PDA

View Full Version : 39dollarglasses.com

Kevin Gregoire
06-15-2012, 12:54 PM
hello,
i don't know if you ever heard of 39dollarglasses.com but i took a chance and ordered two pairs of glasses from them (one regular and one sun)
i went to their website, found some nice frames i liked, filled in my prescription details i had and i placed my order but not before first filling in a
fifteen dollar off discount code (for each pair) so the total cost was $64 for two pairs shipped!

i just got the glasses the other day and i am very impressed!! the glasses were in a soft draw string pouch inside of a hard clam shell case and
they came with a cleaning cloth and little screwdriver for glasses.

the glasses fit good and looked great, the ear pieces just need a little adjustment but i can do that myself or maybe i will stop into walmart and
pay them a little to custom fit them but it isn't really necessary.

for the price i paid i just wanted to let everyone know about this place, you certainly cant go wrong on the cost if you need a new pair or extra
pairs to keep in the car or wherever?

when i have a little extra cash i am going to get a pair of prescription safety glasses (bifocals as i notice i am taking mine off a lot to do detail
sanding and scrolling)

i am not affiliated with this site. i just wanted to let everyone here know about this place and save some money!

http://www.39dollarglasses.com/

http://www.39dollarglasses.com/img/template/39logo2.jpg

Jerome Stanek
06-15-2012, 1:09 PM
Are these single vision or bi focals

Kevin Bourque
06-15-2012, 1:50 PM
I have been getting my glasses from them for about 5 years and I've been very happy with everything. Just last week I got my newest pair, along with a new pair of aviator sunglasses. The best part is that they always have discounts so you never actually pay $39. It usually takes about 10-14 days from the time you order until they arrive in the mail.

Dave Lehnert
06-15-2012, 4:19 PM
I always said I was going to give a mail order place like that a try. I drive 3 different cars/truck and my sunglasses are always in the other car when I need them.
A magazine (not sure what one) just had a story about mail order glasses. It was a very high percentage that turned out to be made wrong.
Good luck getting a local eyeglass shop to adjust them for you. they are very skilled at knowing where a pair comes from and how a customer is trying to get local service with mail order prices. Places around here, I heard, will not touch them. Can't say I blame them.
Not sure in your area but here in Cincinnati we have brick and mortar eyeglass shops that advertise two pair eyeglasses with an eye exam for $69.99. twopair dot com is one of them.

Larry Edgerton
06-15-2012, 5:38 PM
Pretty hard to get the optical center right through the mail............

Larry

Kevin Bourque
06-15-2012, 7:15 PM
Pretty hard to get the optical center right through the mail............

Larry

39dollarglasses.com has a downloadable measuring scale. It worked well for me.

Ari Friedman
06-15-2012, 7:33 PM
eyebuydirect is currently having a buy-one-get-one sale. I have tried both them and 39dg and find the quality similar.

glenn bradley
06-15-2012, 10:47 PM
I imagine your satisfaction will vary with your requirements. The eye-center difference on my crooked face is 5mm. Even the lab that my doc uses gets it wrong about every third time. They are so used to just cranking them out that a special instruction is easily lost. This is nothing new with the new cheaper offerings. Labs have been giving docs fits for decades. That's why the better eye docs would have a lab in house 30 years ago.

John Aspinall
06-18-2012, 10:27 AM
I have 3 pairs from 39$G; wearing one now.

What my eye doc said was: if you have a not-very-strong prescription, then the inter-pupil distance measurement is (1) not so critical, and (2) easier to measure yourself with the "dots on the mirror" method.
He looked my first pair over and thought they looked fine.

Here's a question for you, though: If you go to a lab and have then do the measurements, do you ask for a printed record of those measurements afterwards? You should; you've paid for them. Yet the lab has an interest in keeping them from you, so you'll come back again.

Belinda Barfield
06-18-2012, 2:46 PM
Interesting. I worked in ophthalmology for years. I also have a difficult prescription with nearsightedness and astigmatism that even the expensive labs sometimes mess up. I would agree that if you have a fairly simple prescription you would probably be happy with mail order.

