PDA

View Full Version : What is Ambrosia Maple?

Jerry Marcantel
06-13-2012, 9:52 PM
A couple weeks ago I posted a bowl made from a mystery tree I got in Missouri, but no one here could ID the wood. Since then, I've been looking and today I saw on WOW that someone had posted a family of turnings from Ambrosia maple. Some of this wood I have has the same staining that these Ambrosia Maple turnings have..... So, I'm trying to find out if Ambrosia Maple gets it's name because of the beetle stains or is it an actual tree name???? ......... Jerry (in Tucson)

charlie knighton
06-13-2012, 10:14 PM
Jerry, its from the beetle stains, if you get by here with a chainsaw, i got a whole tree of ambrosia maple, only thing is there is another tree on top of it, the diameter must be 20 plus inches, having a hard time with my electric chain saw

anybody else needs some, pm me, i would be happy to have someone have some

ROBERT ELLIS
06-13-2012, 10:34 PM
I make and sell a lot of items that has the "Ambrosia" markings in the wood. Basically it's an Ambrosia Beetle & fungus thats doing the artwork. The tree can be almost any tree as long as it is dying, decaying and/or has a high moisture content. Generally here in Kentucky most of it is seen in soft maple (red & white), sometimes in hard maple. Interestingly the beetle does not eat the tree but uses the canals it creates to form sortof a fungus garden and as I understand it's the fungus that creates the long, several colored streaks that woodworkers (and the public) love to see...The loggers and sawmills here in Ky refer to it as wormy maple; which most of them process it into pallet stock.

Robert

Sean Hughto
06-13-2012, 10:37 PM
Here's one I made in ambrosia maple. Some have more or less of the stains.

http://farm5.staticflickr.com/4012/4654082879_59ed60fbb2_b.jpg

Dan Hintz
06-14-2012, 8:24 PM
Charlie,

Maybe sometime I can head down your way with my Husky and help you with that tree. Amy has been after me to turn a sink bowl for the downstairs bathroom, and ambrosia Maple was her wood of choice... I no longer have blanks that size that aren't cracked through the middle :(

Thom Sturgill
06-14-2012, 8:33 PM
The Ambrosia beetle (named for the fungus it farms) has made its way to Florida and is attacking Redbud and Avacodo trees. It kills the Redbud, but on the Avacodo they can cut out the affected parts and save part of the tree, but is still a problem for the groves. I have not seen the stained wood, but would assume it looks similar. Apparently the maple has adapted and is somewhat able to withstand the infection.

Mike Cruz
06-14-2012, 9:02 PM
Jerry, to answer your question, Ambrosia Maple is Maple that has been "affected" by the Ambrosia Beetle. The beetle bores into the tree (the 3 linear holes are a tell tale sign). It poops in the tree, which leads to a fungus growing. The beetle then eats the fungus. I'm not 100% which leaves the streaks...the fungus or the poop, but I'm pretty sure it is the fungus.

That said, I'm not sure what other trees the AB will bore into and "affect". But I think box elder is one, and from what Thom is saying, it looks like there are others.

Jerry Marcantel
06-14-2012, 9:57 PM
Thanks for the replies. I think I'm going to go out on a limb and state that that tree I got in Missouri is Maple with a lot of spalting and burl....... ..... Jerry (in Tucson)

Mike Peace
06-15-2012, 1:30 PM
I have seen the ambrosia beetle attack dogwood but do not think it is real common.

Mike Cruz
06-15-2012, 1:58 PM
That must have been exciting!!! :D

Mike, I can't imagine that they would be very successful. Dogwood is hard!

David DeCristoforo
06-15-2012, 2:04 PM
Here's a picture of the lovely little fellow....

Mike Cruz
06-15-2012, 2:54 PM
Funny...with all the ambrosia maple I have around here, I don't recall ever seeing that bugger. I'll have to go look up what the larva looks like.

Paul Saffold
06-15-2012, 3:28 PM
So is this basically spalted wood with the fungus introduced by a beetle into a living tree rather than the fungus growing in dead trees?
Thanks, Paul

Mike Cruz
06-15-2012, 4:25 PM
I am not an arborist, but I would say yes, except I don't know/think it is a spalt per se. But yes, it is introduced into a living tree and does it's thing. I do not believe that it harms the tree, but I could be mistaken. All the AM I've gotten was from trees that came down from storm damage, not from trees that have died standing. And come to think of it, of the maple trees that I've taken as firewood (died standing), none have had ambrosia...

Thomas Bennett
06-15-2012, 9:46 PM
A couple of 15-17 inch platters with a heavy Ambrosia pattern. You can see the tell-tale 3 linear holes that Mike Cruz mentioned. I do not understand why they make the three hole pattern.

Mike Cruz
06-15-2012, 10:17 PM
That's a beautiful example (and a beautiful bowl/platter...or is that two?...either way!), Thomas.

Dan Hintz
06-18-2012, 7:22 PM
Here's a picture of the lovely little fellow....

Funny...with all the ambrosia maple I have around here, I don't recall ever seeing that bugger.

The Ambrosia Beetle is not a single bug, it describes a wide range of beetles, so it doesn't surprise me that you haven't seen the one David posted... they all have similar boring/nesting behavior, so they all tend to have the same affect on the trees.

Peter Elliott
06-19-2012, 9:37 AM
The Ambrosia Beetle is not a single bug, it describes a wide range of beetles, so it doesn't surprise me that you haven't seen the one David posted... they all have similar boring/nesting behavior, so they all tend to have the same affect on the trees.

Dan, did you stay in another Holiday Inn Express last night?

I think we should put little GPS collars on them so we know what tree is next on Mike's lot..:p

Mike Cruz
06-19-2012, 11:14 AM
Nice new avatar, Peter.