PDA

View Full Version : Advice for a newby

Tim Null
06-12-2012, 11:41 AM
Hello all,

I have already slipped down the hand tool slope so I figured this was next!

I am looking to get into turning a bit to augment my other woodworking. I do boxes, small projects and furniture. Basically, whatever catches my attention. I want to turn some small tool handles as well as be able to turn legs.

I was thinking of a midi lathe. But what do you guys suggest? What is a good, basic set up and what tools do I need as a minimum to get started and what down the road?

I appreciate any thoughts.

Thanks.

Marty Eargle
06-12-2012, 11:55 AM
A price range would be very helpful in giving you some ideas. Woodturning can become a very pricey craft.

If you're looking to spend the minimum, I suggest picking up Harbor Freight's Midi lathe and 8 piece HSS tool set. Some people (with good reason) steer people away from HF machinery, but this lathe is a gem. It was my first lathe and still runs like a charm after well over a year of steady use. For just over $300 for the lathe and the tools, they are impossible to beat in my opinion.

http://www.harborfreight.com/12-inch-x-33-3-8-eighth-inch-wood-lathe-with-reversible-head-34706.html
http://www.harborfreight.com/8-piece-high-speed-steel-wood-lathe-chisel-set-47066.html

Tim Null
06-12-2012, 12:06 PM
Thanks Marty.

Price is not too much of a sticking point. I prefer to get at least middle of the range to get the most quality for the buck. In every situation, there is a price point or level that gets you the most return in performance for the dollar. Be it table saws or mountain bikes.

So what would be a good unit that is good quality without totally falling off the cliff? LOL

Kyle Iwamoto
06-12-2012, 12:21 PM
Thanks Marty.

So what would be a good unit that is good quality without totally falling off the cliff? LOL

I think you'll get a bunch of the new Delta Midi reccomendations. I do NOT own one, but I've spent time on them. They are a great lathe, and you may not nee to upgrade it. I'll second the HF tool set. It lacks a bowl gouge, but IMO you should spend money and invest in a really good bowl gouge. It will be the workhorse of your tool collection.
To aid in your fall into the vortex, you'll need to invest in a sharpening system of some sort. Most go with the Wolverine and slow speed grinder. Get a chuck. The Nova G3 is on the cheap end and is a really good chuck for the money. Welcome. Hang on to your wallet!

Chris Studley
06-12-2012, 12:31 PM
Ha... Marty had the quick answer. It seems you are looking for the more involved answer.

First off, I have the lathe and chisel set Marty mentioned and have since added to the chisel selection, but still use some of them. You could buy a Jet(1236) version if you'd prefer to spend more for the same thing. Its drawback (both HF and Jet alike) is the reeves drive variable speed. the Lowest it goes is 600rpm. This is fairly fast for an unbalanced chunk of wood but not too fast in regards to spindle work, and it goes up to 3000rpm which is fast enough. There is also the Delta 46-460.(about $700) it is a 12" swing machine but with electronic varable speed and a few more bells and whistles, but it is a short length so a bed extension may be needed depending on intended use.

Second, note that these are that start of a collection of items you will want (and need depending on what you are doing). Scroll chuck, Slow speed grinder, w/ proper wheels, Sharpening Jig. these add up quick. The HF set of tools are still worth it as there is a little learning curve w/ sharpening and its better to grind away steel while learning an a set that cost $60 instead of a single tool that cost $800-100.

From your post, It seems you are thinking spindle type turning. This doesn't require a large machine, the "Swing" (largest diameter allowable) isn't that big for table leg for example so the 12" swing on the above machine is plenty as well as the 3/4 hp motor is plenty for spindles.

That said, Many find that they bought there lathe to do some table legs or the like and then find after doing a small bowl or two that they need a bigger machine. In that case it is then worth dropping more on a bigger machine. (this is where I'm at right now)

If going bigger, the standby(s) around here seem to be the Jet 1642 EVS(with theesearound $2300), the 16" or 18" Grizzly(around $1500-$1800) and you are gotting a 220v machine at this point, with 1.5- 2hp. This is overkill for spindles in my opinion. Then of course there is the Powermatic, Robust and so on.

That is where I find myself now.

John Keeton
06-12-2012, 12:43 PM
Well, I will chime in. I started on the HF 34706 - great little lathe and for the money the best buy in that class. I "graduated" to the Delta 46-460, a fantastic lathe with a 12.5" swing that will easily turn anything in that size range. I honestly could do everything I have turned to date on the Delta, with the rare exception of a larger bowl. It has plenty of power, and with the bed extension, it will handle your need to turn legs for furniture.

