy Leasure
06-17-2012, 11:59 AM
I like this form quite a bit, and poplar is something I haven't worked with yet in turning. Or flatwork for that matter.

Kathy Marshall
06-17-2012, 5:14 PM
Thanks guys!

Kathy don't fret over this one, it's very nice as is. I like the shape and if it were mine I suspect I couldn't resist doing some transparent coloring to it.
Bill, I thought about using just a hint of dye, but thought the existing colors in the wood might just get muddied up so I left it as is.

Kathy, I am not sure I would change anything with this one. The form works very well, and the poplar adds some nice color to it. Poplar is pretty common here, and notorious for moving badly while drying - particularly flat lumber. Was this piece dry?
John, this piece was green. I kept spraying it down with a soap and water mixture to help keep the outside from drying too fast (the humidity has been running about 7-8%, so combine that with the heat and a little breeze and the moisture gets sucked out pretty darned fast.). The soap mixture works better than just plain water, I'm thinking the soap must form a slight film on the surface. I have the piece wrapped on the outside with the opening exposed to allow the inside to dry out. I did end up with a small crack in the neck area, but since being wrapped, it has closed up and all but disappeared. No movement yet, but it's early days.