PDA

View Full Version : ATV Plates

Joe Hillmann
06-15-2012, 10:40 AM
I just found out that as of July 1st all atvs in WI need owner supplied license plates.

This could be huge business for anyone in WI with the ability to make them.

Here are the requirements,
minimum size 4"x 7.5"
background is white
lettering is black
must be mounted to back of atv or utv

I plan to order some white/ black rowmark that is meant for outside see if I can make a few bucks off this new law.

Jeff Belany
06-15-2012, 3:19 PM
I just started making them, did 14 this morning. Sure wish I have found out about it sooner. One dealer had already ordered 75 from a supplier. He says he'll order from me after he uses those up. Best selling item I've had in awhile.

Jeff in northern Wisconsin

Joe Hillmann
06-15-2012, 3:27 PM
I just found out this morning so I am even farther behind then you. Are you making them out of rowmark? I need to put a piece in the freezer and see how it holds up.

ray hampton
06-15-2012, 3:30 PM
OK , do you use numbers or letters or both ? did you keep a record of each plate ?

Joe Hillmann
06-15-2012, 5:21 PM
Ray, In Wisconsin the plates have to have the same number as the sticker from the DNR on the side of the ATV. So it is 4 numbers and 2 letters. It doesn't require any more record keeping than what I already do for my other products.

matthew knott
06-15-2012, 8:00 PM
You know it's cold when you have to check items in the freezer, on my seldom trips to WI I think it's actually warmer in the freezer !!

Jeff Belany
06-16-2012, 10:33 AM
I did the freezer thing with the Rowmark and it did fine. There are no record requirements that I know of. The customer can make his own from scratch if they want to. Many are using vinyl letters and sticking them on whatever. I also tried laser aluminum that works great but would cost more. Even thought about having sheet metal cut the same size and gluing the plastic to it. Would make a very durable piece but too much work so more money.

One plus for us engravers is that laser engraved is more durable than stick on letters. Many of my customers have told me that they have used stick on letters on machines and after they get power washed a few times (the ATV's get dirty) the power washer will blow them off.

Hope to do a bunch of these!!

Jeff in northern Wisconsin

Keith Outten
06-17-2012, 8:14 AM
I have made these types of plates for golf carts and many other utility vehicles over the years. I use Dupont Corian scraps and either Laser Engrave or CNC Route the text. If there are graphics involved or a logo I prefer to Laser Engrave. For rough terrain vehicles the best choice is CNC Route King Color Core material because it is near indestructible, even power washing can't harm the plate since the colors are permanent. Color Core is fast and easy, no painting is required or any other type of finish.

Luann Brainard
06-17-2012, 10:56 AM
In Minnesota, the plate can be any color as long as the letters /numbers are in a contrasting color. I'm thinking of doing one in durablack, which is supposed to be indestructable. Add one more thing to the marketing list!

Keith Outten
06-19-2012, 7:37 AM
I sure would appreciate it if Virginia would pass a similar law. It would be nice to have more of these kinds of products since they are quick and easy providing the price point is favorable.

Joe Hillmann
06-19-2012, 10:13 AM
You know it's cold when you have to check items in the freezer, on my seldom trips to WI I think it's actually warmer in the freezer !!

Matt, your right, I told a lady that I tested it in my freezer and how far it bent when it was cold, her response was that most freezers only get down to about 0 and what happens when it gets to -30. And I had to tell her I didn't know how brittle it would get.

Terry Albrecht
06-19-2012, 10:23 AM
Matt, your right, I told a lady that I tested it in my freezer and how far it bent when it was cold, her response was that most freezers only get down to about 0 and what happens when it gets to -30. And I had to tell her I didn't know how brittle it would get.

Did you tell her that if it gets down to -30 to not bend the vehicle plate?