PDA

View Full Version : Best way to clean a bandsaw blade?

Michael Heffernan
06-12-2012, 9:57 AM
I just resawed 12 boards 1-1/2" x 6" x 9' of 150 year old reclaimed southern yellow pine (floors from an old mill in eastern PA) for a table top for a customer. The pitch left on the blade was incredible. Had to stop every couple of boards and clean it off as best I could with a soft brass wire brush. The last few boards were a little tough to saw. After it was all done, the pitch build-up on the teeth and in the gullets was considerable.
I spent about an hour spraying on Boeshield Blade and Bit cleaner, exposed section of the blade on the saw by section. Spray it on, brass wire brush the pitch off and lots of paper towels to wipe it down, then rotate the blade to the next section, repeat. I got it nice and clean. Now I have to clean the bearings.
As I usually resaw kiln dried hardwoods, I've never had to clean the band off this way. Grizzly G0514X2 saw, 133" x 3/4" Timberwolf resaw band.

Anybody have a quicker, more efficient way to clean a band? Do you soak it? TS blades are easy; a 14" diameter plastic pan for me, spray on the cleaner and brass wire brush it clean.

Let me know what you all do.

PS. Decided that the Timberwolf blades are not so good. Sharp out of the box, but dull quickly. Don't have the greenbacks for a Lenox Tri-master right now. Any less expensive suggestions? Or should I just bit the bullet and get a Lenox?

Bill White
06-12-2012, 10:05 AM
Get a box of Arm & Hammer WASHING SODA (not laundry detergent). Mix up 1/2 cup in warm to hot water. Soak the blade for 10 tp 15 min. A light brushing and rinse in hot water. You're done. I usually spray a coat of light lube afterwards. My sawblades stay like new, and the stuff if readily available at Wally World. Cheap too.
Bill

Myk Rian
06-12-2012, 10:09 AM
Whatever you do, don't use a wire brush, even a soft one.
It will scratch the blade surface and allow the build-up to happen faster.

mreza Salav
06-12-2012, 10:44 AM
I second washing soda. I use an old tooth brush or something similar.

Brian Kincaid
06-12-2012, 2:15 PM
Coil and soak in your 14" pan. If the blade is cheap enough consider how much $$ you are spending on solvent and time and just buy a new blade.
I have a carbide tip blade, but when I did some lumber milling I swapped it out for a cheaper blade 'just in case'. Pine is not welcome on my bandsaw due to pitch build up issues on the bearings and blade. I have read/heard that heat accelerates dulling of cutting edges, pitch builds and traps heat.
-Brian