PDA

View Full Version : Turning with a differnece

Robert Simmons
04-30-2003, 10:41 AM
Those of you who know me might remember that I'm primarily a turner - up until now turning wood. I decided to try my hand at something a little different for a change. It's great fun and quite a challenge, but it's not going to replace my lathe any time soon. The biggest piece is about 6.5 inches, finish is a 2400 degree fire polish.
Kids, don't try this at home.

Robert

Stan Smith
04-30-2003, 11:03 AM
Wow, that's quite a change alright, Robert. We took a class on stained glass awhile back and I discovered that I just didn't have the knack to break the glass in the right place. Now glass blowing, that's really something!

Robert Simmons
04-30-2003, 4:40 PM
It's a different approach to similar forms. A lump of screaming hot glass on the end of a blowpipe will focus your attention just like a big bowl blank spinning on the lathe will. I did a lot of stained glass years ago, in fact I still have a lot of sheet glass around the shop mostly collecting dust. It's great fun, but I'm not giving up my wood shop any time soon.
Thanks much,
Robert

Mark Kauder
04-30-2003, 5:12 PM
Cool stuff Robert - Just remember that old glassblowing saying "Don't inhale or you end up with a Pane in your stomach"

See you Saturday.

Mark