PDA

View Full Version : E-mail / Computer problem.

Dave Lehnert
06-15-2012, 3:59 PM
I am having issues with my e-mail. Through my ISP e-mail and Yahoo E-Mail.

I have something that has gotten into my address book in Yahoo and I think my ISP account and sending out spam. I know this because I am receiving a whole bunch of rejected e-mails I did not send out because of the message containing spam.
I have run a AVG scan, CClean and spybot but nothing shows as being on my computer.
What kind of problem am I looking for so I can do some research on how to get rid of it or any other info someone may have.

paul cottingham
06-15-2012, 4:05 PM
That sounds like a virus for sure. Try a different antivirus. I've seen computers where avg itself was infected.

Chuck Wintle
06-15-2012, 4:18 PM
try setting the account to ask for a password each time it sends an email.

Eric DeSilva
06-15-2012, 4:18 PM
More likely it is simply a spammer that used your address as a return address. It is called spoofing--see this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Email_spoofing

That said, I'd probably still change my password.

Steve Meliza
06-15-2012, 4:38 PM
More likely it is simply a spammer that used your address as a return address. I agree that this is likely the cause and so there isn't a darn thing you can do to stop it. E-mail is just like regular mail in that I can put on any return address I want, can send you good mail or junk, and anyone who handles the mail can easily open and read it if they like.

Dave Lehnert
06-15-2012, 5:19 PM
I agree that this is likely the cause and so there isn't a darn thing you can do to stop it. E-mail is just like regular mail in that I can put on any return address I want, can send you good mail or junk, and anyone who handles the mail can easily open and read it if they like.

But all the returned e-mails were trying to be sent to my contacts in my address book.

Myk Rian
06-15-2012, 5:37 PM
Do you have all your contacts stored at your ISPs website?
Are those contacts also stored in your Yahoo account?
I've had my Yahoo account jacked before. Changing the password was all it took to fix it.
Change BOTH of them.

Eric DeSilva
06-16-2012, 7:56 AM
See if you can reach out to someone in your contact list that may have gotten the email and ask them to copy the email header--in Outlook, right click on the email, select "Options..." and copy the field that says "Internet headers". That should give you a trail of how the email was actually routed and you can see if it actually was from your account. Doesn't your email account have a sent mail folder? Have you looked in that to see if there were emails you purportedly send that match the spam?

At this point, presumably you have changed your password?

Phil Thien
06-16-2012, 8:29 AM
I agree the most likely scenario is that your password at Yahoo was compromised, and they got any saved contacts there.

But I'd run tdsskiller from Kaspersky to make sure you don't have a root kit.

Also run Hitman Pro.

Both of those are free (Hitman Pro free in demo mode for thirty days).

It is possible that you were or are infected w/ a virus that harvests your contact list, and any saved passwords. That is getting more common.

Bill Huber
06-16-2012, 10:08 AM
Dave, you are the 3rd one at Yahoo to have this problem that I know of. I got hit with it and when I looked at the emails it was sending them to half of them were not in my Outlook on my home computer. I then logged into my ATT mail which is run by Yahoo and found the address were there. I have sent 3 emails to ATT about it but have never got anything back from them.