PDA

View Full Version : Clay flower pot smoker

Dave Lehnert
06-13-2012, 12:14 AM
Ran across this tonight. Looks like a good conversation item for a cookout. A smoker made out of two clay pots.
Anyone make one?
What do you backyard meat smokers think of the idea in general?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Ka2kpzTAL8

daniel lane
06-13-2012, 1:46 AM
I lived in Atlanta when AB was doing those shows - we shopped at the same stores. I build one of those and have been using it for years! I lived in a high rise downtown and fires were verboten, so I used the non-fire smoker to do my brisket and pork butts. Drove the neighbors crazy! I can definitely say that it works well, but I caution against putting too many wood chips in the bowl, it really IS possible to over-smoke something.

Also, I was in an engineering grad school program at the time so I used spare parts to build a digital temperature controller that used a thermocouple to maintain temperature. MUCH easier to use, it would automatically shut off the burner to maintain a nice steady temperature. It's not that expensive to do, if you decide to go that route, you should look into it - makes the whole barbecue thing a science, not an art! :D

daniel

John Shuk
06-13-2012, 8:35 AM
Who is Clay Flower?

Don Orr
06-13-2012, 3:56 PM
Who is Clay Flower?

Yeah, and why are you calling him a pot smoker?

ray hampton
06-13-2012, 5:22 PM
Yeah, and why are you calling him a pot smoker?

Is he a pot smoker or smoker of pot ?

Ron Natalie
06-13-2012, 6:11 PM
I saw that Alton Brown episode and the general sentiment of most people who've tried it is that it's not really the greatest smoker. It's not hard to make a smoker but that one is sort of silly.
For small runs I use my GRILL DOME which is a much more elaborate flower pot. As smokers go, it's conical base means I can load it up with charcoal and set it off and let it burn 16 hours without restoking. If you're willing to tinker with it, just about any fire box that can direct 225 degrees of heat and some smoke into a chamber will work. I've seen smokers built out of everything from old refrigerators to just plywood...

Google "plywood smoker", you'll get things that are as easy to build as Alton's pots and hold a lot more meat in easier to deal with configurations.

Dave Lehnert
06-13-2012, 10:37 PM
I saw that Alton Brown episode and the general sentiment of most people who've tried it is that it's not really the greatest smoker. It's not hard to make a smoker but that one is sort of silly.
For small runs I use my GRILL DOME which is a much more elaborate flower pot. As smokers go, it's conical base means I can load it up with charcoal and set it off and let it burn 16 hours without restoking. If you're willing to tinker with it, just about any fire box that can direct 225 degrees of heat and some smoke into a chamber will work. I've seen smokers built out of everything from old refrigerators to just plywood...

Google "plywood smoker", you'll get things that are as easy to build as Alton's pots and hold a lot more meat in easier to deal with configurations.

But does it have the cool factor? :cool:

Thanks, I will check it out.
Would plywood (The glue)be safe to use for a smoker?