PDA

View Full Version : Best Place To Sell Big woodworking tool

Derek Arita
06-15-2012, 11:01 AM
I have a woodworking tool that I have to sell in Northern California, but I'm new to the area and don't know where to post it. In SoCal, I'd do it in the Recycler, but up here, I'm lost. I have it on Craigs list, but I'm not sure how many woodworkers are on Craigs list. Any ideas?

John Cooper2
06-15-2012, 11:25 AM
You might be surprised on how many woodworkers are on CL.

If not a contributor here then become one then you can post an ad here as well.

Start with these two and you may be surprised.

John

Rick Fisher
06-15-2012, 12:16 PM
Yeah, if your in California, post it here ..

Just noticing my contributor thingy lapsed ..

David Kumm
06-15-2012, 12:25 PM
If it is a more heavy duty or industrial type machine the machinery exchange at www.woodweb.com (http://www.woodweb.com) is a good place. If a hobby type Asian machine not so much. Dave

Van Huskey
06-15-2012, 12:49 PM
As Dave said if it is truely big/heavy woodweb is good if it is old US Iron then owwm.com MIGHT be worth a shot but they like deals.

CL would be one of my first choices if it is Asian or Euro/US iron it does reach a lot of woodworkers, and I would list it here as well.

David Wong
06-15-2012, 3:04 PM
I bought all my stationary woodworking machines on craigslist in the San Francisco bay area. These include a 2.5hp Oneida cyclone, a 21in Felder bandsaw, and a Hammer A3-31 J/P. I have also seen larger Felder and SCMI machines listed and sold on sfbay.craigslist.com. I would give craigslist a try for your machine - it's free.

Myk Rian
06-15-2012, 5:55 PM
I have it on Craigs list, but I'm not sure how many woodworkers are on Craigs list. Any ideas?
I have 7 CL crawlers on my Google homepage.
I use Searchtempest to search CL up to 300 miles from home.
Naw. I don't think woodworkers use CL.

List it in more than 1 city/area on CL.

By the way, what machine is it? Someone here might want it.

Keith Outten
06-15-2012, 8:35 PM
Gentlemen,

Please don't turn this thread into a classified advertisement, this is not the proper forum.

Van Huskey
06-16-2012, 2:53 AM
Just so everyone understands it is verboten to use this (sub)forum to sell anything. Although, I don't think anyone thought the OP was trying to sell it here, that is why you will see Bruce edited the OP and my post because the OP mentioned the general type of machine and I repeated it. Point being asking about how/where to sell machines in a general sense is "OK" but asking about how to sell a specific machine (or what is a machine worth) isn't allowed since it will cause curiosity that could develop the thread into a sales thread.

Obviously, MY words have no force here, just an attempt to clear up any confusion, obviously a moderator will clear it up if I am off traget!

Rick Potter
06-16-2012, 3:56 AM
Is there a proper forum here for a contributor to ask what a machine is worth?? The classifieds seem logical, but apparantly there is a rule against it (second to last paragraph). I have been wanting to ask for a while, but don't want to bend the rules.

Rick Potter

Steven Triggs
06-16-2012, 4:24 AM
Is there a proper forum here for a contributor to ask what a machine is worth?? The classifieds seem logical, but apparantly there is a rule against it (second to last paragraph). I have been wanting to ask for a while, but don't want to bend the rules.

Rick Potter

From another thread, it looks like the classifieds forum is the correct place to ask a specific tool's value:

Actually, this is the correct forum. Keith's note refers to comments regarding the price one places on the item being sold, i.e., "you are asking too much", or " this is a great price."

"What's it worth" threads must be in Classified, as only Contributors can post here. Otherwise, if posted in another forum (Workshops), a "for sale" ad could be disguised as a "what's it worth" thread and posted by a non-contributor.

Derek Arita
06-16-2012, 11:06 AM
Sorry for mentioning the type of tool. I just wanted to differentiate the the tool from other, smaller tools. Also, to me, it seems a lot harder to sell machines or anything here in NorCal as opposed to how easy it was in SoCal. In SoCal, everyone goes to Craigs List and the Recycler Magazine to buy or sell anything and the Recycle is everywhere. Up here, there seems to be only Craigs List. As it turns out, I think the machine is selling today, from CL, but as a buyer, I really want to know where to go.
This goes for lots of items, like wheels and tires. In SoCal, there are lots of really great speed shops and wheel/tire specialty shops to go to and get quality products and workmanship. Up here, all the wheel/tire shops look like fly-by-night operations with no lifts or they are chain shops that look like Sears Auto...not for the enthusiast. Sorry for the rant.

Myk Rian
06-16-2012, 11:30 AM
Gentlemen,

Please don't turn this thread into a classified advertisement, this is not the proper forum.
Certainly not the intent.
If we knew what machine it is, we could suggest what area it might sell.
If the machine is vintage, it's always possible to sell it to someone on the east coast, and get it transported for free, or minimal cost, IF you know where to go for that.

Van Huskey
06-16-2012, 4:47 PM
but as a buyer, I really want to know where to go.

Obviously CL is one of the major outlets but you often have to extend the area you are willing to drive for larger high quality machines. Woodweb, OWWM "BOYD" for old US iron. Auctions are another option, IRS has a lot of stuff but much of it is East coast. Many of the forums have classifieds areas and you can always post a wanted ad. There are some good used machine dealers but the prices aren't bottom of the barrel, the only West coast dealer I know of off hand is Davis & Wells which as you might imagine is south of LA.