PDA

View Full Version : 3HP Delta Unisaw

Andrew McCarthy
04-04-2005, 4:34 PM
I have a 3 HP single phase Delta Unisaw, and I am going to be moving it to a jobsite in the next few weeks. There is no 220V service at the jobsite, only 110V. As a result, I am contemplating purchasing a voltage converter, though I am uncertainas to the wattage that I would need. I am considering buying either a 3,000 Watt or 5,000 Watt step up voltage converter, but am unsure if this would be enough. The website I am looking at purchasing this from is www.converterstore.com/step_up_down_converters.htm (http://www.converterstore.com/step_up_down_converters.htm). The jobsite has a 50A 110V circuit, so I think that should not be a concern. Any and all help is greatly appreciated!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Andrew McCarthy
04-04-2005, 4:53 PM
I was looking at the ST5000, which is at www.converterstore.com/Step_Up_Down_Converters.htm (http://www.converterstore.com/Step_Up_Down_Converters.htm)Also, what is the difference between a single phase transformer and a voltage converter, and why would one be better than the other?

Richard Wolf
04-04-2005, 6:10 PM
Is there just no 220 outlets in the house, or no 220 in the box. It would seem unlikely that there wasn't two legs coming in the house. It would be easier to wire in one circuit if there was.

Richard

Steve Stube
04-04-2005, 10:12 PM
Might consider a portable generator until power at the panel is available.

Jamie Buxton
04-04-2005, 11:00 PM
I have a somewhat older Unisaw. Its motor can be wired for either 110 or 220. I'll bet that your saw can also be wired for 110 use. The only downside of using the saw on 110 is that you might pop the circuit breaker if you really load up the saw -- y'know, rip 3" oak real fast, or the like. If you pop the breaker, there's no harm done. Turn off the saw, reset the breaker, re-start the saw, and saw a little slower next time.

lou sansone
04-05-2005, 6:40 AM
andrew

please ignore my previous post on the convereters. I am not sure how I got twisted around on the topic.

Ok lets try again... your saw can only run on 220 and you only have 110 available... @ 220 you are going to to need something like 18 amps. So i guess if the converters have a 20 amp 220 volt outlet you are all set.

sorry for the confusion.
regards
lou

Ralph Barhorst
04-05-2005, 8:33 AM
I agree with Jamie. More than likely your saw can be connected for 110 volt input. This would be the easiest and most efficient way to do this. Also, you can do this for almost nothing. All you need is a new 110 volt plug for your saw. There should be a connection diagram on the motor or in your manual that shows how to connect the saw for 110 volts.

The problem with generators and transformers is the start current that your saw requires. The saw will not come up to speed quite as fast when using either a generator or transformer. This means that your transformer or generator must be sized to at least 5000 watts if you expect the saw to have the same performance as it did on 220 volts.

Jim Becker
04-05-2005, 9:15 AM
Folks....this is a 3hp saw that Andrew has. I do not believe the motor is convertible to 120v and even if it was, the amperage requirement for the circuit would be "a lot". (The older UniSaws with the 1.5hp motors could run on either voltage) I believe he really needs to get 240v available, either directly from the on-site service or via another means, such as a generator large enough to handle the load.

Bart Leetch
04-05-2005, 9:24 AM
I have to agree with Jim.

Wouldn't it be less expensive just to purchase a job site saw & much easier to move also?

Greg Narozniak
04-05-2005, 11:55 AM
Jim is correct. Being the owner of a 3hp Uni there is no way to run it on 110

I think the generator idea is the best

Rob Russell
04-05-2005, 1:25 PM
If you were going to use the step-up transformer, you'd need the ST5000. 240volts*17 amps=~4000+ watts and you'd want the head room of the ST5000.

That transformer will draw about 35 amps @ 120volts, so you'd need to run that transformer on a circuit wired with at least a 40 amp breaker and #8 wire. If the saw were going to be used continuously or with continual stop/start action, you'd want to run it off of the 50 amp circuit.

Norman James
05-26-2011, 1:55 PM
I had connected my uni with a 3 hp motor to a 5500 generator. I started having trouble and got a unified response from the motor repair shops that is is a really bad thing to do. It is supposed to play havoc on the capacitors and over heat the start windings. My problem turned out to be something else (dust inside), but you sure don't want to have to buy a new 3 hp 1-phase motor.

Paul McGaha
05-26-2011, 4:14 PM
Easy to spend someone else's money but I agree with Bart L. Maybe get a 2nd saw for jobsite use. Something that runs off of 120 volts and also a little more mobile than a cabinet saw. I would think a good contractors saw would be ideal. Maybe even a used one.

PHM