John, when I get a new prescription my doc gives me a copy of the prescription with the PD (pupillary distance) measurement on the prescription. I have everything I need to order by mail, but I prefer to buy my glasses from my doc's office because they have a one year warranty that covers any and everything, and they adjust them free as often as needed. On the down side of that, my last pair of progressive bifocals with safety glass, non glare coating, and thinned edges cost me $600.00.

Joel Goodman
06-18-2012, 3:21 PM
I am a bit of a fusser about my glasses so I have a local shop that I like and use. Aside from IP distance and the setting of the bifocal (north south so to speak) he's a genius with adjustments. One thing I've learned is that if you are myopic it's good to match the base curve (this is the front curvature of the lens) between pairs of glasses. So if you get a pair that you like, have the sunglasses or extra pair made with the same BC. It's measured with a sort of dial micrometer. In correcting myopia some distortion is introduced and it is slightly different depending on the BC. Your brain filters it out, but a pair with a different BC distorts differently and it can seem weird when you put them on.

David Weaver
06-18-2012, 5:23 PM
Those are pretty expensive compared to what my wife got from zenni optical.

But in the end, I couldn't convince her that she should use the glasses, she had an odd complaint about them (she thought the glass went out too far on the edges - no clue what that means, I don't wear glasses).

Otherwise they were fine, but I think she felt like paying a premium for glasses locally would make them better.

I think zenni charged for options, though, so if you had special things that you wanted, the price could probably go above $39.

Matt Meiser
06-18-2012, 5:45 PM
I got new glasses from my long-time eye dr's office in January and paid over $500. First thing I noticed when I got them is the Made in China print on the frame. Just called them today to tell them they need to replace the frame for the second time because the rare earth magnets that hold the clip on sunglasses in place fell out again. Last time I tried to fix it while on vacation with some superglue and got the magnet in backwards despite (I thought) trying to be careful about that. Not happy at all about it. Especially since she's 45 minutes away.

Gary Max
06-19-2012, 7:33 AM
Wallyworld runs a $38.00 sale all the time------ a lot safer than online.
If they aren't right I don't pay---plus they have a warranty.

Kevin Gregoire
06-19-2012, 10:18 AM
i have been to walmart and looked at their cheap frame deals and thats exactly what they are.... cheap!
the frames i have are nice and solid with the spring loaded hinges which is a great feature, i dont know if
every frame has them but the two i picked out did. plus i guarantee wally world doesnt have the selection
of 39$G.com

100% Worry Free Guarantee

At 39dollarglasses.com, we offer a 100% Worry-Free Guarantee (certain lenses excluded*). Our objective is simple: to make sure every customer has a wonderful experience purchasing from us. If you are unhappy for ANY REASON you may return your eyeglasses for a full refund on your original order (except shipping, which is not refundable) or a one-time exchange at no cost. (Exchanges for higher-priced items will only be charged for the difference in price). We even provide FREE return shipping!

for those worried about PD (pupillary distance) i had printed out a little ruler they had and i had help with the measurment
but i think doing it yourself wouldnt be hard as you could tape it to a bathroom mirror at eye level and get your distance.

Mike Null
06-22-2012, 9:54 AM
I wear tri-focals and I've tried $39 glasses. I sent the first pair back and they replaced them. They were ok but not great. I've used the various eye glass chain stores and haven't been totally pleased there either. I bought my last pair at Sam's and after a few adjustments and a lens replacement I am still using them after 5 years. Their frame selection is limited but the price seemed to be as good as any.

I haven't been totally happy with any of my glasses for 20 years. (maybe it's my eyes that need replaced)

My doctor sells glasses but buying a pair from him is like making the payment on his BMW.

Larry Edgerton
06-22-2012, 5:16 PM
I buy my glasses at Doyle Optical in Winnetka Ill. Have always been happy.

Larry