PDA

View Full Version : Rail and stile router bit

Rick Potter
06-12-2012, 11:49 AM
I am looking for a rail and stile, one piece bit, that was introduced by either Sommerfeld or CMT within the last year. It had a rounded edge on the part that cuts the slot for the panel. This allowed stain to go into the panel area, to avoid unfinished parts if the panel shrunk. It was advertised in a magazine within the last year with a large ad, which naturally, I cannot find.

It was advertised as 'new and improved', but was actually just like the R&S bit I bought from Bob Rosendahl twenty years ago, which I love, but it's on its last legs. Rosendahls website no longer has them, looks like he is retired.

I have checked the respective web sites and cannot find it. I wonder if it has been pulled in a patent dispute??

Anyone seen one?

Rick Potter

PS: Yes, I usually stain the panel edges first, but this bit is really neat, and I want another.

scott vroom
06-12-2012, 2:11 PM
Rick, I haven't seen it but it sounds interesting to me for a different reason: No matter how careful I am and how slow I run the stock through my router table stile slot cutter, I get some tearout along that edge you are referring to. I've always thought a very slight rounding on that edge would go a long way toward reducing or eliminating the problem.

It makes sense that a slight rounding of that edge would solve the problem you mentioned. My current method is to stain the panel peior to assemble, thereby guaranteeing any shrinkage will reveal only stained wood.

I am looking for a rail and stile, one piece bit, that was introduced by either Sommerfeld or CMT within the last year. It had a rounded edge on the part that cuts the slot for the panel. This allowed stain to go into the panel area, to avoid unfinished parts if the panel shrunk. It was advertised in a magazine within the last year with a large ad, which naturally, I cannot find.

It was advertised as 'new and improved', but was actually just like the R&S bit I bought from Bob Rosendahl twenty years ago, which I love, but it's on its last legs. Rosendahls website no longer has them, looks like he is retired.

I have checked the respective web sites and cannot find it. I wonder if it has been pulled in a patent dispute??

Anyone seen one?

Rick Potter

PS: Yes, I usually stain the panel edges first, but this bit is really neat, and I want another.

Rick Potter
06-12-2012, 2:56 PM
Right you are Scott,

I forgot to mention that. It does make a cleaner edge, especially in oak, which is most everything I do. I stain the edges too, but I like to spray finish the whole door.

I can't be the only one who saw that ad, can I?

Rick Potter

Jay Jolliffe
06-12-2012, 4:47 PM
Have you gone to the Summerfield or CMT website's yet....If you find it post it for others.

Rick Potter
06-12-2012, 5:32 PM
Jay,

I have been to both websites, plus several others.

Rick P