PDA

View Full Version : Latest Harpsichord Completed

Ernie Miller
06-12-2012, 2:51 PM
Hi all,

I think I may be getting too old for this. Just completed my latest harpsichord project – a big, double manual instrument sitting on a Louis XVI cabriole table stand. It is a little over 7 feet long by 39 inches wide at the front end. I started building last December and just finished this week – six and a half months of pure fun mixed with mind-numbing repetition. There are three sets of strings (62 strings per set) so everything that has to do with the playing action has to be done 186 times – 186 string loops to hand tie, 186 tuning pins to coil music wire onto, 186 register slots to cut (thank you Alan in Little Washington for your wonderful jig), 186 jacks to install, 186 plectra to voice, etc, etc, - you get the picture.

Here’s a few photos of the completed instrument.

http://www.ncwoodworker.net/pp/data/2512/DOUBLECASE1.jpg

(http://www.ncwoodworker.net/pp/showphoto.php?photo=64970)

(http://www.ncwoodworker.net/pp/showphoto.php?photo=64971)
http://www.ncwoodworker.net/pp/data/2512/DOUBLECASE3.jpg

The strings, jacks, registers, and tuning pins.

http://www.ncwoodworker.net/pp/data/2512/INTERIOR1.jpg

The keyboards

http://www.ncwoodworker.net/pp/data/2512/KEYBOARDS.jpg

(http://www.ncwoodworker.net/pp/showphoto.php?photo=64970)

Here’s a photo of part of my wife Sandy's soundboard painting.

http://www.ncwoodworker.net/pp/data/2512/SOUNDBOARD.jpg

In short, double manual harpsichords are much more interesting to build due to the added complexity of the two keyboards. The upper keyboard slides forward and/or backwards. When pushed forward, it is coupled with the lower keyboard and its keys can be played from the lower keyboard. It looks like a player piano where the keys seem to play themselves. In fact, there are wooden connectors, called dogs, sticking up from the bottom keys. When the upper keyboard is pushed in, the ends of the upper keyboard keys are positioned directly over the dogs. When the bottom keyboard is played, the dogs push up on the underside of the upper keyboard keys to make them play as well. When the upper keyboard is pulled out to its forward position, the dogs miss the bottom of the upper keyboard keys and, therefore, the upper keyboard does not play. Of course each keyboard can be played manually - sometimes with one hand on the lower keyboard and the other hand on the upper. The two keyboards play different sets of strings so they don't have the same tone quality. By having two keyboards and three sets of strings along with a buff stop, there are 9 different tone qualities that can be produced - giving the player much more of a tonal variety than is possible on a single manual harpsichord.

Thanks for looking - I'm going to take a nap.

Ernie

Ari Friedman
06-12-2012, 3:04 PM
That's a really impressive job. Looks like beautiful detail work also, including the painting.

Van Huskey
06-12-2012, 3:05 PM
Stunning, absolutely stunning. Did I mention it is stunning?

Paul Cahill
06-12-2012, 3:08 PM
I cannot imagine what it takes to make something like this. Absolutely gorgeous. I am sure it sounds great too.

Paul

Bill White
06-12-2012, 4:29 PM
Good grief man (and woman). Stunning workmanship to say the least.
Wish I could hear it played. I love the sound.
Very well done sir and lady.
Just the material sourcing alone has to be a challenge.
Bill

Jay Jolliffe
06-12-2012, 4:42 PM
Very impressive....Nice art work also....

Ryan Brucks
06-12-2012, 4:48 PM
thinking about the amount of work that went into this makes my head spin.... wow!! Beautiful.

Jeff Bartley
06-12-2012, 4:56 PM
Wow! Ernie---you and your wife are a talented pair!! Would it be asking too much for you to post a video so we can enjoy the sound as well as the sight?? BRAVO!

Jim Stewart
06-12-2012, 5:03 PM
Just amazing. What artists!

Bruce Page
06-12-2012, 5:08 PM
Another phenomenal work of art, Ernie! How many do you build a year?

Sid Matheny
06-12-2012, 5:53 PM
Holy Cow what a project to take on!!! Just wonderful is all I can say!!!

Sid

frank shic
06-12-2012, 5:58 PM
that is a lifetime masterpiece. thank you for sharing!

Mike Henderson
06-12-2012, 6:05 PM
Wow, that's an impressive accomplishment. Congratulations!

Mike

Larry Browning
06-12-2012, 6:07 PM
You said "Latest". How many of these have you built? That is absolutely off the charts! Only 6 months? That would take me..... well, never.

Incredible!!!!!

Dave Ray
06-12-2012, 6:12 PM
Fantastic piece of work, crosses the line into art. Beautiful. Love the clean, neat shop to.

Ryan Wood
06-12-2012, 6:19 PM
that is amazing work. I can not even come closed to being able to imagen how much work it took to make.

Sam Murdoch
06-12-2012, 6:30 PM
Utterly humbling and so very incredibly impressive. Congratulations to you and the Mrs. for such notable work.

John Coloccia
06-12-2012, 7:15 PM
Shoot. That's all.

Dang.

Jack Wilson50
06-12-2012, 8:15 PM
Absolutely fantastic job. Wow, wow, wow. Beautiful, I could go on and on.

Kevin Bourque
06-12-2012, 8:20 PM
That's a certified masterpiece right there!

Bill ThompsonNM
06-12-2012, 8:38 PM
That's nice, really nice.. hard to imagine the amount of work, but it shows in the results!

