PDA

View Full Version : Looking for Rusties, again..

steven c newman
06-14-2012, 7:36 PM
Found a few rusties, too. Picked up a Stanley #120 with a broken cap, and picked up a cap as well. Two dollars and fourteen cents got me a "dovetail-type saw"234502Ten inch long blade, depth was under 1-1/2". Yep, rusty. Due for a long soaking.

Also picked up today, a DE6 handplane. 18" long. It will take awhile to soak clean. :eek: Will need a new front low knob, not a biggie, I think I can fire up the lathe for one. Just not sure WHAT brand a #DE6 was made by. It's coming in from Florida, but.... i'm thinking maybe Ohio Tool co. might have made them??? It will get here in about a week. The 120 is here, cap will get here next Tuesday, or so.

Just took a better look at the DE6, seems it has a "grooved bottom". Looking better all the time....

More fun....:D

Joe Bailey
06-14-2012, 7:46 PM
DE planes ("Diamond Edge") were one of the product lines of the Norvell-Shapleigh Hardware Company. I believe they later merged with/absorbed Keen Kutter.

steven c newman
06-15-2012, 1:57 PM
Ok, got the DE6 "ID'. That #120 will be getting a new cap, and a knob later. Which leaves that "Dovetail Saw" find. Smallest files I have are 5" Extra Slim Tapers. Maybe be small enough? I can feel about three teeth sticking out more than the rest of the mob. Maybe a stone to level them out? Blade is straight, just quite rusty. Looks almost like a small weld bead, holding the ferrel of the handle to the saw's back. This might be a bit of fun to re-hab......

steven c newman
06-17-2012, 2:11 PM
Yard sales yesterday. Picked up a couple more small block planes ( WITH knobs) One has a allen headed screw to tighten the cap in place. Picked up a saw set, and a saw jointer. Added a straight bladed screw driver, with a wood handle. Should clean up alright. To round things up to a Dollar bill ( with the saw set & jointer, and the screwdriver) I picked up a second "screwdriver". A Millers Falls 61A. NO RUST on it, none. Red handle could use a re-finish, though. Can still read all the "etch" on the barrel of the screwdriver.

A "Yankee-style" Millers Falls screwdriver? For a quarter?? photos later.....