PDA

View Full Version : Where to get a bailey style plane part

Tony Wilkins
06-14-2012, 11:31 AM
I got a no-name #5 to tide me over until I get my Old street Jack. It came from a good guy on another forum but it was damaged in the mail. The tote was broken so he sent me a new one (probably worth as much as the $22 I spent on the plane). I have one more problem - the long screw that goes through the tote was bent as well (thanks Mr. postman). Hammering has only got it close to straight but not close enough to get it fastened in. Where can I get a new one?

TIA,
Tony

Jessica Pierce-LaRose
06-14-2012, 11:38 AM
Stanley parts are still available from Stanley (stanleytoolparts.com) although the shipping cost was quite high. Highland Woodworking carries some of them too, the shipping isn't as bad there.

I have a little box full of assorted parts, I'll check to see if I have any of the tote screws left. I'm assuming the plane has the weird stanley threads, and not the metric threads of later british made stanley planes?

Dan Carroll
06-14-2012, 11:38 AM
Check the threads first, but I have had luck in an odd place ---Stanley Tools web site. They keep more than you would think in stock. I would also add that when talking one time to a service rep I was told that they have alot of parts not on the site for 'all kinds of really old stuff'. You have to get someone on the phone that does more than read the computer screen. Seems stuff has never been thrown out. Also St. James Bay Tool Company is a good source. Don't expect them to get back by e-mail however.

Jessica Pierce-LaRose
06-14-2012, 12:16 PM
Tony - just checked the parts drawer - I've got the long rods for the rear tote on a bailey style plane - both the coarser imperial thread (just checks, fits my old No. 4) used on the vintage planes and the finer metric thread in used on some of the later baileys. I only have the brass tops to the rod in the metric thread (I think at some point I bought the "repair kit" from Stanleytoolparts (http://stanleytoolparts.com/spkit3baplsc.html) that has like, all of the screws for both metric and standard planes) But if you've still got the brass top for the nut, then you should be set.

I also have the screws from a Millers Falls style plane - same threading, but rather than a rod with a separate brass nut, it's a one piece steel construction. Fits in a smaller countersink in the handle. Don't know what your plane has.

Your welcome to whatever you need, PM me if you need some clarification, photos or measurements, and I can toss 'em in the mail in a day or two.

That said, I've found "straight enough" usually works with those rods - if you can thread it into the handle and turn it freely, it will usually work. What I've had to do with a couple of planes is thread it through the handle, and start it in the tapped holes while holding the handle up - once it starts threading, I can press the handle in place and torque everything down.

As far as I know, the parts Highland Woodworking sells are the same bits as from Stanley Tool Parts, but I do remember that the one time I ordered something from Stanley, the shipping was quite a bit for a few screws.

Mark Wyatt
06-14-2012, 6:00 PM
If Joshua's offer does not match your needs, I also have a few extras that would fit. Please measure the length as in my parts drawer I have two distinct length screws. The only times I've not been able to salvage a tote screw is when the threads are damaged or that is where the bend occurs.

Tony Wilkins
06-14-2012, 6:25 PM
P.M.’d Joshua and I think he is going to be able to help me out. Thanks to all.

Jessica Pierce-LaRose
06-15-2012, 11:36 AM
If Joshua's offer does not match your needs, I also have a few extras that would fit. Please measure the length as in my parts drawer I have two distinct length screws. The only times I've not been able to salvage a tote screw is when the threads are damaged or that is where the bend occurs.

Mark, this one might have to go to you - I was about to send the rods out the Tony and wasn't until I was about to pack them up that I realized the rods I have are the slightly shorter length used on the #3 and #4 sized, and probably not the right length for his number 5 sized plane. I PM'd Tony, so if mine actually are long enough, I'll send him mine, but I don't think they'll work.

The lengths are close enough I didn't even notice it until I pulled out three rods and saw that one of the metric ones was longer than the other two I was holding.

Greg Muller
06-22-2012, 10:28 AM
Tony,
If Josh or Mark don't have exactly what you need, let me know. I have a box of about 60+ tote and knob rods. If they don't work, then I can always make one. I have a 12-20 die for threading rod.

Joel Goodman
06-22-2012, 10:38 AM
You guys are awesome!

Tony Wilkins
06-22-2012, 11:31 AM
You guys are awesome!

Ditto!!! 10char

JERRY BRINKMAN
06-23-2012, 9:55 PM
Bob Kaune in Port Angels WA will have almost any part you may need for your plane, antique-used. Very good in this area.