Eric DeSilva
06-12-2012, 8:41 PM
Uh... um... I'm speechless. Wonderful.

Ernie Miller
06-12-2012, 9:17 PM
WOW! Thanks to everyone for your kind remarks. Being somewhat introverted, I don't post very often as I seldom feel I have anything of substance to add to the discussions. Thank you for giving me the opportunity to share my passion with you.

Jeff: I don't have a good recording of this instrument yet. I will in the near future and I will post it for those who are interested in hearing this instrument.

Bruce: I usually build two a year. I work seven days a week and am the happiest when I'm working in the shop.

Larry: I've built 30 or 40 so far - I've kind of lost track.

John: Actually I've always wanted to build an acoustic guitar. I recently traded books with Michael Collins. I sent him my book on harpsichord building and he sent me his book "Building a Selmer Maccaferri Guitar". I'm reading his book now, but I'm afraid guitar building may be above my skill level. Maybe someday, when I'm too old to handle these big harpsichords, I'll try it.

Thanks again everyone,
Ernie

George Gyulatyan
06-12-2012, 9:28 PM
Hi Ernie,

Yet another beautiful instrument! Hope it's going to a good home. Well taken care of, it will last for centuries :)

george wilson
06-12-2012, 9:30 PM
Another GREAT instrument,Ernie!!! You should put in many more closeups. Your wife's work looks exquisite,too. I'd like to see it more closeup.

So,are any of the jacks stepped like on some English harpsichords? I never made a French style,and am rusty on the subject in general.

John Coloccia
06-12-2012, 9:30 PM
John: Actually I've always wanted to build an acoustic guitar. I recently traded books with Michael Collins. I sent him my book on harpsichord building and he sent me his book "Building a Selmer Maccaferri Guitar". I'm reading his book now, but I'm afraid guitar building may be above my skill level. Maybe someday, when I'm too old to handle these big harpsichords, I'll try it.

Thanks, Ernie. It's been a very long and difficult day, and I really needed a good laugh. Ha ha ha ha ha.....

Ernie Miller
06-12-2012, 9:40 PM
Thanks, Ernie. It's been a very long and difficult day, and I really needed a good laugh. Ha ha ha ha ha.....

John - glad to have given you a chuckle, but I am serious. From what I've read, it seems to me that the woodworking involved in guitar making is more intense, especially in the use of hand tools. I think I would have a harder time building my first guitar than you would building your first harpsichord. Maybe I'm wrong, but from my vantage point, I don't think so.

Ernie

Ernie Miller
06-12-2012, 9:47 PM
Another GREAT instrument,Ernie!!! You should put in many more closeups. Your wife's work looks exquisite,too. I'd like to see it more closeup.

So,are any of the jacks stepped like on some English harpsichords? I never made a French style,and am rusty on the subject in general.

George,

I would have included more pix, but there is a 5 picture limit and I didn't want to bore people with multiple posts. If there's anything in particular that you'd like to see, I'd be happy to post again.

The jacks are not stepped like some English harpsichords (I've never built an English harpsichord). The French use a shove coupler with the front 8' jacks on the upper keyboard and the back 8' and 4' on the lower keyboard. When the upper keyboard is pushed in (shoved) all three ranks of strings can be played on the lower keyboard.

Thanks for your generous remarks. You already know that your comments are greatly appreciated by my wife and I.

Ernie

Philip Duffy
06-13-2012, 5:20 AM
Way beyond AWSOME! Philip

Angie Orfanedes
06-13-2012, 5:32 AM
That is a masterpiece. Your level of craftsmanship and patience are amazing.

Angie

Richard Wolf
06-13-2012, 7:51 AM
Always a treat to see your work. Beautiful instrument, Ernie.

Mike Wilkins
06-13-2012, 9:07 AM
Very impressive effort from both you and the Mrs. Nice bright shop also.

phil harold
06-13-2012, 10:38 AM
I dont think I can ever post my work now

That is Marvelous piece of work!

Jim Cunningham
06-13-2012, 10:46 AM
Stunning is the ,although inadequate, word for it

John Piwaron
06-13-2012, 11:06 AM
I am not worthy.

Honestly, I'll moan about a couple of dozen mortise and tenon joints in some A&C project. Maybe complain about some dovetails. your beautiful harpsichord is leagues beyond anything i make. Kudos! congratulations!

Alan Schaffter
06-13-2012, 11:39 AM
Folks, I've visited Ernie's shop and seen his latest creation a couple of time during the build- the photos don't do it justice! You can visit his website- Earnest Miller Harpsichords, to see more of his creations and some typical construction photos. Other than some small plastic parts, metal pins, and wire he buys, Ernie makes everything- case, sound board, keys, brass levers, turned legs and base, lettering, etc., etc.! He even casts his own gilded sound board medallions! And if you think his wife did a great job painting the soundboard, you should see some of the lid undersides she has done! Really accommodating for someone whose husband spends 7 days a week in the shop- hmmm maybe that's why? :D

(My little contribution, a single-purpose jig (not the I-BOX), only lessened the tedium cutting the 186 register slots, it added nothing to the overall craftsmanship or beauty of the piece!)

Tom Fischer
06-13-2012, 11:32 PM
Just amazing.

This is his wesite
http://www.ernestmillerharpsichords.com/workshop.htm

Don Morris
06-13-2012, 11:44 PM
Belongs in the Smithsonian. Wow.