PDA

View Full Version : Bad ebay listing?

Jim Koepke
06-14-2012, 12:41 PM
Item 160822098296 is listed with wording to make it seem like a Stanley #1.

Am I confused or do others also see this listing to be a bit off?

jtk

Lonnie Gallaher
06-14-2012, 12:50 PM
The current bid is sure high for a no-name, without tote and knob, #4. Someone will be disappointed.

Gary Benson
06-14-2012, 12:53 PM
If you look front knob mounting area, you can see marks from the masking tape, and it looks like the area has been sand or media blasted. The look of the edges also makes me think that the shiny Jappaning is a fresh paint job. Certainly a bit off. In response to a question, he states the length as over 9 inches. Maybe the #4 looks like a #1?
Gary

Jim Koepke
06-14-2012, 12:55 PM
The current bid is sure high for a no-name, without tote and knob, #4. Someone will be disappointed.

Unless my memory is gone, the depth adjuster is incorrect for a #1 and there was never a lateral adjuster on the #1.

The depth adjuster looks to be from just after WWII.

jtk

Sam Takeuchi
06-14-2012, 1:06 PM
It's not bit off, it's off by far. Basically everything in title and description is bogus, only thing true is the length he stated in answer.

Jim, he says it's 9.25". It's not even No.1 sized. Since he mentions 2" in the title, I suppose that's the blade width.

By the way, blade and cap iron is set wrong.

Jim Koepke
06-14-2012, 1:16 PM
Jim, he says it's 9.25". It's not even No.1 sized. Since he mentions 2" in the title, I suppose that's the blade width.

I saw that, but he does have Model 1 and No. 1 in his description.

Just looked again and the lateral adjuster looks to be from one of Stanley's lesser lines if it is a Stanley.

To me it looks like one of those, "I know nothing about these things… " kind of listing by someone who knows enough to think he can get away with a fraudulent sale.

jtk

Gary Herrmann
06-14-2012, 2:26 PM
If you use the zoom feature, you can see what looks like a 1 scratched into the finish where the tote would sit. Hope nobody gets bitten too badly.

Mike Henderson
06-14-2012, 2:36 PM
I sent a message to the seller asking him/her to change the description to more accurately reflect the plane. At least if the buyer makes a PayPal claim, PayPal will see that the seller was notified about the misleading description.

Oops, I see the seller just cancelled the auction.

Mike

Gary Herrmann
06-14-2012, 2:43 PM
I sent a message to the seller asking him/her to change the description to more accurately reflect the plane. At least if the buyer makes a PayPal claim, PayPal will see that the seller was notified about the misleading description.

Oops, I see the seller just cancelled the auction.

Mike

Yep. I did the same. He/she responded to me asking some questions. I don't think the seller wants to misrepresent the plane. No connection.

Jim Koepke
06-14-2012, 3:24 PM
Yep. I did the same. He/she responded to me asking some questions. I don't think the seller wants to misrepresent the plane. No connection.

Yes, I also sent a message to the seller.

Apparently they know nothing about planes and did the right thing by canceling the sale.

In another thread someone was asking about a tote bolt that reminded me that I have no stock on some sizes and went to ebay to search for some and found the plane.

jtk

Sam Takeuchi
06-14-2012, 3:36 PM
I bet the seller was quite surprised at the amount of messages he/she received in the past few hours. Auction was up for a few days already and probably went quietly until today. But it's good that seller canceled it.

Gary Herrmann
06-14-2012, 4:33 PM
Jim's last post reminds me that I don't have a lot of extra parts for my vintage tools. Something to think about.

The seller seems like a good person. I told him/her I was no expert on planes, but would try to help. Also pointed the seller at Patrick's blood and gore.