PDA

View Full Version : bamboo individual strips

Ryan Brucks
06-14-2012, 12:03 PM
Hey Guys,

I like the look of bamboo plywood alot, but I am looking to do something else with bamboo. I have tried everywhere to look for a place to buy the individual ripped bamboo strips (maybe 1/8" by 1" or so?) that the bamboo ply is made from, but I have been unsucesful, except for one site that charges 35 bucks per strip (yikes!).

I also found some type of compressed bamboo dimensional lumber, but that is definitely not what I am after.

Anybody know if its feasible to buy individual machined bamboo strips anywhere?

Sam Murdoch
06-14-2012, 12:35 PM
About 10 years ago I bought a bundle of whole round bamboo that I then split myself and/or used the full dia. Haven't a clue from where, but I can try to find that source if that might be of use to you.

Jeff Duncan
06-14-2012, 3:37 PM
This is just a wild guess as I don;t really know, but I would't be surprised if the Bamboo sheets are being fabricated in Asia and shipped over? If so finding the strips may be tough. You could always buy a sheet with the strips oriented in a way that would make it easy for you to slice the apart? I know...not the most practical....but if all else fails???

good luck,
JeffD

Richard Coers
06-14-2012, 3:38 PM
Found some 6' pieces here. 1 3/4 wide, doesn't give thickness, $6 ea
http://www.amazuluinc.com/bamboo-slats

James Baker SD
06-14-2012, 3:43 PM
If you want whole round poles, come to my house and you can cut your own. It grows like a weed.

russell lusthaus
06-18-2012, 11:15 AM
I get bamboo slats from Franks in California - they come about 2 inchs wide and about 1/8 plus in thickness - - similar to what Richard Coers has posted. They come with the outer sections crowned, and the inner slightly concave, so they will require some flattening, depending on what you want to use them for. If memory serves, Franks sold them for 6 bucks a piece too - but I think they come in 8 foot lengths. Check out their website as they have many other bamboo products and options for you. Good Luck.

Russ