PDA

View Full Version : First (successful) Natural Edge Bowl

Dave Haughs
06-13-2012, 7:36 AM
Many mistakes made but I'm very happy with the results. Pin Oak

John Keeton
06-13-2012, 8:53 AM
A challenging piece, given the steep sides - I would say you were quite successful!!

Roger Chandler
06-13-2012, 8:54 AM
Pin oak can be a bear to turn.........you did good on this one, especially with the curve on the side being so steep.

Tim Rinehart
06-13-2012, 9:06 AM
+1 on what John and Roger said...well done!

Dave Haughs
06-13-2012, 9:11 AM
I didn't expect pin oak to be so tough on me and my tools :). Plus I am out of practice as turning time is few and far between for me these days. I had to stabilize the bark in a few places and I had a real hard time (its still not perfect) getting it smooth with the way the grain is. you can still feel it's a bit lower where the grain is, I suspect because that area is softer and cuts/sands easier. But it was fun and I learned a lot, including how difficult it is to chuck up a natural edge bowl in cole jaws to finish the bottom. Next time I'll plan ahead and maybe do the bottom first :cool:. Anyway, I am sure the recipient will love it and not notice the "flaws".

I'm VERY happy with how it turned out for my first "successful" natural edge bowl. I'm stoked to try it again with a couple other blanks I have.

John Keeton
06-13-2012, 9:35 AM
Dave, on the next one, use a jam chuck (pressure against the inside bottom and tailstock pressure on the outside) to finish off the bottom - much easier!

Dave Haughs
06-13-2012, 9:43 AM
Dave, on the next one, use a jam chuck (pressure against the inside bottom and tailstock pressure on the outside) to finish off the bottom - much easier!

I thought about that after the fact. I sort of did that withe cole jaws and the tailstock but it wasn't perfect and meant I couldn't put too much pressure on it. I'll make up a decent jam chuck before I turn the next one. Thanks for the tip!

Bernie Weishapl
06-13-2012, 10:33 AM
Nice looking first NE. I have to agree with John and Roger.

Steve Schlumpf
06-13-2012, 10:40 AM
Congrats on your first NE! I am sure the recipient will love it! Looking forward to seeing your next one!!

Thomas Heck
06-13-2012, 11:03 AM
Nice job! Looks good.