PDA

View Full Version : problem with dfx file import

Cindy Rhoades
06-14-2012, 12:54 PM
I have a customer who is wanting a heart plaque that has text following the outline of the heart. I ordered the plaques that had to be custom made because they didn' stock the particular size I needed so I had them send me the drawing so I could make sure I could follow the exact path. When they sent me the drawing in dfx (which is supposed to be auto cad) It comes out horrible with jagged edges not smooth lines, I have tried everything including sending the file to a friend of mine who is an engineer and works with auto cad all day long and he couldn't get it to come out like it should. Does any one know of what I could try to get this to show up as lines like it should. I have even tried converting it then tracing and that didn't work. I am about to pull my hair out trying to get this artwork done.

Sandy Henry
06-14-2012, 2:32 PM
Import into Corel, convert to curves, select nodes & click tool to make nodes smooth. Maybe?

james burchfield
06-14-2012, 2:40 PM
would it be possible for you to post the file?

Cindy Rhoades
06-14-2012, 2:51 PM
Here is the file.

james burchfield
06-14-2012, 2:53 PM
hmm when i try to open it its blank.

Cindy Rhoades
06-14-2012, 3:36 PM
that's what I got too. When I sent it to a friend of mine he somehow got into it and tried to trace it for me nad it didn't work either. I will attach that file to show you what he gave me.

james burchfield
06-14-2012, 3:43 PM
Could you use the basic shape tool to create the heart since they give you the exact measurements?

Tony Lenkic
06-14-2012, 5:33 PM
Cindy try this...

Doug Griffith
06-14-2012, 9:30 PM
I looked at the PDF and noticed that the graphic embedded in it is vector. For future reference, if you can zoom into the graphic as much as possible and it doesn't pixelate, the graphic is a vector. Tracing it would not be the way to go.

DXFs are composed of a bunch of disconnected polylines so you don't want to go there either if you don't have to.

It looks like Tony pulled the vector out for you.

Steven Cox
06-15-2012, 1:52 AM
I looked at the PDF and noticed that the graphic embedded in it is vector. For future reference, if you can zoom into the graphic as much as possible and it doesn't pixelate, the graphic is a vector. Tracing it would not be the way to go.

I'll just drop in this tip for those that don't know not quite on topic but handy to know. From CorelDraw X4 onwards if a PDF file contains a vector you can import the PDF file into a corel document then ungroup or break it apart to access the vector/s, images text etc.... Also if the PDF contains multiple pages you'll get the option to select the page or just import the lot & corel will add multiple pages in your file.

Regards Steve.

Cindy Rhoades
06-15-2012, 12:19 PM
Tony Thank you you are awesome, I have been banging my heard against a wall for a week with this thing. I get in these jams that either I have a customer that is line in the middle of a bunch of orders and I start to experience brain damage and can't think straight or I am at a show and only have 24 to 48 hours to figure how to get it done. Sawmill Creek has laways helped me out and I am still learning even after 4 years and I love it.

I will also keep the other suggestions and info in mind for the next job that wants to challenge me. Thanks everyone you are all great.

Cindy Rhoades
06-16-2012, 11:11 AM
Tony

Your file worked great. I finished the artwork for both plaques needed in less than an hour, just need customer approval and I am good to go. Thanks so much for your help.

Tony Lenkic
06-16-2012, 5:13 PM
You're welcome Cindy. Glad it worked for you.

BTW, could you add your equipment/software you are using so we can make sure we give you right type of file in future.