PDA

View Full Version : Cedar Adirondack Chairs

Greg Cuetara
06-13-2012, 1:05 PM
My folks had an old white cedar deck that they were replacing so I cut up all the boards and culled out the decent pieces and planed them down, got rid of the old stain etc. and have built a few adirondack chairs and loveseat.

this is a chair that I built for my son at 2/3's the full size of the NYWS plans.

I am trying to figure out if or what I should do for a finish. I have read a few things on here where you shouldn't do any finish at all. I have a gallon of semi-transparent wood stain that i was thinking of spraying on just to give it something but I could leave it as is.

I am planning on bringing these in during the winter time so they will only be outside during the spring / summer and fall.

Thanks,
Greg

Todd Burch
06-13-2012, 1:32 PM
Call me lazy - no finish. ;)

Ron Jones near Indy
06-13-2012, 2:53 PM
I agree--no finish. Let it weather naturally.

trevor adair
06-13-2012, 3:31 PM
+1 on no finish.. not because I'm lazy (but I am) because I really prefer the natural weathered. Did 2 Adirondack chairs and table 2 years ago and they are taking on a nice patina.. + no maintenance every cpl years :)

Jim Becker
06-16-2012, 9:33 PM
No finish on these. If you feel you must, something penetrating, like Penofin would be my choice.

Bob Wingard
06-16-2012, 9:50 PM
Beat me to it ... PENOFIN will give you protection, with or without coloring the wood, depending on which color # you get.