Simply because I felt that retirement was approaching for me, and that prices were increasing exponentially, I opted to move up to the Jet 1642-2. It, too, is a great lathe, though again, there have been rare instances when the Delta would not have done as well. There are tasks the Jet might be called to do in the future that would exceed the power capability of the Delta, however.

I will add my vote for the HF tool set. I still use many of those tools on a regular basis, and if, like me, you abandon the skew you can regrind the two skews into nice special purpose scrapers!;) Kyle is correct on the bowl gouge - you might consider starting with a 3/8" Benjamin Best, but I would quickly consider going to a 1/2" of CPM steel.

The G3 is an excellent chuck for up to the capacity of the Delta, and you will need a good sharpening setup - that is of primary importance.

Tim Null
06-12-2012, 12:52 PM
Thanks Chris,

That seems to be a key issue. Am I going to do bowls? If not, smaller is fine. If yes, then larger now is better than smaller now and larger later. I don't know. I am not planning on becoming a turner to the exclusion of other work. I had thought of it as a supplement. For tables, etc my choice now is square legs or trying to round them by hand. I tried a tool handle by hand and it came out ok, but not to the level I wanted. I realized without a lathe, it would never look right.

So it seems if I want to spindle turn, I can get by without selling children or any vital organs. If I want to do bowls, etc then the wallet takes a much bigger hit.

David DeCristoforo
06-12-2012, 1:15 PM
The first thing you are going to need is a bigger bank account. Might as well face the facts. They don't call this "the vortex" for nothing. Oh I, know… you're "just starting out" and want to get an "entry level" setup. But you will find that no matter what you end up with, you will need something bigger or better before you even get it out of the box. So you might as well get with it right up front. Get yourself a Robust American Beauty. And a full set of both Thompson and Glaser turning tools. And chucks. You will need at least three or four of those. And yes, a sharpening setup consisting of a good slow speed grinder with CBN wheels and a full Wolverine package.

Then you will need a good laser guided hollowing rig (most here prefer the Monster and you might as well get the works there too with both the captured and articulated systems). Of course, you will also want a dust sucker, a good face shield with air supply and a vacuum chucking system. That is going to take a chunk of change but it's really just the beginning. There are literally hundreds of "little" specialty items like thread chasers and sanding stuff (you could spend a year's income just on sanding stuff!) and Rubber Chuckys and drills and different centers and… well… the list is endless. But all of these little accessory items can easily pale your investment in the lathe itself. Then there are things like piercing setups, pyro systems, airbrushes and the like which you will inevitably want. Oh and yes… photography! Can't forget the photo tent and lighting stuff and a digital camera and Photoshop and all that.

But none of this is going to be a problem as long as you follow my first suggestion. I'm just trying to save you a lot of trouble here. You might as well dive into the deep end because, as surely as the sun rises, that's where you will end up.

PS Don't forget to budget for a chainsaw, a big band saw, a big boonie crasher truck, a trailer and an engine hoist...

John C Lawson
06-12-2012, 1:27 PM
PS Don't forget to budget for a chainsaw, a big band saw, a big boonie crasher truck, a trailer and an engine hoist...

And the 30' x 40' shop out back, and the 12' x 20' shed for wood storage. All with full environmental controls. And the study area with the computer, TV and DVD player, and book shelves.

Tim Rinehart
06-12-2012, 1:27 PM
By the way...the slow speed grinder from Woodcraft (very popular option by most accounts) is currently on sale at Woodcraft.
For what it's worth, you may want to try contacting Craft Supplies about any deals on demo lathes in your size/dollar range. There may be some great bargains to be had.
Go to their site woodturnerscatalog.com

Chris Studley
06-12-2012, 1:29 PM
HA!! Doug you should copy and save that! In my 6 months or so nn the Creek I've seen the same question come up and not once have I seen said so perfectly.

Tim Null
06-12-2012, 1:57 PM
You guys crack me up! David, I think I know a good plastic surgeon who can do something about that tongue that seems to be stuck in your cheek......... but the problem is that I know he is also kinda serious. I have been on more slippery slopes in this hobby than a game of Chutes N Ladders!

I went from a one car garage shop to 1300 square feet of industrial space with an office and a bathroom. My neighbors in the adjoining spaces keep asking me what I am selling. I tell them it is my hobby space and that I run a consulting company for my day job. They smile........and ask me again what I am selling. LOL

So I think I am good for space, but I can always see if the space next to me is available.........2600 feet enough you think?

