PDA

View Full Version : Monster laser replacement

Bill Hensley
06-13-2012, 1:52 PM
My laser crapped out yesterday and haven't been able to get in touch with them yet about a replacement.

Anybody replaced their laser with one from another source?

I'm laser dependent so I would like to fix the problem ASAP.

Nope, it's not the batteries. The problem is in the module.

Tim Rinehart
06-13-2012, 1:55 PM
Bill, you can get a laser diode in various configs from various sources. I bought mine from Digikey, VLM-650-03-LPT-ND (~$ 9.00)

Bill Hensley
06-13-2012, 7:07 PM
Thanks Tim, I've placed an order

Tim Rinehart
06-14-2012, 8:24 AM
Just a little suggestion to anyone who uses these laser diodes. And I believe it was DD who made first mention of potting the ends of these for a loose connection on his laser setup.

Alot of these laser diodes, incl the one I referenced, have an open end to the casing they are housed in that contains the little circuit board and leads come off those to the power source. These leads can get too much stress right at point of connection to the board, but if you pot (electrical term for filling an electrical cavity) just the end of the diode where those leads come out (I used 5 min epoxy), it helps strengthen the connection. You don't want to allow too much epoxy where it can run down and over the lens or diode itself, just the very end. I let my epoxy setup a few minutes and apply just before it becomes unworkable to make sure it doesn't flow too much.
It has another benefit in that sawdust and other debris isn't as likely to work its way down from the top, which was a problem I had with my first laser installed. YMMV

Ed Morgano
06-14-2012, 2:13 PM
Bill,
I too ended up with the Digikey diode and also had trouble with it going out. After the 3rd replacement, I ended up buying some laser pens from Amazon.com for 1.56 ea. I bought 6 of them and so far haven't had the first problem with the first one so I have 5 replacements - all for 9.36 + shipping. I just checked and they are now 2.06 ea. http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0049MCNMI/ref=pe_175190_21431760_A1_cs_sce_3p_dp_1. Hope this helps.

Tim Rinehart
06-14-2012, 2:47 PM
that's a great deal on the laser pen...fine alternative.
Just curious...as I've been using my digikey diode for several years now and no problem, was it because of the connection to board coming loose or something else failing?
Regardless..the pen is a pretty simply solution. I'll have to save that link.

Jim Burr
06-14-2012, 3:39 PM
Tim, can you post a picture...I'm visually dependent:(:o

Ed Morgano
06-14-2012, 11:26 PM
that's a great deal on the laser pen...fine alternative.
Just curious...as I've been using my digikey diode for several years now and no problem, was it because of the connection to board coming loose or something else failing?
Regardless..the pen is a pretty simply solution. I'll have to save that link.

Tim,
I'm not sure exactly what the problem was. The first laser lasted for a couple of months. Then, the beam started going dim. I could bump it and it would go bright again but as soon as I started cutting, it would go dim again. Never actually went out. I changed the batteries and than didn't help. I had ordered two, so I changed it out. The second one lasted for a shorter time. In the mean time, I had ordered two more. After I changed to the third one, I contacted digikey and told them that I was using this in an application with a lot of vibration and asked if they had a better alternative. The customer service rep got back to me with an alternative diod. Only problem was that it cost 52.00 with no guarantee. That's when I decided to try the laser pens.

Mike Peace
06-15-2012, 1:34 PM
Glad to hear about that laser on Amazon works for you. I was looking on eBay the other day and there were a lot of sellers with that model so I wondered how well it works.

David DeCristoforo
06-15-2012, 1:53 PM
You should also check the battery box and switch. I hate to be critical of the Monster rig in any way because it is a great rig. But the laser setup bites, at least as far as the electrical part goes. It's not just the diode but the cheap piece of crap battery box/switch. That can be the cause of the problem when the laser does not light and it's easy to assume the problem lies with the diode. I ended up buying a small "project box" from Radio Shack along with a battery holder and a single pole switch. The whole assembly is about three times the size of the battery box provided with the Monster rig but it's a million times more reliable. That, along with the "potting" of the laser diode connections, has eliminated my laser troubles.

Mike Goetzke
06-15-2012, 2:06 PM
I'm a turning newbie - this thread has peaked my curiosity on the use of a laser light for controlling wall thickness. I think I have an idea how this would work but could someone post pictures or links to an application of this device?

Thanks,

Mike

David DeCristoforo
06-15-2012, 2:10 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKcpSTpa7Lc

One of many...

Bill Hensley
06-16-2012, 7:15 AM
I thought I would share a little more info on this problem. I determined the problem was in the laser module initially because it worked intermittently if I wiggled the wires at the module. I had already tried different batteries and wiggled the wires at the battery housing so that ruled out problems on that end. I removed and opened the laser diode module and found a wire had come loose. You would think you could simply resolder the connection but once I saw how small everything is inside the module (~ 1/4" x 1/4" circuit card with 5 leads attached) I realized repair is futile. Besides it wasn't even obvious where the wire should be reattached.

Tim and David make very worthwhile recommendations. The wires need to be potted and the whole setup design is an improvement opportunity. Which I plan to do as soon as my replacements get here.

Mike Goetzke
06-16-2012, 9:14 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKcpSTpa7Lc

One of many...

Thanks - now that is cool!

Ron Borowicz
12-13-2016, 8:29 AM
Bill,
I too ended up with the Digikey diode and also had trouble with it going out. After the 3rd replacement, I ended up buying some laser pens from Amazon.com for 1.56 ea. I bought 6 of them and so far haven't had the first problem with the first one so I have 5 replacements - all for 9.36 + shipping. I just checked and they are now 2.06 ea. http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0049MCNMI/ref=pe_175190_21431760_A1_cs_sce_3p_dp_1. Hope this helps.

Hi Ed,
I have had the monster hollowing system w/laser for a couple of years and am having problems with the laser not working. Your 6/14/2012 post indicated you purchased a laser pen from Amazon.com. The link on that post is no longer valid. I am wondering: 1) are you still using the laser pen on the Monster system and are you happy with it? 2) can you provide me with any info off of the pen you are using so I can find it.

Thanks,
Ron Borowicz

John Keeton
12-13-2016, 9:18 AM
Ron, this thread is four years old and I don't think Ed is active on the creek.

Peter Fabricius
12-13-2016, 12:01 PM
Hi Mike,
I see this thread is a few years old but here are three pics of how I use my Monster Laser.
1. and 2. Made a little bracket for the laser to fit on the McNaughton coring handle. I used this last week and WOW it works perfectly to STEER the cutting tip and prevent making a funnel.

3. Showing the laser dot on the hollowing set up. Note: I work in a very tight corner with the Nova DVR XP on a shelf close to the wall. I do not have enough room for the full length laser arm to swing into the wall. So, I repositioned the laser diode half way along the arm by drilling a hole to accept it, with a set screw. To get a nice small dot I made sure the actual hole for the light to show through is the same as the original one at the end of the arm. You can see the dot on the cutter tip.

The Laser is fantastic. Some owners complain about the battery box letting the battery get loose. The solution was to tape a small piece of cardboard inside the box cover to keep the battery pressed in place.
I hope that is helpful, just ask if you need more info.
Peter F

the pictures loaded in reverse order but you get the point, I am sure.

Ron Borowicz
12-13-2016, 12:25 PM
Thanks Peter, interesting how you have adapted the Monster to the McNaughton. I have the McNaughton laser accessory. The thing about coring on my lathe is that there is so much vibration that it makes the laser useless while actually coring. I use the laser to see "where I am" when I stop the lathe, turn on the laser and re-insert the blade. Thanks.