PDA

View Full Version : There's nothing like a clean swept floor.............

John M. Smith
06-14-2012, 8:13 PM
234503Gotta love a clean shop. Oh yah, a little stealth gloat too. That's my new bandsaw in the foreground. Work's great. :D:D:D

David DeCristoforo
06-14-2012, 8:18 PM
That's revolting...

Alan Trout
06-14-2012, 8:21 PM
That's revolting... I agree completely.

Alan

Bernie Weishapl
06-14-2012, 8:36 PM
Wow I was always told a clean shop is never used!!:eek::rolleyes: If I am not a foot or more deep in chips it just feels weird.

charlie knighton
06-14-2012, 8:38 PM
congratulations on the new bandsaw.......almost did not see it .....blinded by the neatness....get to work!!!!!!!!!!

John Keeton
06-14-2012, 8:55 PM
Now, that is what a shop is supposed to look like!!!!:) My hat (if I wore one!) goes off to you, John. Congrats on the BS - nice one!

John M. Smith
06-14-2012, 9:26 PM
Thanks John. It's nice to know there are others out there that don't believe you need to stand knee deep in shavings to get anything done.:D I find it more relaxing when I can find the tools I need and don't have to search all over. Of course that photo only shows about 1/4 of my shop. The rest isn't quite so organized........yet.

Roger Chandler
06-14-2012, 9:28 PM
Pretty nice diggs there John..............I like to get the curlees up after every project myself.........nice band saw and nice shop!

Denny Rice
06-14-2012, 9:38 PM
I wish I had that much natural light in mine! Very nice shop indeed. Mine hasn't been that clean in months!

Greg Just
06-14-2012, 9:47 PM
Mine looked like that once. That was the day before I got my first lathe! :D

Tom Wilson66
06-14-2012, 9:49 PM
I had a clean floor in my shop, then I got some tools and wood:rolleyes:. Has needed swept ever since:D.

Leo Graywacz
06-14-2012, 10:08 PM
What's a floor? Is it that gray stuff I see? :rolleyes:

Bob Bergstrom
06-15-2012, 8:57 AM
Glad my wife can't see this post. Nice shop, and bandsaw.

Jim Underwood
06-15-2012, 12:26 PM
Heck with the clean shop, I'm salivating over that space.... Not too crazy about concrete floors, but they are easier to clean.

Scott Hackler
06-15-2012, 5:36 PM
Ahhh my eyes, my eyes! I thought that was a picture of a Woodcraft showroom! :)

Alas, my shop is 1) not that large and 2) right now looks like an explosion just happened!

Roger Chandler
06-15-2012, 5:50 PM
I think about two things related to shop clean up............first, I don't want a fire hazzard......so I clean up the curlees and second, I do not want to introduce an environment where a lot of bugs, worms, termites, spiders, etc. take up residence....any or all of them...........so I clean up, besides a clean shop is a safer shop.

Now mine gets piled up for sure........right now I can't see the top of my table saw hardly.............but I don't like it that way and will remedy that condition as soon as I can...........I am with Jim........I just don't have enough space and it irks me!!! :mad:;);)

Tom Winship
06-15-2012, 8:26 PM
A cluttered shop is a sign of a great craftsman.

(Sorry John)

Allen stagg
06-15-2012, 8:37 PM
I too, can't stand shaving on the floor. I stop often and vacuum up all shaving on lathe and floor. Used to not be that way, but at work, i demand a clean area (chemical plant) and wore off at home shop also.

Bob Varney
06-16-2012, 4:56 PM
Well you guys will not believe this, I was in THIS shop today, low and behold there was shavings under the lathe from the night before.
A big handfull from a pen! But it is a very nice shop, even with shavings on the floor.

Bob

Steve Schlumpf
06-16-2012, 6:44 PM
Nice shop! Congrats on your new bandsaw!

I am another of those folks that prefer a clean work environment!!

Sid Matheny
06-16-2012, 7:10 PM
Looks sacrilege to me! :rolleyes:

Sid

John M. Smith
06-16-2012, 9:21 PM
Thanks for the compliments on the shop. I am very fortunate to have a wife that supports my endeavors.

Thanks fro the visit Bob. Had a good time at the meeting today.

As far as the clean shop, I contribute it to working in a wood office furniture plant for the last 29 years. We are required to clean up at the end of every day. Guess it formed a habit.

Oh yah........I'm also a little OCD. My family tells me I'm CDO because I would rearrange the letters alphabetically.:D:D:D:D

Baxter Smith
06-16-2012, 10:18 PM
Great looking shop!

