PDA

View Full Version : Epilog...magnets on the front door

brian fithian
06-13-2012, 2:46 PM
i have some cabinet doors to engrave on but they wont fit in my mini-24. I have heard of putting a magnet on the front door...Where exactly do i put them?

Glen Monaghan
06-13-2012, 3:05 PM
AFAIK, the only magnets are on the lid, two along the right edge on the mini-24.

If by "front door" you mean the screwed-on front panel/grill/grating, I'm pretty sure that there is no interlock there and you can operate the machine with that removed. However, if you do, then anyone in the room should wear glasses or safety goggles.

Also, be aware that the front panel is an integral part of the exhaust system. Your exhaust fan pulls air out the back of the machine, which is replaced mainly by air sucked in through that front panel's vent slots. There is a baffle behind those vent slots to direct air up to the top of the panel and then across the work area to help efficiently/effectively clear any smoke, dust, and debris from the area being lasered. If you simply remove the front panel and stick an oversized object in there, you probably should give some consideration to how you can restore/maintain the original air flow pattern.

-Glen

Tim Bateson
06-13-2012, 3:29 PM
...If by "front door" you mean the screwed-on front panel/grill/grating, I'm pretty sure that there is no interlock there and you can operate the machine with that removed. However, if you do, then anyone in the room should wear glasses or safety goggles.

Also, be aware that the front panel is an integral part of the exhaust system. Your exhaust fan pulls air out the back of the machine, which is replaced mainly by air sucked in through that front panel's vent slots. There is a baffle behind those vent slots to direct air up to the top of the panel and then across the work area to help efficiently/effectively clear any smoke, dust, and debris from the area being lasered. If you simply remove the front panel and stick an oversized object in there, you probably should give some consideration to how you can restore/maintain the original air flow pattern...

I do this with ball bats all of the time. Technically you are correct, but the truth is the exhaust isn't greatly effected without this panel. No need for safety glasses either - nothing to fly out of there - if there were it would be at belt level. I think the newer models do have a magnet on the front panel. Just place another sturdy magnet over it and it'll work like a charm.

The biggest challenges are to #1 Properly supporting the section hanging out & #2 to properly place the piece if you need to laser, move piece and laser again.

Craig Matheny
06-13-2012, 7:32 PM
I do this with ball bats all of the time. Technically you are correct, but the truth is the exhaust isn't greatly effected without this panel. No need for safety glasses either - nothing to fly out of there - if there were it would be at belt level. I think the newer models do have a magnet on the front panel. Just place another sturdy magnet over it and it'll work like a charm.

The biggest challenges are to #1 Properly supporting the section hanging out & #2 to properly place the piece if you need to laser, move piece and laser again.

Tim I am not sure what year your Epilog is but mine is a 2007 and has interlocks on the front door they are very easy to by pass I just used Hard Drive pin jumpers i the connector no more interlock. With that said regarding the exhaust that is an easy fix also cut a piece of card board to fit around the majority of the item your engraving and the suction is back

Real Mercier
06-13-2012, 10:39 PM
I have a 2008 Mini 24. Just look where the magnets are on the door and you will see where the magnets should be placed.

Real Mercier