PDA

View Full Version : Motor shut down ..

Rick Fisher
06-15-2012, 10:29 PM
Hello..

I have a Felder RL-160 Dust collector.. I think its made by Holtzkraft .. It has a 4hp single phase motor and a Klinger and Born motor starter.

Its been a real workhorse, but in the last few weeks, its shut itself down on several occasions.

In all cases, its run for between 1/2 an hour to and hour, and then just shut off .. Its loud enough that I have always heard it shut off ..

I am puzzled.. Common sense tells me that it must going over current, and the contactor is killing the power. The machine is about 4 years old, I bought it new .. its always been hobby use.. So I cant see it being worn bearings or similar.. Seems very odd..

What else would cause it ?

Also, I started it up when I got home from work and let it run for 3-4 minutes, then I removed the motor cover.. The motor was warm.. Not hot .. just much warmer than the surrounding metal.. I mention this because my bandsaw for instance will run for 1/2 an hour and the motor doesn't seem to change temperature at all ??

The Fan on the DC is huge.. The normal model uses a 5.5hp PH3 motor .. To start it, you have to hold the power button for 3-4 seconds.. it winds up like a jet engine starting. While odd, its normal, its always been that way ..

The motor looks like a CEG or similar Euro motor ..

( This machine draws 19 amps x 220V PH1 and is wired to a 30 amp 220V .. Same receptacle since new.. Its never snapped the breaker. )

Clint Baxter
06-16-2012, 7:47 AM
Hello..

I have a Felder RL-160 Dust collector.. I think its made by Holtzkraft .. It has a 4hp single phase motor and a Klinger and Born motor starter.

Its been a real workhorse, but in the last few weeks, its shut itself down on several occasions.

In all cases, its run for between 1/2 an hour to and hour, and then just shut off .. Its loud enough that I have always heard it shut off ..

I am puzzled.. Common sense tells me that it must going over current, and the contactor is killing the power. The machine is about 4 years old, I bought it new .. its always been hobby use.. So I cant see it being worn bearings or similar.. Seems very odd..

What else would cause it ?

Also, I started it up when I got home from work and let it run for 3-4 minutes, then I removed the motor cover.. The motor was warm.. Not hot .. just much warmer than the surrounding metal.. I mention this because my bandsaw for instance will run for 1/2 an hour and the motor doesn't seem to change temperature at all ??

The Fan on the DC is huge.. The normal model uses a 5.5hp PH3 motor .. To start it, you have to hold the power button for 3-4 seconds.. it winds up like a jet engine starting. While odd, its normal, its always been that way ..

The motor looks like a CEG or similar Euro motor ..

( This machine draws 19 amps x 220V PH1 and is wired to a 30 amp 220V .. Same receptacle since new.. Its never snapped the breaker. )

The motor temp is most likely not n issue. Remember that your DC is running full load, ( with gate(s) open), while your bandsaw would need to be doing a heavy resaw to be under a similar motor load.

Do you have overloads in your motor starter? They can sometimes get weak and cause unnecessary shutdowns. Or, if they are working correctly, are protecting the motor as they should. Would be a wise idea to find out what amperage the DC is pulling. Also, keep in mind that you can have an overdraw if the DC is allowed to draw too much air. If that is the case you could close off some openings and see if that affects your run time.

If running amperage is not high, suspect the motor starter overloads, (assuming you have any).

Clint

Myk Rian
06-16-2012, 8:40 AM
A 4hp DC isn't exactly what I would call, "Hobby Equipment".
Something like that is meant to run continuously. Do you run it, then shut it down, run it, shut it down?
Could be weakened motor overloads.

Thomas Hotchkin
06-16-2012, 1:30 PM
.. To start it, you have to hold the power button for 3-4 seconds.. it winds up like a jet engine starting. While odd, its normal, its always been that way ..
... )

For me that is a red warning. Is your motor running on the start windings? I think I would look at starting switch and/or the start capacitor and if all is ok, replace run capacitor. Tom

Rick Fisher
06-16-2012, 3:19 PM
Hey .. Thanks for responding ..

I took the cover off the starter.. I will post a picture of the innards.. It appears there is stuff going on inside that machine I was not aware of .. lol

http://i335.photobucket.com/albums/m455/jokerbird_photo/P1020252.jpg
http://i335.photobucket.com/albums/m455/jokerbird_photo/P1020253.jpg
http://i335.photobucket.com/albums/m455/jokerbird_photo/P1020251.jpg

I should say this.. Friday night.. I email the local Felder Rep Chris.. Not because I wanted an answer now, just figured I would email and hear back on Monday ..
He responded about 8:00 PM last night.. told me he really didn't know but already forwarded it to the fella who knows and would get back to me, but probably not till Monday ..

Felder in our area is outstanding for customer service... Make's ya feel guilty for emailing them on a Friday.. lol

I generally turn it on and off no more than 3 times in any day .. Its loud, but makes a pleasing loud sound.. Not like a router or a Circ saw.. more like a droning, heavy sound.. So I wear Peltor's all the time and just let it run ..

When I took the cover off the Starter.. It has wires running all over the place.. There is a sensor on the machine that checks pressure... Not really sure what it does with that Information.. There are little wires running into the machine, plus the obvious big one that would go to the motor ..

I will start by testing the amperage.. I have a meter with the " Claws " .. but never really understood how it works.. long story ...

Scott T Smith
06-17-2012, 10:09 AM
For me that is a red warning. Is your motor running on the start windings? I think I would look at starting switch and/or the start capacitor and if all is ok, replace run capacitor. Tom

Rick, I just went through a similar troubleshooting exercise with a motor for an air compressor. Turns out that the problem was that the run capacitor had died, and the motor was running slightly hot. A new run capacitor fixed the problem.

Rod Sheridan
06-17-2012, 4:25 PM

Hi Thomas. the Felder does not have a centrifugal switch in the motor, you start it by holding the start which latches the run contactor in the on position, it also closes the start contactor which is non latching. You hold the start button until the motor is up to speed, then release it dropping out the start contactor.

A few seconds is normal for this process...............Regards, Rod.

Thomas Hotchkin
06-17-2012, 5:55 PM
Rod
Not to hijack post, thanks for the up date. My MM16 with European motor comes right to speed, with just a quick push of ON button. Always great to learn something new. Thanks Tom