Grant Wilkinson
06-18-2012, 8:04 AM
John: What is the floor covering? I'm looking to put something onto the cement of my basement shop. Tks

Rick Markham
06-18-2012, 8:11 AM
Ahhh my eyes, my eyes! I thought that was a picture of a Woodcraft showroom! :)

Alas, my shop is 1) not that large and 2) right now looks like an explosion just happened!

My house looks like my tiny shop exploded everywhere... it looks like a sawdust floored honky tonk in my house! :eek:(Only with curlies :D) But to me it's home, nothing quite like fresh curlies between your toes when you slide out of bed in the morning :rolleyes:

Jerry Hillenburg
06-18-2012, 8:50 AM
John nice clean shop. I also like my shop neat and clean - I find woodworking more enjoyable when it is. To keep my shop clean I have a 15hp Aget dust collector that runs when dust is being made. At the end of the day I turn on my super high cfm 3hp 18" tubeaxel fan that exhausts to the outside, I open the door at the other end of the shop, and fire up my Sthil leaf blower. That fan has unbelievable suction and the leaf blower moves a lot of air. After that I take Cabinet Magic and wipe down the countertops. Shop is ready for the next day! ​

Rick Markham
06-18-2012, 7:57 PM
Beautiful Shop John! Jerry your shop is gorgeous too! Hopefully one day I'll have a tidy shop (with SPACE, and places to put things) like y'alls! I'm going to go run my dust collector now (the broom and dustpan.)

Robert Henrickson
06-18-2012, 8:31 PM
Another shop that looks like it has a footprint larger than my house. The cleanliness is unnerving.

John M. Smith
06-18-2012, 9:01 PM
Grant- The cement is just bare. I never put anything on it.

Jerry- i also find it more enjoyable when the shop is neat and tidy.

Robert- Don't tell my wife but........my shop is slightly larger than my house.

Again thanks for the compliments.

Jerry Hillenburg
06-19-2012, 7:34 AM
Rick, Thank you for your nice complement. For me, there will never be enough space and places to put things.

Robert, I have my priorities right. I live in a 1200 square foot house and my shop is 2800 square feet. The shop is on a 4 lane highway 1/2 mile from the house. The house/shop distance is a factor in the survival of our great marriage that will have a 40th anniversery on July 15th. If it was next to my house I would spend to much time in it and neglect what my wife calls "husbandly duties" - whatever that means.

John, I am retired now - my shop is idle, but even when my shop was buzzing with employees I demanded that they keep the shop clean by sweeping throughout the day and blowing it out at the end of the day. They appreciated coming to a clean shop every morning. Customers appreciated it to - I sold a lot of cabinets just by giving them a tour of the shop. It is nice to have this shop for my own personal use now. For you contractors out there, check out my "about me" for the strategy I used to retire at 50.

Grant Wilkinson
06-19-2012, 1:48 PM
Tks much, John. I wish that my cement floor looked like yours. Mine shows every colour of stain that I have sprayed/brushed/wiped on over the past few years.

John M. Smith
06-19-2012, 2:08 PM
I keep the floor looking good because I do my staining in my old shop. Someday I hope to add on a small finish room. On the rare occasion I do stain, I put down a drop cloth.

Roy Turbett
06-21-2012, 8:29 PM
John nice clean shop. I also like my shop neat and clean - I find woodworking more enjoyable when it is. To keep my shop clean I have a 15hp Aget dust collector that runs when dust is being made. At the end of the day I turn on my super high cfm 3hp 18" tubeaxel fan that exhausts to the outside, I open the door at the other end of the shop, and fire up my Sthil leaf blower. That fan has unbelievable suction and the leaf blower moves a lot of air. After that I take Cabinet Magic and wipe down the countertops. Shop is ready for the next day! ​

+1 on using an electric leaf blower to keep things tidy. I have overhead doors on opposite ends of my 30 x 40 shop and cleanup is a breeze!

Ronald Campbell
06-24-2012, 10:15 PM
Not to worry. I got to work with John this past weekend on a collaborative piece we are doing. I messed up this shop big time. Glue everywhere on the table. I also left without cleaning up. John needs to post photos.
Ron

John M. Smith
06-25-2012, 6:02 PM
Too late for pictures Ron. Already cleaned up. And Scott was over yesterday too. He didn't clean up either.

Ronald Campbell
06-25-2012, 10:11 PM
Yes John's shop is like a surgical room. But I worked with him Sat and messed up his surgical room. Sorry I did not take photos. Working on Segmented piece with John and I did the glueing and I had glue everywhere. Get over it John
Ron