PDA

View Full Version : Electrical question ..

Rick Fisher
06-13-2012, 2:03 AM
I have a Tec Cable coming off a panel, and wanted to know if it reasonable to simply wire an extention cord style plug to the end of the cable ..

Normally it would go to a box and receptacle and another extention cord would plug into it .. Its obviously surface mounted..

So rather than a surface mounted box, is it a bad idea to just put a " plug in style " receptacle on the end of the wire ?

( I have not done it .. it seemed odd )

Edit.. " Tec " cable is armor cable or " Romex " cable .. Steel wrapped wire.. Tec has a plastic sheath covering it .. Occurred to me that " Tec " may be a Canuck saying .. as " Romex " seems to be a US name for Armor Cable up here... .

Basically I have 2 machines wired directly to the panel.. no plugs.. The " Tec " or " Romex " is clamped to the wall all the way to the panel. Its all done by a sparkie..

In this case, the Romex or Tec is clamped to the wall to where the third machine is, but I want to interrupt it with a plug, so the machine can be unplugged and moved easily.. The machine is in front of the DC .. Its on wheels.. If I install a plug, I can unplug it and move it to get at the DC ..

So its sheathed Armor cable leaving a panel. Its kinda flexible, but not really.. Can I put a plug type receptacle on the end of it ?

Ryan Wood
06-13-2012, 7:13 AM
I have never heard of anyone putting a plug like the one on an extension cord on the end of romex. I personaly would not do that.

Charles Lent
06-13-2012, 8:36 AM
Old Romex cable has a fabric braid covering over rubber or thermoplastic covered solid conductors. BX cable has a spiral wrapped galvanized steel armor wrapped around rubber or thermoplastic covered solid conductors. Neither one is intended for flexible cable use (solid conductors) and should never be used where frequent movement will exist. They are both intended to be used for structural wiring. Do not put a plug on the end of it. If you need to move a machine frequently it should have a cable that is designed for this like type SOOW, which is designed for this purpose. Since you are asking these questions, you do not have the training to do this change safely. Find an electrical professional to make the changes.

Charley

Rod Sheridan
06-13-2012, 11:13 AM
No, you cannot put a connector body on the end of the TECK cable Rick, as you indicated you'll need to go to a box and then put the connector body on the end of a piece of flexible cord...........Regards, Rod.

Rick Fisher
06-13-2012, 1:32 PM
Thanks..

I knew it was a pointy headed idea.. lol

Gonna grab the appropriate parts this morning ..

Jeff Duncan
06-13-2012, 6:29 PM
Well sounds like your already headed in the right direction. I think your much better off with the box as it will easier and probably even cheaper in the long run! The plugs and receptacles for use on cables are pretty darned expensive compared to a simple steel box and receptacle. I have several of them in my shop hanging from the ceiling, (mostly for feeders), and they add up!

FWIW I only hard wire the really big machines in my shop that cannot be moved....widebelt sander, cyclone etc. and they have disconnects. Almost all my smaller equipment is on plugs in order to allow easy servicing and even swapping out if needed.

good luck,
jeffD

Rick Fisher
06-13-2012, 10:44 PM
I was being cheap .. The only machines I have hardwired are the Jointer and Wide Belt. This tool is another sander which is 1100 lbs.. I need it one wheels.

Picked up a plug and receptacle... $ 58.00 .. Box, box connectors, plate.. 12/4 SOW for the actual tool cord.. Call it $110.00 .. Better safe than cheap..

Mike Heidrick
06-14-2012, 12:09 AM
Should be awesome Rick.

Thanks for teh pictures today of your panels.

Rick Fisher
06-14-2012, 2:00 AM
No prob Mike ..

I hope it was you who asked a few weeks ago.. lol Your doing the CNC thing right .. ?

Mike Heidrick
06-14-2012, 10:51 AM
Yep - vac clamping for CNC

Jim Neeley
07-09-2012, 4:28 PM
You wouldn't want to put one there anyway. Romex is solid conductor wire, which is ideal for in-wall wiring where it doesn't have to flex once it's installed and t erminated but is subject to fatigue and breaking when installed "free" from rigid support.