PDA

View Full Version : What are the main differences between Shenui and G.Wieke

Phil Horne
06-12-2012, 10:10 PM
Im seriously considering buying a few more lasers even though my G.Weike 1290 hasnt even been delivered yet (it just came off the ship today so it should be here in a day or two!) but I wanted to know if any of you fine folks have worked with both and had any input as to which is of higher quality and if there are major usability differences. One thing that has me a little worried about the Shenui lasers is the pictures of there rotary atachement on there website.. It looks like a pretty piece of machinery where as the two types from GW look pretty nice and functional for the type of work Ill be needing to do.

Thanks
Phil

Rodne Gold
06-13-2012, 1:39 AM
There is very little difference, all chinese laser "manufacturers" are really assemblers and chassis welders, the care and attention to detail when doing so and to some extent , what parts/software they choose is the determinant. Both the rotaries from Shenhui (flat and lathe type one) work well , we have finally tried both. they cost me under $300 for BOTH...hardly a fortune... they are well manufactured for the price.
I would tend to stick to one mnfgr due to software , the 2 companies use different software (and different motherboards and lcd panels) and thus if you get a shenui laser , you will need to learn both systems and work around their foibles..... (lasercut and laserworks , similar but not the same)
i went to the Shenui factory last year and was very impressed , its a massive enterprise , not a garden shed. I have had excellent service from them , parts and software support...but your mileage may vary.
I would wait till you get your machine up and running before committing to any other lasers...

James Tan
06-13-2012, 2:46 AM
There is very little difference, all chinese laser "manufacturers" are really assemblers and chassis welders, the care and attention to detail when doing so and to some extent , what parts/software they choose is the determinant. Both the rotaries from Shenhui (flat and lathe type one) work well , we have finally tried both. they cost me under $300 for BOTH...hardly a fortune... they are well manufactured for the price.
I would tend to stick to one mnfgr due to software , the 2 companies use different software (and different motherboards and lcd panels) and thus if you get a shenui laser , you will need to learn both systems and work around their foibles..... (lasercut and laserworks , similar but not the same)
i went to the Shenui factory last year and was very impressed , its a massive enterprise , not a garden shed. I have had excellent service from them , parts and software support...but your mileage may vary.
I would wait till you get your machine up and running before committing to any other lasers...

Wow $300 for both rotaries is a good price, i was quoted close to $300 for only one of them.
Which one uses lasercut?

Rodne Gold
06-13-2012, 9:43 AM
Shenui uses laserworks , along with a RDLC320 control board...I am not 100% sure , but I think the G Weike uses a leetro board and lasercut 5.3...
Rotaries were $180 odd and $140 odd , just over $300. Rotaries for lasers are nice , but not essential , we have 8 lasers , 6 of em GCC's and only one GCC rotary - very seldom used. I am a general trophy/jobshop , so woulda thought we would have used em more (same with pass thru/stamp mode/3d - almost never used)
The Shenui rotary is way better to use than my GCC one - it at least has a lathe type chuck. Yeh , the shenui rotary is not the prettiest .. its not shoddily made tho. It is not actually made by Shenui themselves , there must be some big factory in China that only do rotary attachments

Phil Horne
06-13-2012, 1:03 PM
I dont think either of those rotary attachments will work for a majority of the type's of things I need to engrave initially. These are the Rotaries I got from GW.
The first one looks like the one you have and I know Ill find all kinds of stuff to do with it but Im not sure it will do the small diameter tubes I need to engrave on a regular basis which is why I also go the second type.

Here are a few of the things I have already engraved with the second type of rotary on an epilog helix 60watt. The epilog has been very frustrating to work with to say the least.

Glen Monaghan
06-13-2012, 2:20 PM
The chuck-type rotary will likely be your best bet for small diameter tubes because the (presumably light weight) tubes probably will be prone to slipping on rollers but can be fastened securely in the chuck. As for the Shenhui roller-type, it looks to me like the middle roller is used either with the closer roller are for narrow round objects or with the farther away roller for wider round objects. Rather than using rubber rings on wheels at each end (akin to Epilog or your G. Wieke versions), the Shenui version knurls the entire length of the metal rollers. Whether knurled metal or rubber rings provides a more secure grip depends on the items you are rotating. Also, since the entire length of the rollers is available at all times, there's no adjustment required for longer or shorter items.

Many people have complained about and come up with work-arounds to deal with light objects such as glass goblets that tend to slip on rollers. With a chuck, the item is either gripped securely in the chuck jaws or wedged tightly between a chucked cone and a tailstock fixture so that the item can't slip. With tapered items, one end of the chuck-style rotary will have to be propped up to level the top edge (side) of the item for proper focus along the entire length to be engraved.

-Glen

matthew knott
06-13-2012, 2:28 PM
The first type of rotary will be much better for the smaller diameter items you have, we have a epilog and really dont get on that well with its rotary (the second type) The 3 jaw chuck holds items really well and the part cant slip on the rollers. If you dont mind me asking, what sort of price does the 1290 set you back? Also if you find your doing lots of small parts (like on your webiste) and you have the budget it might be worth looking at a low power fiber laser as i think you would get a better faster result (thats what we use to do that type of work) just something to think about.

Matt

I dont think either of those rotary attachments will work for a majority of the type's of things I need to engrave initially. These are the Rotaries I got from GW.
The first one looks like the one you have and I know Ill find all kinds of stuff to do with it but Im not sure it will do the small diameter tubes I need to engrave on a regular basis which is why I also go the second type.

Here are a few of the things I have already engraved with the second type of rotary on an epilog helix 60watt. The epilog has been very frustrating to work with to say the least.

Phil Horne
06-13-2012, 2:45 PM
For some reason I was under the impression that the chuck style rotary wouldnt do small items like pens and stuff because of the potential for the laser head crashing into the chuck?? If that isnt the case then Im glad I decided to throw one on my order!!! My laser is supposed to be showing up tomorrow or Friday!!! Im excited to say the least!

On a side note, Im also looking for a decent 3 in 1 Mill, Drill and lathe with at least a DRO if not CNC with manual controls.. I dont need anything massive and would be ok with getting seperate Does anyone have any suggestions on a company to get a hold of in China??

Phil

Glen Monaghan
06-13-2012, 2:51 PM
Hitting the chuck is a possibility that must be considered before lasering any item. It's of greatest concern when the item is short and/or you are engraving near the end(s) of the item. The problem is most prevalent when the engraved item's diameter is significantly smaller then the chuck diameter. You have to plan ahead and, if there isn't sufficient clearance for the head to accelerate/decelerate past the ends of the engraved area without hitting the chuck or tailstock, then you need to use some sort of mandrel or fixture to both securely hold the item and provide necessary end clearance.

-Glen

Phil Horne
06-13-2012, 3:11 PM
Thanks Glen for your reply.. I think one of the other concerns is that Im not sure i can get the head of the laser close enough to the work to focus correctly without using a longer focus lens which will mean loss of detail.. Hopefully Ill be able to figure all this stuff out when my laser gets here.

Phil