PDA

View Full Version : No plattertudes expected...

Steve Busey
06-14-2012, 10:00 PM
I hang around here every day, but can't seem to find a lot of quality time in the shop. This project has been in the works for quite a few months. I was "inspired" by (ie: I tried to copy) a John Keeton platter (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?174481-Platters-something-kind-of-new-for-me%21&p=1794214#post1794214) from last year. It was the first "big" project I tried on my 1642 (although it's only about 10" dia).

I had fun with it, but got real frustrated with my sanding attempts - always ended up with visible marks the minute I put any kind of oil/finish on it. An opportunity came up to drive by John's shop at the end of April, and he graciously showed me his sanding technique (which starts with quality paper... :rolleyes:). Life goes on, I've managed to sneak in a sanding here, a layer of finish there, but I finally decided to put this one to rest. I've got it's mirror image soul mate waiting for it's turn on the lathe.

Finished with WTF, sanded a bazillion times before and after, and buffed. How's my signature on the back? :p

Comments welcome; what embellishments might have looked good on this (or the next: walnut w/ maple wave band)?

And thanks again, John. For the help AND the "inspiration"!

(Need more practice photographing big things too...)

Steve Vaughan
06-14-2012, 10:22 PM
Looks like success to me! It's a great looking piece and from what I can tell, you're spot on with the finish. Really, really nice it is!

Roger Chandler
06-14-2012, 10:25 PM
Very nice Steve............looks like you laser engraved the signature on the back.........nice touch!

Scott Hackler
06-14-2012, 11:04 PM
That looks very nice to me! Looks like some very clean joint lines as well. So do you own a laser or was that a job that was "farmed out".

John Beaver
06-14-2012, 11:44 PM
Steve, I think it's a great looking platter. I love the design.

When cutting compound curves on matching boards, you usually end up with a little gap somewhere due to the kerf of the saw blade. I have solved this by using a piece of veneer the same thickness as the blade and gluing it between the boards. Makes them match back up perfectly. A nice piece of black can help define the line.

Kathy Marshall
06-15-2012, 12:13 AM
Looks great Steve! Excellent job on the joints and I really like your wood choices.

Steve Busey
06-15-2012, 6:11 AM
So do you own a laser or was that a job that was "farmed out".

My visit to John coincided to a road trip to pick up a used laser. So it's one more thing to distract me from the sawdust side of the wall...

Steve Busey
06-15-2012, 6:12 AM
a little gap somewhere due to the kerf of the saw blade. I have solved this by using a piece of veneer the same thickness as the blade and gluing it between the boards.

An excellent tip from the master - thanks, John!

John Keeton
06-15-2012, 6:14 AM
Excellent work, Steve!!! Good, clean glue up, too. Very nice work on getting the radius right on the lasered signature - not easy an easy task from what I have seen done on my platters. Looks like you are putting the Epilog to good use.

Bernie Weishapl
06-15-2012, 9:31 AM
Great piece Steve. Joints look good and nice finish.

Dave Haughs
06-15-2012, 9:46 AM
Looks really nice

Steve bellinger
06-15-2012, 10:05 AM
great looking platter and you won that battle as it looks real sharp.

Jim Burr
06-15-2012, 11:15 AM
You should be doing those every week Steve...this one is fantastic!!

Tim Rinehart
06-15-2012, 11:35 AM
Nicely done Steve. You guys and your lasers!! And I thought they were just for hollowing.
I have doing one of these on my bucket list of stuff to try, nice suggestion from John B on the veneer strip too!

Russell Eaton
06-15-2012, 7:34 PM
Steve I hope you bring that tomorrow. That thing rocks...+1 on you doing one a week.

Steve Busey
06-15-2012, 10:58 PM
Steve I hope you bring that tomorrow. That thing rocks...+1 on you doing one a week.

See ya tomorrow Russell. Hold your breath on that one a week thing. I'm lucky if I even see the shop some weeks... :(