Roger Chandler
06-12-2012, 4:19 PM
Well Tim, if that did not scare you away by now............you are doomed my friend!!! :eek::D:D;) The sad thing is that even if what DD said is "tongue in cheek" it is also all the unadulterated truth!!!

I will never give up flat work............I love to build furniture and cabinets...........that being said I got my first lathe to turn table legs..........now I don't have room to move in my shop for all the turning stuff, and now I want and need a bigger shop, and more wood storage space, and a kiln and there are more turning tools I want, and eventually I want an American Beauty lathe by Robust, that is unless they come out with a better more super duper model, and I want to add to my hollowing setup and.......................:eek::eek::eek: whew, I'm tired just thinking about it all! :D;)

Thom Sturgill
06-12-2012, 7:04 PM
I think most would agree that 'best bang for your buck' delpends on what you want to do. The delta (with bed extension) may do all you need, but the Jet 1642 is so-o-o much more lathe (I own one), and the Nova users lover theirs... The next step up is the Powermatic 3250B - plenty of power, big swing, long bed with an extension available. Be hard to outgrow unless you become a dedicated turner. As for the other stuff - chucks, tools, etc - budget for them - you will be buying them!!!

Bernie Weishapl
06-12-2012, 7:09 PM
Lots of great advice. If I were going to just stick with a midi I would look at the Jet 1220 VS. Great lathe and great customer service.

Rick Markham
06-12-2012, 8:02 PM
Welcome Tim! I too was a hand tool junky until I wandered in here! :D

I have to say, joking aside, I have to agree with David D. This aspect of woodworking has a habit of changing from "table legs, and tool handles" to a full blown, all consuming (mentally/monitarily), in desperate need of an intervention type obsession. My best advice is before you buy anything, take a whole lot of time and look at turnings and figure out what REALLY interests you. That will give you an idea of where you might be headed on this journey, and you can better determine what equipment will suit you. I personally took the "head long dive" off of the 3rd platform into the deep end, but I also knew I REALLY REALLY wanted to learn this aspect of woodworking. I think I have "saved" money, by buying only quality tooling/ tools etc. I certainly have saved a tremendous amount of frustration, (it's only what I create for myself now :rolleyes:.)

With that being said, I think the real trick is to realize that there is a "gadget" and "doo-dad" that can (and some do) do everything and anything. Some are hype, some aren't. If you start with traditional tools, and learn them then most of the time you don't need any of the widgets, doo dads, and miracle tools. (Those you can aquire later anywho, if your heart so desires ;))

You are a handtool user, what sharpening set up do you currently use? (That's another aspect to consider in this too)

Good luck! Remember to post any questions we are allways glad to enable... err... help another turner out :D

Alan Zenreich
06-12-2012, 8:33 PM
"I am looking to get into turning a bit to augment my other woodworking."

You will have to pardon us all. It's difficult to answer your question when we're laughing so hard.
We've all been there, and been sucked down into the woodturning vortex.

Ask John K. about his 'just wanting to turn some table legs' when he started.

So, although you may think you know where you're headed, we're traveling this lovely, winding road together... we have a head start on the journey (some have been on the road for 60 years or more!)

Enjoy the journey, you've got some fine traveling companions.

Tim Null
06-12-2012, 8:52 PM
Stands up, clears throat.........."Hello, my name is Tim......" Group responds...."Hi Tim!" "And I am addicted to turning......"

So this end of the forum is just one big 12 step meeting for turners, except no one really wants to be rehabilitated.......LOL

"Gee, from up here it sure is a long way down".........gulp. "Don't worry", says a voice from the forum, just try to keep your head above water. It's not that deep...." Chuckles can be heard from the growing crowd that has gathered....

Prashun Patel
06-12-2012, 10:55 PM
Um, I suggest you contact Derek Gilmer. He's got a fantastic deal on a Delta 46-460 with a lot of accessories and tools.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?187624-Complete-turning-setup-Delta-46-460-varigrind-slow-speed-grinder-etc-Central-Ar

Alan Trout
06-12-2012, 11:32 PM
If you follow double D's advice it will save you money in the long run. It sounds like a smart *ss answer but in reality it is pretty accurate. If you got the cash start big. If not just bleed the bank dry over the next few years.

Alan

Tim Null
06-13-2012, 11:20 AM
Thanks Alan.

I know DD's advice was actually accurate in the guise of sarcasm. My response was as well.

I appreciate all of the words of wisdom. I know that on this forum I can always get great advice and honest opinions.