PDA

View Full Version : Padauk and Maple flat grain box....

Michael Stafford
04-04-2005, 3:01 PM
Here is something a little different. This is a flat grain box turned from padauk with a curly maple lid and padauk handle. The box is 5 1/4" in diameter and 2 3/4" tall.

These are fun to turn and are much easier than end grain boxes.

Thanks for looking...

John Hart
04-04-2005, 3:43 PM
That is really cool Mike. And I think the colors are great. What did you finish that with?...My padauk has never turned out that rich.

Thanks

Ernie Nyvall
04-04-2005, 6:00 PM
That is a nice combination and finish.

Ernie

Mark Singer
04-04-2005, 6:12 PM
Another beauty! I love your original designs

Michael Stafford
04-04-2005, 9:11 PM
That is really cool Mike. And I think the colors are great. What did you finish that with?...My padauk has never turned out that rich.

Thanks

Thanks for the positive feedback, John and everyone! It is much appreciated.

John, I use a home brew of one part each of BLO, tung oil and varnish thinned with 2 parts mineral spirits. I mix it up in small batches usually measured in teaspoons or tablespoons depending on the size of the project. On a lathe project I brush it on and let it soak in and then wipe it off with paper towels. Then I buff it dry with fine cheesecloth. Repeat until you get the buildup you like which is usually around 5 coats. Let it dry completely and then buff it with some fine non abrasive pads and then use some felt. I like the nice smooth feel you get from it.

Glenn Hodges
04-04-2005, 9:13 PM
The contrasting colors are eye pleasing as well as the form, nice job.

John Hart
04-04-2005, 9:26 PM
Thanks for the recipe Mike. I'll try it on my next project. Very nice.

Don Henthorn Smithville, TX
04-04-2005, 9:43 PM
The two woods really go well together. That will make a great gift.

Jeff Sudmeier
04-05-2005, 8:22 AM
Mike,

That box really looks great. I love the two woods together!