PDA

View Full Version : Need some input

Kathy Marshall
06-13-2012, 3:40 AM
I've beent trying to come up with some sort of base for a round bottomed, ne bowl thing I posted awhile ago. During the long 12 hour drive home from San Jose, I had plenty of time to think of some ideas and I came up with a thought that I think might work.
Tonight I tried to put that thought into action. What I turned was not quite what I had in mind, but it's on the right track. So I'm looking for some suggestions to improve the form.
Here are a few things that I think might improve it:
Use a bigger blank to get a little more height and more heartwood. I'd still like some sapwood as an accent, just not so much.
With the added height, get a little more curve in the profile and more uniformity in the thickness so that the arches are higher and the legs are more like legs.
I'd like the cup on the top to be a smaller diameter, but I used a recess there to turn the bottom and needed enough wood around the rim so it wouldn't break out.
The "feet" need to be narrower, but should they be pointed or rounded? One of them had a bit of chip out so I lost the points after cleaning that up.

Those are just a few thoughts, I'm sure there are more, other improvements that can be made, so just have at it!

Philip Duffy
06-13-2012, 5:24 AM
Why not place it on top of a block of contrasting wood, ie, painted black xxxxx. Philip

John Keeton
06-13-2012, 6:01 AM
Kathy, my honest opinion on this is too many competing elements - the opposing curves, the sapwood that is OK from one view, but not at 90*, and the mass or weight of the whole base.

Were it me, and it isn't, I would prefer all heartwood (or black as suggested), with a continuation of the curve coming off the base and then flaring out, and with less size overall so as to not detract from the bowl.

Just my thoughts.

Roger Chandler
06-13-2012, 6:05 AM
Kathy..........I think some refinement in the base you did perhaps not squared, but round would be good, and I agree with Philip..........an ebonized base would set the turning off better than one with sapwood in it, or perhaps one with only the heartwood as that looks to be mesquite .........if you have a piece large enough [from the pics of your wood pile, that should not be a problem for you!

Faust M. Ruggiero
06-13-2012, 7:56 AM
Kathy,
Lose the base all together. If you have some meat in the bottom of the bowl carve 3 small feet that follow the present curve while relieving the area inside the feet to a shape that continues the round. If you are really set on a holder, cantilever one from the side so it doesn't compete with the bowl itself. I had been finding myself in these predicaments when I designed the form on the lathe. I no longer try to do that with anything unusual like your shape. I've been working the design out on paper ahead of time.
faust

Fred Belknap
06-13-2012, 8:08 AM
Kathy a short standard pedestal out of heart wood about a third of the bowl height. I think I would rough it out on paper to get an idea what you want.

Tim Rinehart
06-13-2012, 9:13 AM
Good suggestions from both Philip and John. You really want to make sure the base doesn't compete, (unless intending to be a strong focal point). At the most recent NC Symposium, I attended a demo/discussion by Marilyn Campbell on nothing but the evolution of her bases for the work she does. It's a real knack to do bases well, which is why most of don't do it more.

I think something simple in black would be a good start, and easy enough to play with scrap before committing. Look forward to seeing what you do...I like the NE vessel by the way, some beautiful heart/sap wood play.

Scott Hackler
06-13-2012, 9:45 AM
I'm with John on the elements competing with each other...BUT. I wonder how a round base with no natural edge would look. I also think the shape of the base needs to be explored a bit. Maybe a cove shape, with a bit of a flare at the top to "lift" the bowl. Dunno for sure. I really like the bowl and like the thoughts behind this idea.

Dennis Ford
06-13-2012, 12:44 PM
I agree that this base competes with the form. The suggestion of an all dark base is good. You might consider removing some of the base sides (band-saw?) so that the sides are concave when viewed from the top.